Cape Town mtb / road rides

lefthecountry

Hey guys!

Just arrived to Cape Town for work and I will be staying here for the next 3 months.

I've been a fanatic cyclist for over 10 years now. First mainly did freestyle, but now my focus is on fixed gear racing (alley cats / crits) and also some mountainbiking whenever I have the chance to.

Since I'm from the flat country of The Netherlands, living in Amsterdam, riding a track bike is the perfect weapon of choice over there.

But I really love mountainbiking and coming to Cape Town I saw a great opportunity to ride some trails in the area.

The bike I chose to bring is my retro 1991 Kona Cinder Cone: http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/10789208/

Since it's not flashy and doesn't look expensive I can use it for commuting in the city, but since I mounted some knobby 2.25" tyres, a front brake, and my 1x9 XTR drivetrain from my enduro bike, it's now ready to hit some trails :)

I'm hoping to find some locals who are up for some rides around Signal Hill / Table Mountain, or maybe go touring towards Cape Point in the weekend?

I'm also open for other ideas off course :)

Let me know if you're up for a ride and/or a beer, and hope to see you soon!

Cheers,

Martin

Hi Martin and welcome to SA and The Hub.

You have come to the right place to find ridding buddies and the trails in Cape Town are some of the best around!

I usually frequent the Tygerberg trails in the northern suburbs and would be more than happy to ride along if you are ever in this area.

Welcome Mattin, now first things first, leave jou 'Hemp' at home, cos here we ride wif tight shirts.

Tygerberg trails is where 95% of the hip is happening

Guest DieBees

The name is MATTIN. Sorry Martin. The south africans are ignorant. ???? :-).

Enjoy your stay.

The name is MATTIN. Sorry Martin. The south africans are ignorant. [emoji15] :-).

Enjoy your stay.

He signed his post off as Martin.......

Guest DieBees

He signed his post off as Martin.......

O kwit... Its a joke...

Hey Martin,

My friend and I ride around Cape Point almost every weekend so if you want to go for a ride and then for a drink (no alcohol for me, but there exists amazing espresso milkshakes) at the Yacht Club after or in the middle just let me know.

Alternatively I wouldn't say no to climbing Tokai :thumbup:

Hope you enjoy your stay.

Cheers for the warm welcome guys!

@Raydek: Tygerberg sounds like a good plan for one of the weekends. We'll keep in touch about that!

@BrandonF: I always used to think that when people think of The Netherlands, they think about tulips, windmills, and blonde girls in wooden shoes. I have never been so wrong in my life :D This might be hard to believe for many, but I really don't smoke weed, never even tried it.

@Yusran: Sounds good! Do you guys start in or near Cape Town? And around how much is your average speed? I'm asking to see if I think I could keep up with you guys on my mtb :)

Coffee and beer is pretty much the same in my opinion :)  For me coffee is for during the day, beer for in the evening.

Would you do Tokai by road bike or mtb?

Sweet bike Mattin!

Table Mountain is my backyard ride - would be happy to go out for a few rides with you, although I suspect once you know the routes, I'll struggle to keep up.

Keen to do a good ride Thursday / Friday - Blockhouse + Rhodes Memorial, around 30 km. PM me if you're interested. Other takers also welcome!

@Raydek: Tygerberg sounds like a good plan for one of the weekends. We'll keep in touch about that!

@BrandonF: I always used to think that when people think of The Netherlands, they think about tulips, windmills, and blonde girls in wooden shoes. I have never been so wrong in my life :D This might be hard to believe for many, but I really don't smoke weed, never even tried it.

@Yusran: Sounds good! Do you guys start in or near Cape Town? And around how much is your average speed? I'm asking to see if I think I could keep up with you guys on my mtb :)

Coffee and beer is pretty much the same in my opinion :) For me coffee is for during the day, beer for in the evening.

Who reffered to weed, I was talking shirts brother lol! Jokes aside, hope you ride some awesome trails man!

Hey Martin,

I live on the Cape Point route so I start from home, far from the CBD.

Average speed can be whatever you want it to be, it could be anything you like from 19km/h to 31km/h. It's not about keeping up, it's about having fun on the ride so see how you feel on the day and we ride to suit. Preffering the nice and relaxed rides nowadays though.

Tokai is always MTB - gotta get dirty and have a blast while enjoying that amazing mountain!

Riding around Cape Point this Saturday if you're in the area and keen for a cruise. All others welcome too - if you're not already on the route as usual ;) .

Coffee and beer is pretty much the same in my opinion :)  For me coffee is for during the day, beer for in the evening.

Sounds good Yusran :)   Where do you guys start? I'm staying in Gardens, so I can quickly cut down over the hills to Camps Bay and further 

Hey Martin,

I live on the Cape Point route so I start from home, far from the CBD.

Average speed can be whatever you want it to be, it could be anything you like from 19km/h to 31km/h. It's not about keeping up, it's about having fun on the ride so see how you feel on the day and we ride to suit. Preffering the nice and relaxed rides nowadays though.

Tokai is always MTB - gotta get dirty and have a blast while enjoying that amazing mountain!

Riding around Cape Point this Saturday if you're in the area and keen for a cruise. All others welcome too - if you're not already on the route as usual ;) .

Archived