Specialized (Epic Comp Carbon vs Epic Comp Elite)

Guest TheEpicOne

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't hold back.

No no, I'm done. I've already given my perfect advise early in the thread. My work here is done.

IMO the biggest differences are:

Epic Elite = Wheel set (Roval Control 29 alloy wheelset), front fork (RockShox SID fork w/ Brain)

vs

Epic Comp = Wheel set (Roval 29 alloy disc rims), front fork (RockShox Reba RL).

IMO the biggest differences are:

Epic Elite = Wheel set (Roval Control 29 alloy wheelset), front fork (RockShox SID fork w/ Brain)

vs

Epic Comp = Wheel set (Roval 29 alloy disc rims), front fork (RockShox Reba RL).

What does the "Control" give you for the wheels?

What does the "Control" give you for the wheels?

Really looks like you are done.

Is this a rhetorical question or a serious question ?

OP

Get the bike that does not have a brain fork, your services will be much cheaper in the long run.

Really looks like you are done.

Is this a rhetorical question or a serious question ?

OP

Get the bike that does not have a brain fork, your services will be much cheaper in the long run.

Agreed, if you have some money to burn later, upgrade the wheels to carbon. More than that is def not needed.

XT hippie. 

Not really, it is just how the hierachy works .

Saying that, I have X/O on my one bike with an XT crank, I had an XX crank and after spending more money on BB's in one year than beer, I decided enough is enough.

I also know a lot of guys who prefer the Shimano brakes to the Sram brakes.

In the end of the day, the shifters and the derailleurs make the biggest impact.

Sram were clever with XX, design a gruppo not very different to XO and suddenly you have more people buying our XO gruppo because the next one up is out of reach for the common man.

Agreed, if you have some money to burn later, upgrade the wheels to carbon. More than that is def not needed.

Johnny I see tot many issues with carbon MTB wheels, their only benefit is really weight and there are many alloy wheel sets rivalling the weight of the lightweight carbons nowadays.

Not really, it is just how the hierachy works .

Saying that, I have X/O on my one bike with an XT crank, I had an XX crank and after spending more money on BB's in one year than beer, I decided enough is enough.

I also know a lot of guys who prefer the Shimano brakes to the Sram brakes.

In the end of the day, the shifters and the derailleurs make the biggest impact.

Sram were clever with XX, design a gruppo not very different to XO and suddenly you have more people buying our XO gruppo because the next one up is out of reach for the common man.

You are right with regards to xx, not worth it. I just think that X0 is slightly better than xt, also quite a lot more expensive. XT brakes are the bomb, but recently rode x0 trail brakes, and those are just as good. I love x0, so I am not biased.

Johnny I see tot many issues with carbon MTB wheels, their only benefit is really weight and there are many alloy wheel sets rivalling the weight of the lightweight carbons nowadays.

I have the Roval carbon wheels, not the SL version. I absolutely hammer them, and they remain true. I just love them. They came std with my Spez Epic, my girlfriend has the Comp Epic, with the Alloy wheels. And when I ride her bike, that is the first thing I notice. Cheap wheels.

You are right with regards to xx, not worth it. I just think that X0 is slightly better than xt, also quite a lot more expensive. XT brakes are the bomb, but recently rode x0 trail brakes, and those are just as good. I love x0, so I am not biased.

X/O is much more expensive and not really justifiably so.

The mechanisms in the XT shifters are unrivalled ,their derailleurs are simply bomb proof.

Shimano actually make mind blowing cranks, to the extent where they couldn't even bother dabbling with carbon in order to keep up with the competition.

Sram runs the 1:1 ratio and that is why it works better in mud, when the cables get dirty and stick you need less cable slack to move the rear mech.

I have the Roval carbon wheels, not the SL version. I absolutely hammer them, and they remain true. I just love them. They came std with my Spez Epic, my girlfriend has the Comp Epic, with the Alloy wheels. And when I ride her bike, that is the first thing I notice. Cheap wheels.

Those wheels on the Epic comp are a real budget wheel and weigh a tonne .

Archived