Is it worth the effort - Advice needed

eelvio

Hey Guys and Gals

So after a few years of coastal holidays and the start of my MTB riding on the Knysna trails last year, we will be doing things differently this year. We will be heading to JHB for about 12 days over the festive season. This is a considerable amount of time away from my local trails and riding, not the best option but we will make the most of it either way.

So the question is do I bother taking the bikes? Now before you say well duh why not, here is some further info:

·         We have a vehicle which can be used but I would not want to dirty or damage it, can probably make a plan with blankets etc as the backseat folds.

·         We do not have travel bags or boxes for the flight so would need to rent, if it can work to drop in JHB then pick up again to travel back to CPT to save paying for the full time away.

·         We have two young kids coming with and travelling with them is difficult enough in terms of space so gonna be tough with bikes

·         The wife rides but is still getting into it. She rides a few times a month where I ride a few times a week

·         She has done Tokai once and Majik Forest a few times, I enjoy the trails and like a good downhill single track thrown in which I ride slower with her.

·         We are both very weary of JHB/Gauteng after a driveway hold up/hijacking about 2 years back, never really got over it.

·         Staying in Craighall across from The Spruit so I suppose that would be default option and maybe elsewhere depending on time, distance and fun factor.

Not sure what other info would make a difference or help with some good advice.

Is it safe to ride alone or with the wife? Is there a fun factor at The Spruit or is it mostly flat single/ jeep track combos, where endurance will be the winner?

What distance options are there or where would I find a good map of the area to try and plot some routes?

Cheers

Lee

Guest notmyname

Just in time for a warm up before Friday.. my 2c there's more to blozi mtb than the spruit. It serves a purpose but there is more...

I am also up there over xmas, so keen to hear about good trails to ride. Will be based in the souf.

Sorry to hijack your fred eelvio

Hey Guys and Gals

So after a few years of coastal holidays and the start of my MTB riding on the Knysna trails last year, we will be doing things differently this year. We will be heading to JHB for about 12 days over the festive season. This is a considerable amount of time away from my local trails and riding, not the best option but we will make the most of it either way.

So the question is do I bother taking the bikes? Now before you say well duh why not, here is some further info:

·         We have a vehicle which can be used but I would not want to dirty or damage it, can probably make a plan with blankets etc as the backseat folds.

·         We do not have travel bags or boxes for the flight so would need to rent, if it can work to drop in JHB then pick up again to travel back to CPT to save paying for the full time away.

·         We have two young kids coming with and travelling with them is difficult enough in terms of space so gonna be tough with bikes

·         The wife rides but is still getting into it. She rides a few times a month where I ride a few times a week

·         She has done Tokai once and Majik Forest a few times, I enjoy the trails and like a good downhill single track thrown in which I ride slower with her.

·         We are both very weary of JHB/Gauteng after a driveway hold up/hijacking about 2 years back, never really got over it.

·         Staying in Craighall across from The Spruit so I suppose that would be default option and maybe elsewhere depending on time, distance and fun factor.

Not sure what other info would make a difference or help with some good advice.

Is it safe to ride alone or with the wife? Is there a fun factor at The Spruit or is it mostly flat single/ jeep track combos, where endurance will be the winner?

What distance options are there or where would I find a good map of the area to try and plot some routes?

Cheers

Lee

That to me is the dealbreaker - why I wouldn't bring the bikes along. However, if there is someone to look after the kids, then maybe.

And I'm with Soapbox - there is A LOT more to MTB'ing in Jozi than the Spruit! 

Leave the bikes at home.

I may be opening a few can of worms but honestly in my opinion, nothing compares to the trails of the Western / Eastern Cape.

I am also up there over xmas, so keen to hear about good trails to ride. Will be based in the souf.

thaba trails for you

Guest notmyname

Hakahana, VG if you're up for a day trip into the country. Modders, NF, heia safari(lekker for kids) avianto, groenkloof(pta), pwc bike park(apparently it's like an aftercare anyway) lol. Rietvlei, Thaba trails. Can't think of more now. I should be paying attention to this lecture..

All good!

That to me is the dealbreaker - why I wouldn't bring the bikes along. However, if there is someone to look after the kids, then maybe.

And I'm with Soapbox - there is A LOT more to MTB'ing in Jozi than the Spruit! 

Granny and Grandpa will be around all the time, same flights to and fro.

Uncles in Jozi where we will stay

Would not mind elsewhere but depends on distance and time to get a ride in.

Leave the bikes at home.

I may be opening a few can of worms but honestly in my opinion, nothing compares to the trails of the Western / Eastern Cape.

So just up the gym swipes!

Just think to yourself - will the hassle of bringing the bikes be worth one, two or maybe even three rides?

there's places in Jozi / pta where you can rent a bike - might not be the same as riding your beloved, but you can get your fix and test out the local scene.

Rietvlei / rosemary hill / big red barn / voortrekker monument /pwc - off the top of my head - has rentals.

Groenkloof has rentals. I think Rosemary Hill too.

I have done the travelling with a bike in the opposite direction many times and have decided that flying with a bike is a pain in the ass. I rent unless I drive down. Taking the kids' space for your bikes on such a long trip may end up as suicide...

It is a different style of MTBing but I think it is always worth the effort.

In short: Rent

Archived