Long distance touring bike

_freak_

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is my basic touring setup. 1x10 32-42 Chinese carbon frame, Arch wheels. Cannondale save seatpost, XT brakes. (it also happens to be my training bike.)post-3842-0-42079900-1446806076_thumb.jpg

I will be doing the Rhodes to Cradock portion of the Freedom Trail in March with this set up.

Hi guys,

I'm busy planning a touring bike for longish (500km) touring trip in December to get a feel for touring.

Using a Niner EMD alu frame, Niner carbon fork, currently running 3x9 and drop bars.

What are the pros and cons of panniers with saddlebags (front & rear) vs. some of the fancy seat and handlebar bags by Revelate (or similar)?

Would appreciate some input before spending what appears to be $$$.

thanks for any tips / advice

Hi guys,

I'm busy planning a touring bike for longish (500km) touring trip in December to get a feel for touring.

Using a Niner EMD alu frame, Niner carbon fork, currently running 3x9 and drop bars.

What are the pros and cons of panniers with saddlebags (front & rear) vs. some of the fancy seat and handlebar bags by Revelate (or similar)?

You're going down the rabbit-hole, man!

Welcome - I got there a while back. :clap:

My 2c....

Racks and panniers:

• great for road only or light off road
  • great for long tours
  • great for capacity
  • cost can be $$$$
  • wheels need to be STRONG

Bike bags:

• great balanced feel to bike
  • off road awesome
  • forces you to pack sensibly
  • cheaper in the long run than racks and panniers
  • sew your own
  • WHEELS NEED TO BE STRONG

Trailer:

• easy on the wheels - no beasts need to be made (40 or 48hole)
  • extrawheel awesome - better for off road - still need panniers
  • BOB awesome - better for road, unless you get a Ibex and $$$

I was in the pannier/rack camp until recently - changed to bags s my aim. Reinforced by a recent trip with home made frame bags. I had only a small bit of luggage, yet I still packed too much. The minimalist nature of it appeals to me.

When I have my full rig done, I will be multi month self-sufficient.

Enjoy the road, man!!!

So bag choice is mostly a question of how much you want to carry vs how light you you like to go.

I've ridden with a handlebar box:

post-41865-0-41852300-1446824038_thumb.jpg

This was on a 600km audax, unsupported, but we were allowed a drop bag for the midpoint, so allowing to carry less. I carried lots of food, rain jacket, and some other small essentials e.g. sun cream, toilet paper

Pros:

• easy to access things while riding
Cons:
  • Heavy 1226g
  • Cant use it with areo bars
  • Affects the feel of the steering of the bike (not so much of an issue on the road, but would not like to ride that on a sandy gravel road.

For TransAfrica, I used frame bag + saddle bag + triathlon bag

post-41865-0-83528000-1446824135_thumb.jpg

Needed to carry quite a bit more:

Clothing: leg warmers, arm warmers, winter gloves, 2nd bib, sleeping shorts + t shirt, 2nd pair of socks, rain jacket

Toiletries: toothpaste, toothbrush, chamois cream, suncream, mosquito repent, face cloth, deodorant, toilet paper

Mechanical stuff: Multitool, pump, 3x tubes, 2x CO2 canisters + valve, spare front and rear lights, chargers for cellphone, gps lights,

Food: rehydrate powered, Gu's (together approximately 1kg)

and...

an invalid passport :cursing:

I was really amazed on how I could fit this all in, with space to spare.

Pros:

• Light weight. The frame bag weighs 172g, the sadel bag weighs 317g
Cons:
  • Space for frame bag is limited by the frame. Works well for me on my large road bike, but if you have a small frame, or you have a sloping top tube (common on MTB) then they don't fit so well.

I've never ridden with panniers.

I would be weary carrying too much weight. Try go out for a ride with an extra 5kg attached to your bike, you will feel it on the first hill you get to. Then try go out with 15kg. You will hate it. I know I'm coming from racing experience, not leisure touring, but I still stand by what I'm say, you need to keep the weight down.

Edit: corrected weights

Hi all
Im looking at maybe building a long distance touring type if bike, I never tried fitting  700c road bike wheels to a MTB frame, Anybody ever did this?
Would the frame need to be 26, 27.5 or 29’r to fit those wheels? And then of course these will be built on MTB disk hubs…
Your input?

So 1 thing not mentioned yet on this topic is you just need to watch out for differences in hub width. Most QR MTB have a hub width of 135mm, and most road bikes 130 mm. With through axel, some MTB have wider hubs.

Note the a rear wheel with a wider hub is stronger to a wheel with a narrower hub (with all other things equal) due to the fact that it is less dished.

Further reading: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html

So bag choice is mostly a question of how much you want to carry vs how light you you like to go.

attachicon.gif2014-03-21-08.54.28-Large.jpg

This was on a 600km audax, unsupported, but we were allowed a drop bag for the midpoint, so allowing to carry less. I carried lots of food, rain jacket, and some other small essentials e.g. sun cream, toilet paper

Pros:

Cons:

• Heavy (I'll weigh it when I get home)
  • Affects the feel of the steering of the bike (not so much of an issue on the road, but would not like to ride that on a sandy gravel road.

attachicon.gif12079144_925304934172668_316036202573361088_n.jpg

Clothing: leg warmers, arm warmers, winter gloves, 2nd bib, sleeping shorts + t shirt, 2nd pair of socks, rain jacket

Toiletries: toothpaste, toothbrush, chamois cream, suncream, mosquito repent, face cloth, deodorant, toilet paper

Mechanical stuff: Multitool, pump, 3x tubes, 2x COcanisters + valve, spare front and rear lights, chargers for cellphone, gps lights,

and...

Pros:

• Light weight. The frame bag weighs 90g, the sadel bag weighs 220g

Cons:

• Space for frame bag is limited by the frame. Works well for me on my large road bike, but if you have a small frame, or you have a sloping top tube (common on MTB) then they don't fit so well.

I would be weary carrying too much weight. Try go out for a ride with an extra 5kg attached to your bike, you will feel it on the first hill you get to. Then try go out with 15kg. You will hate it. I know I'm coming from racing experience, not leisure touring, but I still stand by what I'm say, you need to keep the weight down.

Mmmm...Apidura.

Very nice stuff!

2014-03-21-08.54.28-Large.jpg

Pros:

Cons:
  • Heavy (I'll weigh it when I get home)

12079144_925304934172668_316036202573361088_n.jpg

Mechanical stuff: Multitool, pump, 3x tubes, 2x CO2 canisters + valve, spare front and rear lights, chargers for cellphone, gps lights,

and...

Pros:

• Light weight. The frame bag weighs 90g, the sadel bag weighs 220g
Cons:

I was going to ask of any of your new bags had a pocket for a valid passport... ;)

getting excited!!

ASCENT

USD: $1,199.95

Whether a daily commute or a trans-continental expedition, the Ascent is built for adventure. Capable of fitting 650b mountain tires, 700c road tires or anything in between, there is little this bike cannot do. Available in four sizes, the Ascent is perfectly paired with the Zeta II disc and a set of EvoMax bars for the most versatile, capable Ritchey ever.

• Designed as a do-it-all adventure bike with a full complement of mounts
  • Ritchey forged and machined 1 1/8" integrated head tube
  • Ritchey design CrMo fork with lowrider, rack and fender mounts
  • Available in Break-Away version
  • Fits tires up to 650x2.1" (mountain) or 700x 40c (cross)
  • Headset included

http://ritcheylogic.com/media/catalog/product/cache/6/image/640x480/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/a/s/ascent-break-away-frameset.jpg

I ordered the the break away version

http://ritcheylogic.com/frames/mountain/ascent-frameset.html

4 of these are leaving the Ritchey Factory today

2 medium

2 large

Arriving on the 16th

Getting very excited now

attachicon.gif2014-03-21-08.54.28-Large.jpg

Pros:

Cons:
  • Heavy 1226g

attachicon.gif12079144_925304934172668_316036202573361088_n.jpg

and...

Pros:

• Light weight. The frame bag weighs 172g, the sadel bag weighs 317g
Cons:

Edit: corrected weights

Gary, where did you get your frame and saddle bag from?

Archived