Spez Comp Carbon vs BMC MTB

JacoM

If you want to stick out from the crowd.........get the BMC

If you want to be part of the crowd..........get the Specialized

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay. The Fourstroke is a brilliant bike, and has a far better suspension platform than the Epic (mirroring the DW link / maestro system) and has good local backup - a mate of mine has had a warranty replacement frame (car drove into the back of him while the bike was on the rack) and they sorted it out within a coupe of days. 

So - my vote is for the BMC. 

Surely that is not a warranty replacement but a insurance claim?

Surely that is not a warranty replacement but a insurance claim?

Sheeee-yit. You're right. It WAS an insurance claim, but the deal he got from the distro when he was looking at replacing the frame was an awesome one. Top of the line frame 'cos they were getting rid of their sixer stock. This was about 2 years ago or so... 

There are two types of people.

(I'm expecting a bit of an ear bashing with what I'm about to say ;) )

Those who love Specialized.

Those who hate (hate might be a strong word in most cases, perhaps "dislike" is better suited) Specialized.

The latter , I assume, do so not because the bikes are rubbish but they see it as conforming ( Yes, I'm generalizing as I'm sure there are some who REALLY don't enjoy the feel of the bikes, but the brand can't be as big as it is if they made poo bikes)

I, don't conform, I don't do so to  "stand out in the crowd" but I like what I like, and if it happens to a popular product, be it a bicycle, pair of shoes, peri peri chicken or soccer player endorsed undies, so be it.

Yes, I've digressed off the OP's topic , but this is why.

Yes, BMC might be big and popular in Europe,but this is sunny SA and Spez in SA is pretty awesome IMO.

Jaco, I've had NOTHING but amazing service since being a "conforming" Spez Comp Carbon rider. My lbs had so much patience with me for months as I jumped between the Epic and Camber test bikes.

I Eventually decided on a Camber and it is AWESOME.

I've NEVER ridden a bike that descends as fast. 

Chat to your closest Spez dealer and arrange a test bike.

Yes, you might not be able to test a BMC but perhaps riding a Camber will help you decide., Ride it properly, not just around the block or in the parking lot, ride a route you're used to and know.

just my 2c :D

I have the Spez Camber Carbon 2014 what a fantastic bike personally I say guys can have the Epic and I think that's why Spez gets slammed as most people only refer too the Epic or know the Epic, as mentioned above take the Camber for a trail and trial outside the parking lot.

Trust me BMC any other bike will be blown out the water and BTW I also have the Giant Anthem which is good but the Spez hammers it and it has std Fox suspension No brain.

I have a BMC road bike and have nothing but compliments for it.  I know that most people will love what ever bike they're on, but mine has been absolutely sublime since I bought it.  I got it new in 2012.  It's also carbon, and everything on it just shouts quality.  

It's extremely comfortable, smooth and fast.  I'd have no hesitation in recommending BMC as a brand.  I'd love to get a BMC mountain bike!

They're also the current cross country world champions! 

Don't be a sheep on a Spez, get the BMC.  You will not be disappointed. 

If Nino didn't go playing on the road with orica i'm pretty sure they wouldn't be. 

Lets not turn this into a vs Spaz vs the rest debate please. I would not buy a Bmc because, there are no dealers in my area, and very very few at all. This means I cant negotiate a good price, and have to drive miles if I have warrantee issues etc. Specialized with have many dealers, and you can drive the price down because of this. 

Lets not turn this into a vs Spaz vs the rest debate please. I would not buy a Bmc because, there are no dealers in my area, and very very few at all. This means I cant negotiate a good price, and have to drive miles if I have warrantee issues etc. Specialized with have many dealers, and you can drive the price down because of this.

There is a BMC dealer in Somerset West - just around the corner from you.

I have seen some insane pricing being offered on last years top of the range XTR equipped bikes....

The support my race partner gets from BMC is fantastic - even free servicing at the Epic... and the Fourstroke is a fabulous handling bike (and I have ridden the BMC and the Spez on test)and it is an EXTREMELY difficult choice to make between them - the key differences between them to me are:

1 - BMC has a lower stack height than the Epic (this is good if you have a relatively low saddle height (like me) to reach measurement.

2 - Epic can take 2 bottle inside the frame (BMC only 1)

Suspension wise - Epic has the brain, but that means it chooses the settings for you all the time (sometimes good, sometimes great, sometimes totally wrong), and the BMC has the Fox CTD suspension - but it is set so well you can almost just leave it in Trail mode all the time, with only tar needing lockout and the worst possible downhills needing Decent mode.

Like I say - you have to ride it to see what you like most - they are both very very good.....

They are so close I can't decide.... but I will.... eventually... :)

There is a BMC dealer in Somerset West - just around the corner from you.

I have seen some insane pricing being offered on last years top of the range XTR equipped bikes....

The support my race partner gets from BMC is fantastic - even free servicing at the Epic... and the Fourstroke is a fabulous handling bike (and I have ridden the BMC and the Spez on test)and it is an EXTREMELY difficult choice to make between them - the key differences between them to me are:

1 - BMC has a lower stack height than the Epic (this is good if you have a relatively low saddle height (like me) to reach measurement.

2 - Epic can take 2 bottle inside the frame (BMC only 1)

Suspension wise - Epic has the brain, but that means it chooses the settings for you all the time (sometimes good, sometimes great, sometimes totally wrong), and the BMC has the Fox CTD suspension - but it is set so well you can almost just leave it in Trail mode all the time, with only tar needing lockout and the worst possible downhills needing Decent mode.

Like I say - you have to ride it to see what you like most - they are both very very good.....

They are so close I can't decide.... but I will.... eventually... :)

Hahaha, thats a 120km round trip. Might aswell drive to Cape Town cbd. 

Both priced just below R50k. (mid R40k after discount)

Both carbon frame with alum back triangle.

Anybody here with experience of both?

Ride quality

Durablility

etc.

I know, it is a very subjective Q, but which one is the better bike?

Thanks

I see you mention durability as your second important point for consideration .That usually means riding it more than having it serviced .That excludes spez for me

Hahaha, thats a 120km round trip. Might aswell drive to Cape Town cbd.

Ride your bike.... good training for you..... :)

The figure I heard for last years XTR bike was 62k... don't quote me... :)

Archived