Will this conversion work? Another 1x10 question....

Raydek

oopps...36 now .. damn typo!

I dropped the chain on the DH track in Tokai a few times before switching to clutch mech.

After clutch mech...nothing, not even chain slap. 

Have ridden Hoogekraal, Tokai (ST and DH track) and Jonkershoek (although not the BD run) and no chain drop yet.

So all-in-all very impressed with it hey.

I have run a NW ring with and without a clutch derailleur, and can't say that I can really feel the difference. Through the really rough stuff I can still hear the chain bouncing around, but I guess this is normal. Haven't dropped a chain yet though, so maybe it does make a difference...

he has a 3x crankset, so should be able to fit the NW chainring in the place of the existing middle chainring, so should not need to mess with the BB spacers.

Don't shoot me for stating the obvious but make sure you install the said chainring on the INSIDE of the crank exactly where the middle chainring sits. I have seen guys install on the outside creating horrendous chain lines and even pulling chains apart :o

Don't shoot me for stating the obvious but make sure you install the said chainring on the INSIDE of the crank exactly where the middle chainring sits. I have seen guys install on the outside creating horrendous chain lines and even pulling chains apart :o

Thanks, will take all the advice/tips that I can get.

Give us a shout or drop us an email if there s any help that you might need regarding this, we will assist with everything from Chain length to spacing.

Thank so much for the support so far, we will continue to keep you all informed of new products and whats happening in the world of 1x...

info@kitted.co.za

Give us a shout or drop us an email if there s any help that you might need regarding this, we will assist with everything from Chain length to spacing.

Thank so much for the support so far, we will continue to keep you all informed of new products and whats happening in the world of 1x...

info@kitted.co.za

Thanks, was actually in contact already and had awesome quick service and help, literally minutes after I emailed.

My last deciding factor is my dodgy knee.  I am currently doing all my rides in the nearest gear/ratio to what this setup would be when it comes to climbing (granny). Just want to make sure that my knee will handle the extra stress without konking out before I do the conversion.

info@kitted.co.za

Kitted: When will you develop a 40t cassette extender - 42t is a bit too wide for some mechs...

Also will you offer the replacement 16t as well?

If you are going 40 or 42 extender get the one up components RAD cage.

http://int.oneupcomponents.com/collections/all-products/products/rad-cage

This an brilliant piece of kit to move your top jockey wheel away from the cluster when in the mega granny gear. If you dont use this you will need to unscrew your B screw which may solve the mega granny shifting issue but the rest of your shifting will be sluggish and inaccurate. It also improves the chain wrap around the cluster and top jockey wheel.

Also replacing the 15 and 17 teeth in cluster with a 16 only really works well on an XT cassette because SLX or lower ranges the cassette is riveted together and to get the 15 and 17 out you need to cut the spacer between the 15 and 17 to be able to remove them, this means that when you reassemble them they are all "loose" on your freebody and you may damage the freebody as sometimes happens in single speed conversions.

So in summary for the PERFECT 1x10 conversion (mixing used and new parts can, but not always, lead to problems):

New XT cassette

New chain

Kitted Narrow wide front chainring

16t

40 or 42 extender - Kitted or One Up Components

One Up Components Rad Cage

we are all talking about what to do and how to do it so go to this thread and post your 1X10 conversion photos...realy think we could get something very cool started!!

ww.thehubsa.co.za/forum/topic/145064-post-your-1x10-conversions/

Archived