Spez Comp Carbon vs BMC MTB

JacoM

Both priced just below R50k. (mid R40k after discount)

Both carbon frame with alum back triangle.

Anybody here with experience of both?

Ride quality

Durablility

etc.

I know, it is a very subjective Q, but which one is the better bike?

Thanks

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BMC make great bikes,

have not owned one but mates have.

Spez is a more popular brand name but i prefer the BMC's look.

Doubt you can go wrong with either.

Put it this way... How many Specialized bikes do you see? How many BMC bikes do you see? That should be some indication!

That's in SA....and a small market.

BMC is very popular in Europe and the service is great

Both priced just below R50k. (mid R40k after discount)

Both carbon frame with alum back triangle.

Anybody here with experience of both?

Ride quality

Durablility

etc.

I know, it is a very subjective Q, but which one is the better bike?

Thanks

6 of 1 and 1/2 a dozen of the other....

Ride them - see which one you like and go with that - they are both good brands and great rides.

Spez Camber.

I'm biased 'cause I own one. I've never ridden a BMC, so can't comment. 

If you go for the Spez, you'll have a larger aftersale network of Spez shops, as opposed to the BMC. 

I have a BMC road bike and have nothing but compliments for it.  I know that most people will love what ever bike they're on, but mine has been absolutely sublime since I bought it.  I got it new in 2012.  It's also carbon, and everything on it just shouts quality.  

It's extremely comfortable, smooth and fast.  I'd have no hesitation in recommending BMC as a brand.  I'd love to get a BMC mountain bike!

They're also the current cross country world champions! 

Don't be a sheep on a Spez, get the BMC.  You will not be disappointed. 

Okay. The Fourstroke is a brilliant bike, and has a far better suspension platform than the Epic (mirroring the DW link / maestro system) and has good local backup - a mate of mine has had a warranty replacement frame (car drove into the back of him while the bike was on the rack) and they sorted it out within a coupe of days. 

So - my vote is for the BMC. 

I dont like bikes with the suspension design the Bmc has. I much prefer the look of the Epic, and the Epic will have the brain suspension, which is costly to maintain, and you either love or hate it.

Because there are so many sheep, like myself, who ride Spez, you will sell it much easier one day.

I was speaking to someone who has had both. Originally the s-works epic. He loved the bike but became irritated with the brain service - not just the cost, but also the fact that you don't have the bike for a week every year while Spez Stellenbosch service the brain.

Service for front and back brain is now over R2000, which I personally think is ridiculous. My first Spez service was R4300, my first Land Rover service a week later was R3300!

So, back to the story, this guy moved over to the BMC and has been very happy. Doesn't think he will go back to Spez until the brain service is more reasonable.

Having said that, I love my Epic and wouldn't think of moving to anything else. I haven't personally ridden the BMC, but have no reason to.

I have taken the BMC for a proper trial and ...I am impressed. Not considering the Spez. anymore. Can see myself getting frustrated with the "brain".

The BMC suspension is very "solid" and moves only when it has to.

However, the Scott SPark 910 seems to be good value for R. Cycle LAb (agents for Scott) closed down in Somerset West, so I could not compare the Scott with BMC. 

Your views and experience with the Scott (and BMC)?

I have taken the BMC for a proper trial and ...I am impressed. Not considering the Spez. anymore. Can see myself getting frustrated with the "brain".

The BMC suspension is very "solid" and moves only when it has to.

However, the Scott SPark 910 seems to be good value for R. Cycle LAb (agents for Scott) closed down in Somerset West, so I could not compare the Scott with BMC. 

Your views and experience with the Scott (and BMC)?

BMC. Scott NEEDS the lockout on the shock in order to pedal properly without any significant bob, and is very much XC race oriented. 

BMC. It's got a far better suspension platform, and, well, it's not a Scott.

Archived