Seat height

ballisticz4

Now this might sound stupid, but is there a hard and fast rule for setting seat height? Been out with my bike thrice now, and always come back with a pain in da arse and aching wrists. I can understand the arse part, that will pass with time (I hope) but the wrists? Currently have a large frame bike and my height is 1.67m and seat is set to almost it's lowest.

Wrist pain is almost always from placing too much weight on your hands, which is directly related to core strength. Also, you may be a bit too stretched out on the bike, which is rectified through putting on a shorter stem and working on the core.

Edit: now seeing your height (that would have been a bit useful to put in from the beginning, btw) you're on the wrong size frame and are too stretched out as a result of that.

Bike is probably too big for you. Depending on the type of cycling (mtb/road/etc) I think you are probably a medium, not large.

The wrists may be from you over reaching and placing excessive load on your hands. Try and get a proper bike setup done, otherwise look on the feb for a setup/sizing caculator to help

I'm 178 and on a medium.

At that height you are way too stretched out and you will load your forearm and wrist big time.

I don't think a stem change will be enough.

Your bike is way too big and will be too long in the top tube forcing you to lean forward and stretch putting a lot of strain on your core, wrists, arms and shoulders. I am 1.87m and ride a Large frame, you are best to go for the smaller frame that suits you, in your case probably a small.

I do not know how serious you are about your biking. Your frame is to big.

When you buy your frame size, go for a bike fit. Best money I spend so far on my mtb.

Enjoy the outdoors.

Cheers

Currently have a large frame bike and my height is 1.67m and seat is set to almost it's lowest.

Clearly whoever sold you that "incorrectly sized" bicycle does not have your best interest in mind...

Well, I bought the frame, the salesman was obviously not to interested in it being to big for me.. Thought it would be a good upgrade on the mongoose I had. Also, the spot just between my arse and my nuts seems to be more in pain than my actual cheeks. I can see the relation between that and me leaning so far forward. It's just the rest of the bike seemed fine so didn't really figure frame size to be an issue. Anybody wanna swop me a medium frame for this one? 

As for me being serious about cycling! I love it although I don't always have the time to do it. But when I do go out with my son, I would like a comfortable drive without issues like this. It could lead to worse and it will eventually just deter me from going anywhere with a bike.

So it's off frame hunting, again! What happened to the days of just buying a bike and riding it.

Thanx for the replies and the explanations guys, it's appreciated :thumbup:

Frame waaaaay to big for you. Sorry but only thing that will help both pain issues is the right size frame. (your saddle may be tilted slightly up so check that out to reduce your butt pain.)

But always get a decent setup by someone who realy knows what they are doing. Not the 10 minutes on the way out the door setup. A proper setup should take 60-90 minutes.

Archived