Building Power

VO2max

Bikemax - Looks like an Interesting article, as the boss is not to keen on non work related topics at work, I had to go straight to the conclusion part? will read the rest on the way home tonight.

From personal experience I have tried low cadence (60 - 85 rpm) intervals and found that it made my legs sore (same kind of soreness you get from weights), something which I have never experienced from other forms of cycle training before, this I interpreted as muscle overload similar to weights but better because it involved the exact muscles I wanted to strengthen - my cycling muscles. Hence the reason I believe it would be better than doing the usual gym leg work.

The trick for normal road riders / racing I believe would be to mix the low, normal and high cadence together while maintaining a specified effort level (HR or Wattage), depending on what stage of training you are at (early, mid, end of season) instead of doing just low cadence sessions.

Whether this assumed muscle strengthen process is beneficial seems (I stand to be corrected not having read the whole article) to be what the article refers to and indeed may not be necessary, unless you compete in the more power specific disciplines of cycling (track, bmx , downhill, 4x , sprints, etc?.)

At the end of the day having done some low cadence sessions in the past and comparing my ?Fitness test hill climb? (on the same 5.4 km hill) results my times did improve, what exactly brought about the improvement ? Who knows for sure.

What I do know is most girls can leg press or squat more than me Smile 

At least you don't need to worry about  it  affecting your cycling performance then LOL

At least you don't need to worry about  it  affecting your cycling performance then LOL

Actually not fairing to well on the bike against the girls either - some english speaking girl in Univega kit gave me a shock about a month or so ago, think her name was Nicole ... apparently she lives in the neighbourhood and rides for fun Wink

Actually not fairing to well on the bike against the girls either - some english speaking girl in Univega kit gave me a shock about a month or so ago' date=' think her name was Nicole ... apparently she lives in the neighbourhood and rides for fun Wink
[/quote']

Yes, I think most of us would bring our ride to a speedy end if she came rolling alongside Confused

Mr brother used to work with a guy at the Sports Science Institute in Cape Town.  He is now at the Edinburgh Sports Science Institute.  He is creditied with much of the success of the British Track Team due to his weight training program - but that is explosive power - short distance track events.

Mr brother used to work with a guy at the Sports Science Institute in Cape Town.  He is now at the Edinburgh Sports Science Institute.  He is creditied with much of the success of the British Track Team due to his weight training program - but that is explosive power - short distance track events.

No debate there..any of my comments pertain to endurance cycling only.

I know you are pretty clued up on power etc - are you using Performance Manager ?

IMO it is the biggest single breakthrough in training planning I have seen in a long while and I am having great success with it to plan peaks and manage training load.

Anyone with access to power data and not using it is missing a big trick.

Yes, Performance Manager is amazing.

About a month ago I struggled with a bit of an upper respiratory infection which set me back a week in my training.  It's really interesting seeing the effect of that coming through in terms of Chronic Training Load.  My CTL levels are only now starting to go above where they were about 3 weeks ago Unhappy

Yes' date=' Performance Manager is amazing.

About a month ago I struggled with a bit of an upper respiratory infection which set me back a week in my training.  It's really interesting seeing the effect of that coming through in terms of Chronic Training Load.  My CTL levels are only now starting to go above where they were about 3 weeks ago Unhappy
[/quote']

Whats also cool is how it allows you to plan the increase inload to avoid those URTI's aswell.

I have a very good spreadsheet that mimics the PM but in excel - the advantage being it allows me to plan forward to a peak using forecast TSS - mail me at peter@bikemax.co.za if you want a copy.

U guys talking in code againWink

Progress would be when they can explain everything you guys know in simple engleeesh - you know like - ride untill it hurts, then slow down untill the little black spots disappear....
SwissVan2006-09-14 13:25:09

Progress would be when they can explain everything you guys know in simple engleeesh - you know like - ride untill it hurts' date=' then slow down untill the little black spots disappear....
[/quote']

Thats pretty much what it boils down to LOL

Maybe SwissVan could join me for a power session at the velodrome one day. Just make sure that you've banked your miles in advance.Big%20smile

Progress would be when they can explain everything you guys know in simple engleeesh - you know like - ride untill it hurts' date=' then slow down untill the little black spots disappear....
[/quote']

LOL

But then we'd have to analyse the spots, i.e. exactly what size they were.  Then we could define training zones based on the size of the spots that you see Wink