Building a Cyclo Cross bike

Meerkat82

Quick for those for more knowledgeable, I ride an 80mm stem on my mtb, would I run the same length stem on my cx bike? The cx bike is a 54 and the mtb is an 18 inch giant anthem x.  

Oh, where can I get tubes from for the 35 wide tyres?

got myself continental tubes 27/28x1 1/4 -1.75.700x32/47(tour 28 all)

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, the mtb's top tube is 5cm longer than the x's so that means the x will potentially need a longer stem. maybe 100mm?  Reach will play a role as well.  

I know that reach is a factor and cx bars have more reach than a stock flat mtb bar because the hoods and brakes are "ahead" of the stem.  

Maybe I need to leave the stem for last and see how I feel once everything else is here.

nope. I have only ever ridden mtb. since back in the day when canti's were awesome and Nishiki was still around... or new...

Okay, the mtb's top tube is 5cm longer than the x's so that means the x will potentially need a longer stem. maybe 100mm?  Reach will play a role as well.  

I know that reach is a factor and cx bars have more reach than a stock flat mtb bar because the hoods and brakes are "ahead" of the stem.  

Maybe I need to leave the stem for last and see how I feel once everything else is here.

Leave your stem for last, remember your shift lever hoods are way further foward than where your bars meet the stem, so the type of bar you have will also affect your reach.

I would make do with what you have and ride it first, then make adjustments later.

For reference: my MTB is a 17" M frame and I'm using a 80mm stem and 720mm wide bars,

my CX bike is a 53cm with 100mm stem and 400mm wide, short reach bars

my beloved roadie is a 52cm with 420mm wide, 110mm long integrated bar & stem

A bit of random information but they are all very comfortable in their own way (I prefer my narrow CX bars, I would love to get narrow bars for the roadie too but it is too nice as it is).

Great info there! Thanks a million! I'm amazed how compact the x is geometry wise.

I think that I am going to need a 100mm stem. I will hold off for now and rather buy everything else that I need first

Hi guys

I have some pictures of the ( Scott ) cyclocross at a local bike shop that is for sale : second hand and seems owner wants R6500 but they might negotiate .

See attached pics and owners b card .

post-17119-0-21628100-1426584934_thumb.jpg

post-17119-0-56322200-1426584942_thumb.jpg

post-17119-0-36731000-1426584967_thumb.jpg

Great info there! Thanks a million! I'm amazed how compact the x is geometry wise.

I think that I am going to need a 100mm stem. I will hold off for now and rather buy everything else that I need first

for whats its worth my CX had a 100mm stem, while my road bike had a 90mm as did my MTB. No science in there but just a sample reference to see if you;re on the right track.

right I now have (drum roll):

cotic x frame

edge design xlr 300 wheels

ritchey tyres

edge design stem and seat post

XO 10 speed rear derailleur

Gobi Saddle

Canti brakes

Look pedals

Bottle cages

I am super chuffed. Ryan is helping me source a handlebar and some tubes! Thanks again sir.