Self defence on rides

jusbob

What you do to protect yourself is your own choice, and we all can give advice and say what we think, but for the.love off everything that is cycling STOP telling people that if you just hand over your stuff you will be fine, that is horse ****! A criminal is has NO respect for your life and wont think twice about killing you. I am not saying that you should always fight back, but stop telling people that the nice criminals will let you be if you give him your bike.

Not long ago three guys came into our garge with guns, one did not see my father inlaw and he kicked him to the ground, the other two kept waiving their guns underneath the door while we just kicked, my wife hit the panic button ond they sped off. I reccon if you catch them off guard you can win as they don't expect you to resist when they have guns. Any way not sugesting you should be a hero, that is just how we reacted and it worked.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not long ago three guys came into our garge with guns, one did not see my father inlaw and he kicked him to the ground, the other two kept waiving their guns underneath the door while we just kicked, my wife hit the panic button ond they sped off. I reccon if you catch them off guard you can win as they don't expect you to resist when they have guns. Any way not sugesting you should be a hero, that is just how we reacted and it worked.

I hope if ever I am in that situation I want a seasoned criminal, your chances are much greater when dealing with a seasoned criminal than a noob, much less chance of stoopid mistakes, my mate also a HUBBER was hit after pulling huge cash for a house repair, reckons the guys were pros never once thought the guys were not 100% in control they were cool calm and collected! calmly said to him that cash you justed pulled( the amount) that's why we here GIVE IT AND YOU DONT DIE,

SIMPLE TRANSACTION WHAM BHAM THANKS

not great for my mate, but at least he has made the money and is still alive to make more and see his kids grow up

Agreed DIPS and cyclists problem I guess is that most of the bicycle hijack thieves are low end, nervous, untrained and probably high on something. The career criminal is probably ex or current SAP/S, SANDF, metro police, Zim, Moz etc and has seen some sort of training. Problem is that a lot of these guys have killed before and are completely callous.

No simple or quick solutions.

I was once faced by two muggers one with a stick on the Woodstock cycle lane. I charged towards the closest mugger with my XL hard tail MTB, he freaked out a jumped clear of my path. I managed to get away that day. I dont know what the other mugger did it all happened really quickly. 

If they have guns. Give them the bike. Your bike is insured right?

Start riding with a group or on frequented cycling routes where it is easy to join a bunch. Thank them for the ride afterwards. 

You may love your bike but it is just a bike. Stay alive and ride on :)

Archived