[Event] 2015 Ashburton Investments NATIONAL MTB SERIES #3 Clarens

WesselvdWalt

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im out 07:35 - its gonna be nippers! 

Sure it will heat up a bit later on!

Still wondering if I should join you tough guys on the  Ultra

Where do we register? What is the address?

17/04 16:00 - 19:00 Protea Hotel Clarens, Clarens, Freestate

18/04 06:00 - 08:30 Protea Hotel Clarens, Clarens, Freestate

19/04 06:30 - 09:00 Protea Hotel Clarens, Clarens, Freestate

Does anyone know total ascent for marathon? The booklet on the Advendurance website only has the ultra details.

If its raining we are not going to have it easy..found this on Wikipedia about Slickrock:

The so-called "slickrock" sandstone, which forms the majority of the trail's surface, is not slick at all, but has a surface much like sandpaper. The rubber tires of a mountain bike will grip readily to its surface on all but the steepest hills. The sandpaper texture is notorious for inflicting severe abrasion injuries. The name "slickrock" was given by early settlers of the area because their horses' metal shoes had difficulty gaining traction on the rock's sloping surfaces. The same is true today for cyclists who use shoes with metal cleats while riding the Slickrock Trail. Slickrock also becomes very slick when wet.

Does anyone know total ascent for marathon? The booklet on the Advendurance website only has the ultra details.

If its raining we are not going to have it easy..found this on Wikipedia about Slickrock:

The so-called "slickrock" sandstone, which forms the majority of the trail's surface, is not slick at all, but has a surface much like sandpaper. The rubber tires of a mountain bike will grip readily to its surface on all but the steepest hills. The sandpaper texture is notorious for inflicting severe abrasion injuries. The name "slickrock" was given by early settlers of the area because their horses' metal shoes had difficulty gaining traction on the rock's sloping surfaces. The same is true today for cyclists who use shoes with metal cleats while riding the Slickrock Trail. Slickrock also becomes very slick when wet.

Looking better, only a little bit of rain after 14H00

post-11586-0-78918300-1429173245_thumb.jpg

Cleats...

Here's all the details online:

http://www.nationalmtbseries.com/theseries/theroutes/marathon

We've had the event in rain a couple years ago, its manageable in the wet in slickrock.

If it's torrential downpour like then then ALL the ground in the area becomes CLAY and becomes a nightmare to ride anywhere, and the slickrock is a welcome relief.

Thanks - route profile looks easier than Sabie (where I'm pretty sure I didnt get over 2000m ascent for the marathon anyway?).

Glad for the heads up about the clay...Im not riding if its too wet. I did Gravel Travel in Paarl mountains in the rain last year and that clay just stuck to everything, I had a R3 000 repair bill. Like a previous poster said...see you at the Clarens Brewery in that case. 

Not too fussed if it is a bit wet and muddy.

My biggest concern is the cold in the morning. Standing in the chute and freezing your nuts off - also the first few km's until your diesel engine is at optimal running temperature. 

Not too fussed if it is a bit wet and muddy.

My biggest concern is the cold in the morning. Standing in the chute and freezing your nuts off - also the first few km's until your diesel engine is at optimal running temperature. 

youngsters dont have diesel engines...only old bullets have those

Thanks - route profile looks easier than Sabie (where I'm pretty sure I didnt get over 2000m ascent for the marathon anyway?).

Glad for the heads up about the clay...Im not riding if its too wet. I did Gravel Travel in Paarl mountains in the rain last year and that clay just stuck to everything, I had a R3 000 repair bill. Like a previous poster said...see you at the Clarens Brewery in that case. 

If there is any moisture it will be very light and late in the day, nothing to worry about.

It hasn't rained at all in over a week, and it's perfect conditions :)

...and if you are cold.. just ride harder! :)

Archived