2015 Tour de France

Frosty

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad we have a race this year. Last years situation with Froome and Contador out and not much competition for Nibali did not make for exciting racing.

I'm glad we have a race this year. Last years situation with Froome and Contador out and not much competition for Nibali did not make for exciting racing.

I'm glad yesterday is over.... not sure how I made it ;)

Ja it's one thing being able to ride with the best in a 1 day race but something entirely different trying to get into the right position and stick with the best in a Grand Tour, especially the TDF. The pace is just so high getting to the climbs.

I think if anything it will be a learning curve for the youngsters, would actually love to see Kudus have a go at some point.

I've read in memoirs from riders, in articles online and so on, that the old-school hierarchy is still very strong in the pro peloton. What that means is the big name riders command respect in the peloton, and so do their teams. If they want to come into a pace line, a gap will always open for them. If they want a bottle, they'll get one - often from a rival team even. 

But the small teams get bullied. They get zero respect, they get squeezed to the back of the bunch and get told to stay there. A gap will never open for a no-name rider in a pace line. You have to make a name for yourself in the peloton by paying your school fees, taking the knocks, and showing what you are worth. You have to be a scrapper, a fighter to stay up there, be prepared to get elbowed and nudged out of the way, until a day comes when you've 'earned' your place there.

I've heard that's what many of the MTN riders experience. There is absolutely zero chance to ride on the front where the big teams claim their place. Sky, Astana, Tinkoff, BMC, Quickstep and Movistar will always be on the front because they are the main ous in the peloton. The rest must ride behind.

So when you get bad days with crosswinds or crashes, the smaller teams always get caught up. The young bucks like Louis too.

The peloton will allow EBH to ride among the big boys in the front because he's one of them. He's earned his spot, so he's welcome. 

But if Louis has a brilliant run in the mountains, you'll start to seeing him showing up higher up the bunch more often. 

The Yates brothers have had the protection of a top respected team with some hardmen looking after them and shielding them during those hard flat stages. Louis didn't have that luxury, so had to take what he could get at the back.

Now it's his time to shine. Go boychee.

I've read in memoirs from riders, in articles online and so on, that the old-school hierarchy is still very strong in the pro peloton. What that means is the big name riders command respect in the peloton, and so do their teams. If they want to come into a pace line, a gap will always open for them. If they want a bottle, they'll get one - often from a rival team even.

But the small teams get bullied. They get zero respect, they get squeezed to the back of the bunch and get told to stay there. A gap will never open for a no-name rider in a pace line. You have to make a name for yourself in the peloton by paying your school fees, taking the knocks, and showing what you are worth. You have to be a scrapper, a fighter to stay up there, be prepared to get elbowed and nudged out of the way, until a day comes when you've 'earned' your place there.

I've heard that's what many of the MTN riders experience. There is absolutely zero chance to ride on the front where the big teams claim their place. Sky, Astana, Tinkoff, BMC, Quickstep and Movistar will always be on the front because they are the main ous in the peloton. The rest must ride behind.

So when you get bad days with crosswinds or crashes, the smaller teams always get caught up. The young bucks like Louis too.

The peloton will allow EBH to ride among the big boys in the front because he's one of them. He's earned his spot, so he's welcome.

But if Louis has a brilliant run in the mountains, you'll start to seeing him showing up higher up the bunch more often.

The Yates brothers have had the protection of a top respected team with some hardmen looking after them and shielding them during those hard flat stages. Louis didn't have that luxury, so had to take what he could get at the back.

Now it's his time to shine. Go boychee.

Interesting. . Suppose that's part of it hey.. maybe not nice but part of it.

The "respect is earned" mantra goes for everything in life, and I agree with it.

MTN is climbing the respect ladder quickly though.... Daniel's handshake after the break, the reaction after Louis dropped some big names on that climb... etc are all little signs of them starting to be accepted by the peloton.

This must be his week. Next week the Elephants will fight and the grass will get hurt. This week the only size that counts is the size of his heart (and nads).

Then in the hierarchy of the peloton, the one right at the top is Le Patron (The boss, the patron). He's the one who often speaks for the whole peloton, when they have complaints or issues or things that need addressing. It's always him that steps forward. In the last couple of years it has been Spartacus, although he seems to have been a very reluctant Patron, thrust into the limelight a little unwillingly.

[some have seen Cancellara to be a whinger, always complaining about things these days. But you have to understand the context. As patron of the peloton, it's his duty as holder of this highest level of respect by his fellow riders to carry out the duty of representing them].

In past years, the most legendary Patrons have been the likes of Bernard Hinault and Lance Armstrong. They are the guys who have even decided how the peloton would race on a certain day, commanding everyone to slow down and when they are allowed to attack. Pariah riders (e.g. LA vs Simeoni in 2004) have been ridden down and put back in their place by the boss, the commander in chief.

Here's a great article on The Badger, who besides Anquetil, Eddy and Armstrong was perhaps the most commanding patron in his day (and some amazing footage of his fall off a mountain road in the 1977 Dauphine).

Then in the hierarchy of the peloton, the one right at the top is Le Patron (The boss, the patron). He's the one who often speaks for the whole peloton, when they have complaints or issues or things that need addressing. It's always him that steps forward. In the last couple of years it has been Spartacus, although he seems to have been a very reluctant Patron, thrust into the limelight a little unwillingly.

[some have seen Cancellara to be a whinger, always complaining about things these days. But you have to understand the context. As patron of the peloton, it's his duty as holder of this highest level of respect by his fellow riders to carry out the duty of representing them].

In past years, the most legendary Patrons have been the likes of Bernard Hinault and Lance Armstrong. They are the guys who have even decided how the peloton would race on a certain day, commanding everyone to slow down and when they are allowed to attack. Pariah riders (e.g. LA vs Simeoni in 2004) have been ridden down and put back in their place by the boss, the commander in chief.

Here's a great article on The Badger, who besides Anquetil, Eddy and Armstrong was perhaps the most commanding patron in his day (and some amazing footage of his fall off a mountain road in the 1977 Dauphine).

Which reminded me of the Ultimate F-u to Armstrong. . The day contador attacked him when they both rode for astana.. aaah they tried to make Bert's TDF as difficult as possible, even leaving him at the hotel forcing him to find his own way to the start ot the ITT.

Fédrigo must have had some serious spanish steak last night, if he thinks he is going to do this alone. Bastille day or not...

#TDF2015 After 25.5km Fedrigo has 1'10" on Vanbilsen and 6'45" on peloton.

Nairo Quintana (Movistar) wears the white jersey like when he won the second last stage of the 2013 Tour de France at Annecy-Semnoz. He's second behind Peter Sagan and he has an advantage of 44 seconds over Warren Barguil, 2.39 over Romain Bardet and 6.06 over Thibaut Pinot who was the best young rider last year in Paris.

Nice. That makes it easier to spot him in the peleton. :whistling:

I am a bit disappointed in Meintjies.  I thought at least he would be lying around position 20 - 30 at this stage of the tour.  How could he have lost so much time on what seems to be almost flat stages?

I actually think its not a bad thing for Louis to be so far down on GC at the moment, because if he does manage to get into a break on one of the hilly stages, he wont be chased down by one of the teams defending a top 10 position. It might just improve the chance of a break succeeding if the participants is not a threat in any way to any one with top 10 aspirations. 

Fedrigo must smell victory today, but then with that hooter, there is probably not much he can't smell...

post-6252-0-41057400-1436873393_thumb.jpg

Archived