Lets Stop this now (money making from selling entries)

Scott2luvit

Too much admin....just ignore

TTTTRRRRAAAACCCKKKK!!! :devil:

Far less admin than setting up a hit squad.

Yep, more admin than spending the extra dosh and bending over so that someone else can make some money off a pastime you enjoy!  It is a viable choice for those inclined to dodge the admin tho.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Or keep it simple

step 0:

You make an enquiry to get an entry and find out it is indeed being sold at a profit. You don't particularly care whether you have mass subscription to this view.  You collect the sellers details along with copies of info showing increased price and send this to the Cycle Tour Trust.

You do not then proceed with the remainder of the steps mentioned....

Or keep it simple

step 0:

You make an enquiry to get an entry and find out it is indeed being sold at a profit. You don't particularly care whether you have mass subscription to this view.  You collect the sellers details along with copies of info showing increased price and send this to the Cycle Tour Trust.

You do not then proceed with the remainder of the steps mentioned....

ok, that's a brilliant plan leave it up to the wonderful folk at cycletour to follow through, but why the need for the thread in the first place then?

I really feel for the one oke with his advert, he must have been digitally plundered by now. He'll be wishing he never even thought of entering.

comparing a pension to a luxury cycle race......... yes, I couldn't help noticing all the CEO and FD i was sitting next to at S2C,B&B and W2W another 5k would hurt them 1 bit, average bike was about 40K....

you are quite right, but if these a-holes did not grab the tickets then most of these people might have gotten the chance to buy their own ticket,

You speak of this as if this is a majority issue. Its not like somebody buys all 30 000 tickets for the Argus and then sells them at a markup. So don't blame people selling tickets at a markup for your lack of an entry, its not their fault.

I for one tend to give my entries away that I don't use. But that doesn't mean somebody cannot charge for it. If its too much don't buy it!

Oh please, the hub doesn't even take entries for FREE, you think these cheapskates are going to pay double, I offered for free 3 towers entries and 2 hotel rooms NOT ONE SINGLE PERSON WANTED IT

BIGGER FISH TO FRY BUD

Big difference between WANTING and MEANS. I wanted it but even with the entry and hotel offer I would not have been able to take it, unfortunately.

But I do think for those wanting to ride a race, and not being able to because someone else bought an entry to make a profit, is not ideal. 

Supply and Demand except in this case demand to pay the original price plus sub cost.

ok, that's a brilliant plan leave it up to the wonderful folk at cycletour to follow through, but why the need for the thread in the first place then?

I really feel for the one oke with his advert, he must have been digitally plundered by now. He'll be wishing he never even thought of entering.

Probably asking for a way to find an entry without having to pay extra as the principle of that is like trying to swallow some upchuck that's made it all the way to your mouth...

Now he has a solution.

I feel nothing for the oke with his advert if he is trying to make money off his entry. I particularly smaak that if he gets roasted into touch the likelihood of someone else trying this here will be significantly less and then we pretty much end up closing a large portion of the loop outside of gumtree and olx etc to try and fleece entries.

Your example makes no sense.

If several guys needed quick links BEFORE the race started, and someone buys up all the available links to sell them IMMEDIATELY at a huge profit to those that need it, that is a different story.

Guys baught up entries they never intended using, just to sell it off a week later at 100% profit.

Not the same thing at all

Yip......again......because my other senses are tingling.....in a pool with a Heineken (both cold) in the bush......just chilling.

PS: do a search for threads where cyclist complain about inflated prices for spares by LBSs at venues of stage races and other major events.......makes no sense!

You also don't need to be a prof to understand free market system...

Do some reading on what a truly free market is. Hint: it's got something to do with vulnerable people and exploitation.

I cycle on the pay it forward system. If I see someone broken down and I can help I do without expecting reimbursement for required bits. The strangest thing is that whenever I've had an issue by some weird principle I've been treated the same way.

+1

......and almost 2 cases of "Promised" beers post-race ;-)......however don't buy the brand....... tastes like hot air.

I am wondering how many of the Hubbers here INSIST on paying the full price when desperate guys start selling them because some personal misfortune makes it impossible to ride. Isn't it "reverse scalping" to take advantage of the situation? Just reminiscing about free market, morality and real life...

my oh my oh my oh my. Let's just put our panties back on and worry about the important things out there, like the ebola virus, jacob zuma's corruption and dane piedt's shoulder. I don't think it's ethical to charge ridiculous amounts for an argus(sorry, i'm still calling it that in my mind) entry but it's not such a big deal.

there are threeFive things here that make me just wonder what the fuss is.

A) the rules. Yes it is against the cycletour rules to scalp the tickets for a higher price. But remember when a rule is stupid, you may ignore it. We live in an open free market economy, if something has high demand you may charge more for it. How the hell are they even going to follow this up? They would actually need to get bank statements from BOTH parties to prove it. If it's cash they're f@#$%ed. The easy run around is to sell an argus entry and a box of smarties for R1000,. There's definitely no law against selling smarties for R570.

If only people cared as much about this law.....which gets broken, a lot

2.17 A rider shall not dispose of any litter along the Cycle Tour course except in refuse bins.

R) The money. ok, so the Argus(a 'charity') is missing out on the extra money that the scalping is making. hmmmm, not really. For a start they've already hiked the price point so there's more in the kitty to start with. Also, if you really think people are doing this deliberately, you need to remember that each scalped ticket that is successfully substituted nets another R220 into the coffers.

G)the numbers. It is common knowledge that the Argus is hugely oversubscribed and gets sold out six months before race date. Come feb there are loads of entries going for a sub some gratis. Come race day and about 10000 people don't even turn up. If you buy an overinflated entry now, you're either desperate or impatient. Also it's not that easy to accumulate these high demand argus entries before you 'sell' them on. you need to actually register each entry to a particular person and go through a whole rigmarole. I don't think this is a widespread practice, a few chancers here and there but most people want to ride.

U) should chill out more

S) should also remember that the cycletour guys got burnt before with their silly rules with the borat incident.

Contentious, but well thought out post!

Probably asking for a way to find an entry without having to pay extra as the principle of that is like trying to swallow some upchuck that's made it all the way to your mouth...

Now he has a solution.

I feel nothing for the oke with his advert if he is trying to make money off his entry. I particularly smaak that if he gets roasted into touch the likelihood of someone else trying this here will be significantly less and then we pretty much end up closing a large portion of the loop outside of gumtree and olx etc to try and fleece entries.

look I don't disagree with you, but this is really not a big deal. If this was a widespread issue there would be more adverts, but (unless all those who are so incensed at the situation can find more) it's only wanted adverts out there.

Can we just move on or shall I continue to play devil's advocate?

http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/first-world-problems-13.jpg

I am wondering how many of the Hubbers here INSIST on paying the full price when desperate guys start selling them because some personal misfortune makes it impossible to ride. Isn't it "reverse scalping" to take advantage of the situation? Just reminiscing about free market, morality and real life...

http://memecrunch.com/meme/1YH8Q/booyakasha/image.png

... this is really not a big deal ...

Can we just move on or shall I continue to play devil's advocate?

It is actually quite a big deal.

Cycling is already percieved as an elitist sport that only the more affluent can really afford. Already events like the Epic are out of reach of the average person. Entry touting doesn't make this situation any better.

Its simple, if its against the rules report it. If not, hate on.

speaking of rules. the RULES we really should be reporting everyone who transgresses them, no?

2.15     A rider shall not use foul or offensive language or make offensive, indecent or inappropriate gestures.

use the F word and you're banned for life!

2.16     A rider shall wear clothing appropriate for a family event at all times.

whatever the f@#$ that means? pretty sure my family don't dig me rocking up in lycra to a wedding/picnic/barmitzvah? what about white bibshorts?

2.17     A rider shall not dispose of any litter along the Cycle Tour course except in refuse bins.

yup, let's crucify all those gu wrapper droppers. and what about that guy who lost his waterbottle? BAN HIM!

2.20     A rider shall complete the Cycle Tour course with his/her own effort and shall not receive any assistance in this regard other than drafting behind another rider or riders participating in the Cycle Tour.  The Trust or its designee has the discretion to allow minor assistance by pushing but not towing.  Towing is only allowed in the case of special entries for disabled riders.

what about the people who push their wives up chappies WITHOUT the prior express permission of the trust beforehand? BAN THEM!

Archived