Fun DH day at Giba Gorge

David D

Hi.

We are organizing a fun beginners downhill MTB day at Giba Gorge on 30 November 2014.

The idea is to give riders who are interested in trying Down Hill Mountain Biking a chance to see what it is like and have some guidance in how to get down a down hill track.

There will be a nominal charge (approximately R100). Medics and uplift shuttles will be provided for the day.

The program will be roughly as follows:

09h00 register and briefing

09h30 first shuttles head up the hill

10h00 split into groups and take a slow ride/walk and have a look at the track, talking through each obstacle and line options.

11h00 to 14h00 lots of shuttles and general fun.

15h00 simulated race run.

This is preliminary and is subject to change.

You don’t need any specific bike, any MTB will do. You will not need to do any jumps or drop offs, unless you want to. There will be easy options around all intimidating obstacles.

So if you would like to give it a go or just come and see what it is about, or if you just like the idea of having constant lifts to the top of the hill all day, come along and have a look.

Please spread the word, and let me know if you are planning on coming, just so we have an idea of how many people to expect.

We are also looking for volunteers to help with timing, driving uplifts, and loaning of bakkies (we will pay for fuel) so if you can help out in any way please let me know.

See you on the hill

Dave, I'll be there barring any unforeseen events. Will be a good way to test my confidence and what skills I have left after taking a year off after my surgery.

I've let a few mates know as well.

Will you be using the old track or the newer one on the other side of the hill?

Can we have a 'test run' of this on the 22nd ? :)

Planning to come up that weekend for the trail blazer and wanting to ride Giba on the Saturday...

We have not decided which track to run yet, but I am leaning towards the "old track"

Your are most welcome to ride it on 22 November.

I'll post it onto FB tonight.

14 year olds are welcome as long as they don't ride faster than me!!!! or if they shout "Track please sir" as they ride past!!

I would be happy with the old track. It has a bit of everything. Rock drop at the top, rocks in the middle, jumps in the quarry, switchbacks further down and the drop off the bank at the bottom to the finish scared me a bit my first time....

Going to be a fun day  :thumbup:

Just an observation in case there is some confusion, the R100 covers the instruction and the shuttles but there is still the park entry that needs to be paid...?

Danger Dave....

i will be in attendance 

happy to help out where needed.....

provided i get to do a few runs and score some sneaky tips from you Nige and the bearded super Mil.

also have a bakkie with tailgate protector which we can use for the day provided Ken Block isnt doing the driving.

I would be happy with the old track. It has a bit of everything. Rock drop at the top, rocks in the middle, jumps in the quarry, switchbacks further down and the drop off the bank at the bottom to the finish scared me a bit my first time....

Going to be a fun day  :thumbup:

We will see.

Keep in mind the whole point of this day is to avoid the scary, intimidating, dangerous "stunts" and ride a beginner friendly track, but we can do that on either track.

We will keep those more technical sections open for the more confident riders but the emphasis of the day is just getting a feel for the DH vibe without feeling embarrassed that you are too scared to clear a 20m wide gap jump over a flaming pit of spikes.

Full Face helmet and body armour required? Because I dont have either :(

Full face helmet, long sleeve shirt and knee guards are recommended but not essential. You may ride without them. 

As per Giba rules, a helmet of some sort is compulsory.

Sounds good, I'm liking the idea of shuttles all day... Lemme know if you need me to help Dave

Can test out the new bike 

post-41965-0-71023100-1415775260_thumb.jpg

Same goes for me Dave. If you need any help on the day, give us a shout. More than happy to drive a shuttle or two, help out on track or whatever.

Archived