[Event] Carnival City Macsteel National Classic

Frosty

just want to say imho this is actually the most organized race i have raced in jhb. truly appreciate the efforts which was evident through out the race.

thanks to the organizers, the marshals and everyone involved.

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry to hear about your fall, why was it your last Macsteel Race?

Maybe just because I'm all bruised up with stiches in my arm but I was hoping this race could be good preparation for the Argus. I just feel that it might not be worth risking a fall so close before a big race like the Argus. Maybe I will be back next year. I've got mixed feelings for now :)

I do think seeding was the biggest problem like Gerald also mentioned. Lots of guys not keeping their line. Even had a few arrogant guys screaming from behind at some of the riders. I think that made the DL bunch a nervous group to be riding in and even contributed to the crash.

Sorry to hear about your fall, why was it your last Macsteel Race?

Yip, when we turned left towards Suikerbosrand (+-30km mark), I looked back and the bulk of the bunch was gone.

That following 10km we picked up a lot of CL riders but most of them dropped off again because of the pace upfront :clap:

Let's put some data on the table for the seeding done for this race.

Index = (( Your Time / Winner's Time ) - 1 ) * 100

Once each event was seeded, we average the best 3, or 1-2 if less than 3.

The indicies are then ranked 1-xxx (where xxx is the max number of entries in the 103Km event (OPEN seeded).

The following events (CCMNC events in the table below) were given priority in the seeding:

2014 Carnival City Macsteel National Classic

2014 Momentum 947 Cycle Challenge

2014 Serengeti Classic

2014 Dome2Dome Cycle Race

2014 Tsogo Sun Amashova Durban Classic

2014 Rand Water Race for Victory

2014 Value Logistics FastOne

The above events returned a ranking value after the best 3 events were used.

Then, if there was a problem with someone's seeding (or ranking value), we used the following events:

2014 Satellite Classic (longest distance only)

2014 Emperors Classic

2014 Wilro 

2014 Argus

2014 Ride for Sight

2014 Berge and Dale

Then there was an average for all events including the above (called BIG events in the table below)

If still a problem, this was compared to the individuals PPA seeding, which lists about 48 events for 2014.

At the end of the day, we were looking for consistency across all possible scenarios, to ensure the best 180 were seeded in AL, 181-360 were placed in BL, 361 - 540 were placed in CL and 541 - 720 were placed in DL, and the trend continued up to IL.

Some individuals were manually adjusted, as the entry process limited people to certain groups, i.e. anyone 30 or older was unable to enter the 165Km event and were defaulted to the other distances.

The number of reseeding requests was down compared to previous years - so we attribute this to a more accurate seeding process.

Late entries were placed in IL, JL and KL, unless they had valid proof of results.
If proof of results was provided, they were then placed in a group where the ranking value was between the min and max of each group.

Some reseeding was done, but it was limited quantities, and we used the 2015 results if 2014 results were missing.

Below is a summary of the seeding (min, max and ave per group)

post-1372-0-51917700-1424716894_thumb.png

Not sure MAX is relevant here, but anyway.

Seeding will never be an exact science.  Events older than 6 months really have little or no indication of strength, fitness or ability.

Look at how you feel after taking a break over Christmas.  I was of the bike for three weeks, and took me at least the next three weeks to get back to where I was before.

The local smaller races will always have a relatively large range of seeding index in the group.  I also think AL must be the worst, as I am sure there are guys in there with an index under 10, up to guys over 20.

At the end of the day, if the group is riding too slow, or erratic, move up to the front.  That way you will be in a better position to influence the group dynamic.

I am unfortunately not quite strong enough to get to the front of AL, and stay there yet, but 4 months of base training after Argus will hopefully help out with the strength and endurance to make it happen later in the year.

How come the 65km did not have a medal ceremony or prize money? You guys did last year, why not this year?

There were prizes:

• U14/16 girls and boys
  • U14 boys
  • 65Km Open
  • 65Km MTB specific group

I was the unlucky person nominated to hand out the prizes, because our Race Director was called out to sort out a problem with the EMPD and the opening of the R23 north to traffic.

We're not obliged to pay any prizes for non-licensed categories, but we do anyway.

As Gerald said there was. In fact the prize money was DECENT. My toppie was 3rd overall in the 65km and the money was good. Iv had 1st and 2nd at other big races and got less. I have a nice photo of Gerald and my Dad.

As Gerald said there was. In fact the prize money was DECENT. My toppie was 3rd overall in the 65km and the money was good. Iv had 1st and 2nd at other big races and got less. I have a nice photo of Gerald and my Dad.

Give your dad his fame, Post it

Groups were smaller, because final entries were down by 15% (compared to 2014) - mainly in the 103Km event (the rest were on par compared to previous years).

The only organisation that can fix this is Cycling South Africa, or CGC (for us Vaalies) - and it needs to be raised by the masses (the fun riders) as a concern. We can't have all events in one basket, otherwise the monopoly will control the prices of events. 

For me, the race times belong the cyclists, they've paid for the service through their entry fee and it should be available to be used by any organiser to use for seeding purposes. There needs to be one seeding calculation that is used by all, and needs to be realistic in relation to the route, weather conditions and so much more.

Agreed but for the most part we who don't have any dealings with race organising don't know where to start. So i am sure if you start the process many many of us will start wheel sucking your lead, as you would know who, how where or when to proceed in getting this done.

The local smaller races will always have a relatively large range of seeding index in the group.  I also think AL must be the worst, as I am sure there are guys in there with an index under 10, up to guys over 20.

Not far off - the 180th person in AL had 22.20 (across all races)

Gerald, I presume this years race results will be included on the PedalPower seeding index?
How does that work by the way, do you guys hand over the results and PPA assign BETA values and such in order to formulate the seeding?

Hi guys, it was my first time riding the Carnival City Macsteel and I must compliment the organization of the race. The marshals, parking and route markings were superb.

The only issue I had was the one bumpy section of road but other than that it was great overall. The guy that hit the cone was not too far behind me, hope that there were no serious injuries.

I started in DL and managed to finish in 2:58 (quite chuffed with myself :D). My first sub 3 ever....LOL.

One request I do have is if the wind can be toned down a notch or two next year, that would be great, thanks :P.

Hi guys, it was my first time riding the Carnival City Macsteel and I must compliment the organization of the race. The marshals, parking and route markings were superb.

The only issue I had was the one bumpy section of road but other than that it was great overall. The guy that hit the cone was not too far behind me, hope that there were no serious injuries.

I started in DL and managed to finish in 2:58 (quite chuffed with myself :D). My first sub 3 ever....LOL.

One request I do have is if the wind can be toned down a notch or two next year, that would be great, thanks :P.

You must have been close to Carpet and myself .

You must have been close to Carpet and myself .

I was the guy in the black cycle nation kit on the white Cannondale.

If anybody in VA's ever see a guy riding there with white Sasol kit... get away from him!! This is the second time that I see this guy riding like a tjop.

First time was at The Fast One race where he almost took out one of my team members and i went a spoke to hime to rather ride on the side or the back of the bunch if he doesn't have any bunch riding skills, so he moved.

This time at this great event, which i was soooo looking forward to, he was there again, and again bobbing and weaving all over the place! He dashed in right in front of me at one point and connected my front wheel.... and down we went taking a few guys with us.

I wanted to smack this oke so hard....

Body is healing but my bike is screwed!

Just look out for this guy in races to come. No skills to be riding in the racing groups

Gerald, the event was supurb... and hopefully next year i can at least finish  :thumbup:

I was the guy in the black cycle nation kit on the white Cannondale.

Ah, now I recall.

Nice bike  :thumbup:

I was on the old steel bike .

Ah, now I recall.

Nice bike  :thumbup:

I was on the old steel bike .

Has anyone ever suggested HubSa armbands with your hub name on them? Will make it easy to ID fellow hubbers and know which wheels to follow :)

If anybody in VA's ever see a guy riding there with white Sasol kit... get away from him!! This is the second time that I see this guy riding like a tjop.

First time was at The Fast One race where he almost took out one of my team members and i went a spoke to hime to rather ride on the side or the back of the bunch if he doesn't have any bunch riding skills, so he moved.

This time at this great event, which i was soooo looking forward to, he was there again, and again bobbing and weaving all over the place! He dashed in right in front of me at one point and connected my front wheel.... and down we went taking a few guys with us.

I wanted to smack this oke so hard....

Body is healing but my bike is screwed!

Just look out for this guy in races to come. No skills to be riding in the racing groups

Gerald, the event was supurb... and hopefully next year i can at least finish  :thumbup:

Sorry to hear boet

I heard there was a massive crash in the group.

Can anybody identify this guy?

The cannondale completely thrashed?

And urself badly hurt?

Heal quickly bud

Archived