Building a Cyclo Cross bike

Meerkat82

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

anyone got any Avid BB7 disc calipers lying around? or know where I can look for them at a good price?

Have BB5 calipers (including discs) available... Drop me a line if you're interested.

Going to be building myself a cyclo bike. This will be a long term project to suit the wallet and not a "off the floor" bought bike

Only way to do it IMO. Let me know if I can assist with a frame, wheels, tyres etc.

Only way to do it IMO. Let me know if I can assist with a frame, wheels, tyres etc.

Thanks Ryan. Will let you know. Just one question for now: frame size should be same as road I presume; what about stem length and handle bar drop?

Thanks Ryan. Will let you know. Just one question for now: frame size should be same as road I presume; what about stem length and handle bar drop?

Always comes down to personal preference but as a comparison against my road setup, I run a similar size frame, slightly shorter stem and a layback post. I run fairly shallow drops on both and will be changing to flared bars on the CX soon.

Top tubes can be longer than an equivalent road bike so a shorter stem is chosen or guys prefer a slightly more upright, in control setup that a shorter stem provides.

Shallow drop bars are preferred, some even with an exaggerated flare (something like an On-One Midge bar).

Hope that helps.

Edited by Ryanpmb

Always comes down to personal preference but as a comparison against my road setup, I run a similar size frame, slightly shorter stem and a layback post. I run fairly shallow drops on both and will be changing to flared bars on the CX soon.

Top tubes can be longer than an equivalent road bike so a shorter stem is chosen or guys prefer a slightly more upright, in control setup that a shorter stem provides.

Shallow drop bars are preferred, some even with an exaggerated flare (something like an On-One Midge bar).

Hope that helps.

Helps, thank you. I have an Itm road bar that is lying in my cupboard. Will use that. Will get stem once I decide on frame Edited by LOOK695

'Centre lock' or '6 Bolt' only refers to the way that the disc is mounted to the hub.This will make no difference to youre frame,as long as youre CX frame and fork are able to take discbrake calipers it wont matter what type of disc you use.Only size will matter(as always)????

Hi BenR

Not worried about the brakes, will the 29er wheel size fits into the Cx frame? Are the hub widths compatible?

Most CX frames will require the old MTB standard, 135mm rear and 100mm front, hub spacing running QR. However, some newer 'all-road/ gravel grind' frames are running TA's.

In addition, many of the steel frames will accept a 130mm rear hub - they just flex to take up the 2.5mm on either side when bolted up.