Building a Cyclo Cross bike

Meerkat82

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got 29" shimano wheels about R 3500 from Evobikes on my Cotic x. The tyres are Contental CycloXKing 35mm. They wear very quickly. As far as brakes go i have BB5s but they don't work very well because the pull ratios are wrong. (you either drag the pads or you have very little braking) You need BB5 or 7 which are road specific. I fitted a shimano caliper on the front to try an improve braking, it is a bit better but is also not road specific. I am not sure if it is just my bike but if I brake as hard as I can the QR axle can move position on the front fork unless you tighten it really really tightly. TA will solve this if it is a general problem.

As far as handling goes I unfortunately the cotic x does not steer very quickly and feels quite dead. Maybe a combination of the chrome moly frame, frame size and slack fork angle are the cause. My Colanago road bike feels better on paths and handles a lot better

Yes, you need road calipers to work with road brake levers. BB5 or BB7 brakes are great.

The Cotic X wasn't built as a thrashing CX racer. It has a long top tube and relatively tall head tube, giving the frame comfort. It's designed as a gravel grinder that can commute and take you to a Sunday CX race should you wish. As for the steering and the dead feeling - I wholeheartedly disagree. Mine feels super lively and just right in the steering department - might be me not particularly wanting an aggressively twitchy feeling steering. Perhaps try a narrower bar if that is your preference. The 'slack' fork is similar to many other pure CX bikes...

What's the criterion for a cross bike? Geos I assume?

I bought me a PX, mostly because: price, and I wanted a relaxed road bike that I could do gravel grinding with. Also bought rims that can handle road pressures.

In SA I believe the criterion isn't for a CX bike but more a gravel grinder/ all road type bike. There are very few so called CX bikes in SA that will be slung over a shoulder or ever see a hay bail... perhaps slinking down a singletrack for time to time - but that's about it.

For this reason, I'd put requirements for a SA CX (read gravel grinder) as comfortable geometry and the ability to take larger volume tyres. With this in mind I'd highly rate the London Road as a budget sensitive gravel grinder.

Note: you'll find your pressures running somewhere between a MTB and road tyre (depending on what and where you are riding off road).

Not sure what the problem with the bottle cage mounts is tho?

bottle cage mounts :)

Presumably due to the lack of ability to sling the bike on a shoulder?...

I'm trolling.

don't get me wrong that "London Road" is great and I nearly bought one myself.

it will do everything you want it to do, I'm fairly sure of that.

for me the following backs me up though.

down tube cables, sloping to tube and bottle cage mounts :)

The last time I moaned about exposed cables on the downtube I was told they are better for doing fixes in a race. Personally I dont like them though and prefer internal routing.

In SA I believe the criterion isn't for a CX bike but more a gravel grinder/ all road type bike. There are very few so called CX bikes in SA that will be slung over a shoulder or ever see a hay bail... perhaps slinking down a singletrack for time to time - but that's about it.

For this reason, I'd put requirements for a SA CX (read gravel grinder) as comfortable geometry and the ability to take larger volume tyres. With this in mind I'd highly rate the London Road as a budget sensitive gravel grinder.

Note: you'll find your pressures running somewhere between a MTB and road tyre (depending on what and where you are riding off road).

sound advise right there.

Which entry level frames are available in SA? Know of Niner, X-Planet/OnOne. Specialized sells the Crux as frame overseas, but not available here. Not sure of other manufactures

Which entry level frames are available in SA? Know of Niner, X-Planet/OnOne. Specialized sells the Crux as frame overseas, but not available here. Not sure of other manufactures

Ritchey is also available. 

Giant TCX might become available later - as this market segment grows.

Ritchey is also available. 

Giant TCX might become available later - as this market segment grows.

Forgot about Ritchey. Not so crazy about their frame though

Any opinion on the TRP Spyre C brakes, especially in comparison to the BB7's

Do you know what the price of the TRP's are locally?