Ladies in Enduro

Andrew Backstrom

Hi Ladies

I was wondering if you could assist me with this.

• At the events you take part in, on average how many ladies are there?
  • What do you think is lacking at the events you attend?
  • Do you think the cycling community cater enough for you? (bikes, gear etc)

Look forward to the feedback.

Hey guys I am fully aware that the target market here is male specific, so perhaps those of you with partners can assist me. 

We are wanting to make our events more couple friendly and therefore would like to know what would attract the average female to the Enduro events.

I would also like to know how would the response be for girls Enduro clothing 

Thanks for the assistance

Hey dude

Drop me a mail with your thoughts and I'll see if i can provide some insight from our events here in KZN.

For our Provincials we had between 7 and 14 ladies in a field that ranged from 60 to 100 riders.

So roughly 10% of the field.

Of those ladies (in the 14 strong field) - 4 race DH at regional level, 4 race XC at regional and national level - and the rest are just social (i think - they may race XC but i havent heard the names before) ...

Not sure what you are looking to promote etc. But i can help where i can drawing on what I experienced at our provincals this year

nigel.hicks101@gmail.com

Hey Andrew, let me just say the females that are already competing are ripping it up! Kudos.

From my side the big thing is our little boy, if we are both riding then there is no-one to watch our son. It may seem silly, but a child minder/child friendly area may just be something for the events.

(We cant always get a sitter, so it often ends up in a bit of a fight as I'm doing what I want to do, and the Missus is stuck at the tent).

So as much as I'd love to see her on the trails with me, it often isn't feasible.

Hey Andrew, let me just say the females that are already competing are ripping it up! Kudos.

From my side the big thing is our little boy, if we are both riding then there is no-one to watch our son. It may seem silly, but a child minder/child friendly area may just be something for the events.

(We cant always get a sitter, so it often ends up in a bit of a fight as I'm doing what I want to do, and the Missus is stuck at the tent).

So as much as I'd love to see her on the trails with me, it often isn't feasible.

Love the comment. Something I did not consider. Will look into it 

Babysitters! No there's something all trail centers should have. (After warm showers and Seattle coffee.)

If most of the races are taking on the Saturday practice / Sunday race format, Skills sessions on the Saturday would also be super cool.

Most of the ladies I know would gladly pay for this. ( A lot of the guys would too.)

• 1 month later...

Hey just food for thought on the kids topic: the Scottburgh Classic organised a kids zone so parents could drop their kids and ride the classic. It was really popular and received good feedback. Some local teachers ran the kids zone, and it was complete with juice, hot dog and fruit for the kids. 

I wish I'd seen this post earlier :) Getting ladies specific riding baggies and shirts on display (to try on and buy) at Enduros would also be awesome. I am so tired of buying stuff online that is too big, too small...although after multiple misses I finally got it right. 

I would also say that having an optional guided ride of the stages for beginners/ladies (anyone who is new to Enduro) the day before might be a nice draw card. To explain the technical elements people need to look out for. Might wind up in less injuries on race day ;)

Hey just food for thought on the kids topic: the Scottburgh Classic organised a kids zone so parents could drop their kids and ride the classic. It was really popular and received good feedback. Some local teachers ran the kids zone, and it was complete with juice, hot dog and fruit for the kids. 

I wish I'd seen this post earlier :) Getting ladies specific riding baggies and shirts on display (to try on and buy) at Enduros would also be awesome. I am so tired of buying stuff online that is too big, too small...although after multiple misses I finally got it right. 

I would also say that having an optional guided ride of the stages for beginners/ladies (anyone who is new to Enduro) the day before might be a nice draw card. To explain the technical elements people need to look out for. Might wind up in less injuries on race day ;)

Thanks for the great response.

I will raise your suggestion at the next meeting. 

On the clothing side; ONE industries had a ladies range lined up this season but now have pushed it back a season. 

have female clothing on display and put a giant sign that says sale on it, but you dont need to actually put it on sale

goodness that was sexist! :/

Be rad to get more ladies into the more rough and tumble side of mtb, they don't like scars and stuff so protective wear is quite big on the agenda, my sister didn't take kindly to the scabs that developed after going otb!

Archived