Long distance touring bike

_freak_

You can fit 700c wheels and road tires on a 26er MTB frame. Easily

Yes but I wanted to have the distinct advantage of disc brakes.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So the 29's with slicks should fit then as well is the 700c's would fit...

Yes the 29's are probably a better option comfort wise but my mtb is a 26 and I wanted wheel compatibility.

Another factor would be that if you are going into the sticks a 26 tyre would be easier to replace if your tyre fails.

I have an unused set of the Schwalbes still in the original packaging if you are interested.....

What size?

What you wanting to get for them?

True.. Then you can but some tubeless road tires and have the full monty... Or see if some CX tires will fit and get some Ritchey Shields...

Best of both worlds so to say

hijack on

i have a rohloff hub that is about 4 years and 6000km old.  I used it on my normal MTB but the gear ratio and weight was a bit limiting for races, so I didn't build it onto my new bike.  If you need a geared hub, let me know and I'll remove it from my wheel and get it serviced.

hijack off

hijack on

i have a rohloff hub that is about 4 years and 6000km old.  I used it on my normal MTB but the gear ratio and weight was a bit limiting for races, so I didn't build it onto my new bike.  If you need a geared hub, let me know and I'll remove it from my wheel and get it serviced.

hijack off

:eek: ,price ?

hijack on

hijack off

Now that will the bees knees. Rohloff with a Gates belt.  Schweet..

I have an unused set of the Schwalbes still in the original packaging if you are interested.....

These are great tyres.  Used a set of Conti tyres but much prefer these,  Have hem set up tubeless where the Conti's leaked out of the side walls and never stopped. 

Thanks for all the imput 

We have done some touring this past year on my duel sys with rack and panniers, but the avarage speed really limmits you on the dustance you can travel in a day.

That got me thinking on going hard tail with slicks and getting some frame bags instead...

Below is my current setup

Same as my set up.  I have no need to be anywhere fast so it suits me at the moment.  A 29" may add some extra distance/day but who cares.  Wild camp when the sun sets is what I do.

Stick with it, seems great.  Knoblies just do not cut it for me though.  Marathon plus is answer for my requirements.