Cape Town mtb / road rides

lefthecountry

I start in Kommetjie, could meet you ontop of Chapman's Peak or in Hout Bay/Suikerbossie and then ride around Cape Point from there?

Just checked the route, and I noticed there are quite some long parts where I will have to go through unhabited areas. The route must be beautiful riding next to the ocean on a road in the hillside, but my main question/concern is: is it safe to ride there alone? Read about quite some stories where cyclists got mugged on places like that on the route between Cape Town and Cape Point. 

Or is there maybe some public transport between those places that would allow me to bring my bike?

The route is absolutely amazing.

As to safe, I think it can only be as safe as you make of it. The stories are not so much stories, as most are all actual incidents that have happened and the crime is real. But so is the beauty and challenge of the routes which is why we keep on riding on - this is why a lot of us ride in groups, or we ride solo with an extra keen eye on ones surroundings.

As to there being public transport, I am not sure. There is the MyCiti bus system which seems quite good but I don't know how far they go or if they allow bikes on board?

If all else fails a plan will be made :thumbup:

Just checked the route, and I noticed there are quite some long parts where I will have to go through unhabited areas. The route must be beautiful riding next to the ocean on a road in the hillside, but my main question/concern is: is it safe to ride there alone? Read about quite some stories where cyclists got mugged on places like that on the route between Cape Town and Cape Point. 

Or is there maybe some public transport between those places that would allow me to bring my bike?

Cheers for the info! 

Today Oneman and I met up for a ride in Table Mountain, and I had some terrible luck. Somehow the cage of my derailleur got stuck between my spokes, and it broke my derailleur in half (old school frame with a non-replaceble derailleurhanger..

Tomorrow I'm off to visit some bikeshops to find out who can sell me a 9 speed Shimano rear derailleur..

If no one has it on stock I won't be able to join Saturday, so I'll keep you updated.

Just been to some shops today to find the parts I needed. Action Cycling was my first stop, and as expected great service and they hooked me up with a nice new derailleur for a very friendly price.

I also ordered a rim at them, since I really bent mine doing some tricks when riding home.

The rim should be there by Tuesday, so I should be able to ride later that day.

Big thanks to Action Cycling for their great service again! :)

Edited by Mattin

Hey guys!

Anyone down for a ride this weekend? :)

I was thinking maybe Table Mountain or a ride towards Cape Point, but I'm also open for any other ideas

Hey guys!

Anyone down for a ride this weekend? :)

I was thinking maybe Table Mountain or a ride towards Cape Point, but I'm also open for any other ideas

I'm going for a 130km road ride on Sunday with my dad ( he will only do the Cape Point loop) and a friend. If you're keen to join you're more than welcome to. Otherwise happy riding!

Cheers for the invite Yusran.

Just saw that it will be 30 degrees tomorrow, so I think I'll pass the 130km ride this time. That will be too much for me in this weather.. I'm not used to temperatures like this at all...

Have fun though! :)

Hey! You're welcome to come test our group out. We are part if the table mountain bikers, and we do a coffee ride on Tuesday mornings. Start 6:30 corner of Iris and Kloof street in Tamboerskloof. We're not slow, but we're not racing snakes either.

Anyone else also welcome to join ????

Alexis

Hey! You're welcome to come test our group out. We are part if the table mountain bikers, and we do a coffee ride on Tuesday mornings. Start 6:30 corner of Iris and Kloof street in Tamboerskloof. We're not slow, but we're not racing snakes either.

Anyone else also welcome to join

Alexis

Thanks for the invite Alexis. I would love to join your group tomorrow! Where is this Iris you are talking about? Googled it but couldn't find any street / place called Iris neat the Kloof Street.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone down to do some riding tomorrow afternoon / early evening?

I found a sick and very technical descend from the top of Signal Hill all the way into Bo Kaap. And it is actually a legal / not illegal trail, which is pretty challenging.

Thanks for the invite Alexis. I would love to join your group tomorrow! Where is this Iris you are talking about? Googled it but couldn't find any street / place called Iris neat the Kloof Street.

Alexis meant Ivy Street

Alexis meant Ivy Street

Cheers! I will probably be out of town for the next 2 weeks, but I'd love to join you guys when I get back.