Long distance touring bike

_freak_

Hi all

Im looking at maybe building a long distance touring type if bike, I never tried fitting  700c road bike wheels to a MTB frame, Anybody ever did this?

Would the frame need to be 26, 27.5 or 29’r to fit those wheels? And then of course these will be built on MTB disk hubs…

Your input?

post-12987-0-03411900-1416206476_thumb.jpg

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all

Im looking at maybe building a long distance touring type if bike, I never tried fitting  700c road bike wheels to a MTB frame, Anybody ever did this?

Would the frame need to be 26, 27.5 or 29’r to fit those wheels? And then of course these will be built on MTB disk hubs…

Your input?

You are describing a 29'er with slicks.

29 and 700c are for practical purposes interchangeable

freak, being considering the same idea fora a long distance bike.

would you consider riding the bike on good dirt roads ?

there were some pics on a thread with road bikes (?) on dirt roads.

You are describing a 29'er with slicks.

29 and 700c are for practical purposes interchangeable

ok

so if i build the bike on  a 29'r frame i would be able to just fit  either 700c or 29'r rims regardless?

The reason i was thinking 700c is i would be able to fit narrower tyres than on a 29r rim...

freak, being considering the same idea fora a long distance bike.

would you consider riding the bike on good dirt roads ?

there were some pics on a thread with road bikes (?) on dirt roads.

Slowbee

mainly road, BUT, there will be some dirt road, and not to say good dirt road either...

i like my riding position on MTB more than on road bike and dont really want  a road bike again, would rather custimize a MTB to my needs...

ok

so if i build the bike on a 29'r frame i would be able to just fit either 700c or 29'r rims regardless?

The reason i was thinking 700c is i would be able to fit narrower tyres than on a 29r rim...

You can build 700c rims onto MTb disk hubs, or just use 28 or 32 mm road tyres on your Crests......

Personally, as you are planning to do some off-road riding, I'd just go for 32 mm cyclocross tyres on mtb rims

Edited by eddy

any specific reason for thin tyres other than the "speed" advantage?

Surely if you are touring, speed is not that important ?

Ok, here is my view on it as I am also trying to buy/build a touring bike.  If you are looking to do touring with panniers and all the frame needs to strong, very strong.  A MTB frame should do but still there is no guarantee. I was also looking at it to build my bike, but unfortunately I could not find a budget one that splits the rear triangle to fit a gates belt drive.

As for the wheels, I think you might be able to get away with something like a 27.5" frame, but my bet would be to get a 29r hardtail.  I would definitely go for a strong wheelset, a cyclocross or touring wheelset bolted to mtb hubs, something like ZTR Iron Cross comes to mind.  Fits some fatter Schwalbe Marathon tires or any other one tire bigger than 700cx32 and ditch the suspension fork as you will have fatter tires.

Then don't forget the mudgaurds.  Riding in the rain is miserable enough, but getting all the dirt from the road thrown up at you makes it even worse.  Try and make sure the bike can fit a carrier, if you are planning on using panniers.

Here in Europe they are very popular, but also extremely expensive as they come with all the bells and whistles.  IF you click on the link, it will take you to one of the mass produced touring bikes, but it has everything you need, carrier, dynamo, 11 speed Alfine and a maintenance free Gates belt drive.  This is just to give you ideas, let your mind run with it.

http://www.bergamont.de/en/bikes/urban/sweep-mgn-eq-gates/

Good luck

'

Oh, and one day when I do get my touring bike it has to have this, just for the bling factor.

http://supernova-lights.com/images/products/the_plug/the_plug_top.jpghttp://supernova-lights.com/images/products/the_plug/the_plug_front.jpg

Of course you need a hub dynamo, but in my opinion every good touring bike should have one :thumbup:

Thanks for all the imput 

We have done some touring this past year on my duel sys with rack and panniers, but the avarage speed really limmits you on the dustance you can travel in a day.

That got me thinking on going hard tail with slicks and getting some frame bags instead...

Below is my current setup

post-12987-0-20571500-1416213023_thumb.jpg

I have fitted road bike tyres on a 29er mtb rim. Could not remember the brand of the tyre or the rim as it was not my bike. So not sure if all 29er mtb rims are narrow enough to do this. I would take a 29er HT with these (http://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/continental-sport-contact-tyre) or these (http://www.buycycle.co.za/en/components/mtb-en/tyres/continental-mtb-tires/continental-cyclocross-speed-wired-tire.html). 

I am almost finished with my new project, a long distance tourer, will post a picture when done,

Basically mtb hardtail frame and 26 wheels with a triple ring 48-38-26 and 11-34 at the back, mtb bars and solid aluminium fork, disc brakes (160 f & b), frame, saddle, handlebar, saddle bags and rear carrier with medium/small panniers, will carry a small backpack as well.

At the moment there are tubed slicks on but would probably go to tubeless mtb tires for mainly gravel/off road.