Ironman SA 2015

Snytjie

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where is good accom close to the start, nothing fancy, my usual spot not available any more 

I stayed at the Road lodge, closest hotel to hobie beach, my window overlooked the beach. basic and small but livable with the added bonus of being the closest hotel to the beach. there is the boardwalk itself, courtyard, townlodge, raddison , city lodge all within walking distance though and within 500 metres or so ..

Where is good accom close to the start, nothing fancy, my usual spot not available any more 

Humewood is my hotel of choice.

I always get a room with a balcony so that the missus can sit up there and relax while at the same time watching the race.

Maybe 1km away from the start

I always stay at 1st Avenue Lodge.

Just entered for 2016. Had a real *** ride this year (i.e. completely under estimated the new bike route)and hence there is some unfinished bizness in PE... who else is in already?

Just entered for 2016. Had a real *** ride this year (i.e. completely under estimated the new bike route)and hence there is some unfinished bizness in PE... who else is in already?

not entered yet, have booked accommodation though. :thumbup:

will enter in the next week or 3 soon as I get the $$ ...

Awesome! Ja, it's getting pricey now, but ag, it's such a great event that the financial investment is soon forgotten. Can't wait! Just need to focus a lot more on the bike this time round.

Awesome! Ja, it's getting pricey now, but ag, it's such a great event that the financial investment is soon forgotten. Can't wait! Just need to focus a lot more on the bike this time round.

I had a look at some of the pricing elsewhere in the world and ours is very cheap in comparison... (yeah I know one should not compare) was thinking of possibly doing Oz or NZ at some point too.

Well worth the money I agree ... I thought it was expensive until I actually did one ... I don't mind paying the admission fee.

Me, I have unfinished business with the run :whistling:   so want to get back there and achieve a 14 hour...  also want to sit in the stands and cheer the guys in the last hour instead of actually being one of the guys finishing in the last hour...

Edited by IceCreamMan

+1 here...Just want to finish of the sani2c actually

Me, I have unfinished business with the run :whistling:   so want to get back there and achieve a 14 hour...  also want to sit in the stands and cheer the guys in the last hour instead of actually being one of the guys finishing in the last hour...

Haha! I feel ashamed that I didn't come back for the last hour, but was simply too smashed after the race. Hopefully next year we can join up in the stands post race for a celebratory cold one.

I feel the same -  need to go back and do a better job of it. Haven't entered yet, but accommodation provisionally booked 

• 1 month later...

Hi there Ironmen & Women

I remember during the taper week a discussion about tapering was on the brew (To much 17hrs vs to little 5hrs), so i thought maybe you experienced guys would like to share your race day finding.

The data that i would think would be most interesting to see would be,

1) Amount of training done in Taper week?

2) Race Day - Was your body tired or fresh as a daisy?

3) On race day did you feel over or under trained?

4) What was your own realistic goal that you set for yourself (Not the one you told people in the hope you would smash it) vs the time you achieved?

5) With hind sight, how would you change your last few weeks before race day if you could?

Hi there Ironmen & Women

I remember during the taper week a discussion about tapering was on the brew (To much 17hrs vs to little 5hrs), so i thought maybe you experienced guys would like to share your race day finding.

1) Amount of training done in Taper week?  Two week taper, first week 10 hours, race week 7 hours

2) Race Day - Was your body tired or fresh as a daisy?  Felt awesome

3) On race day did you feel over or under trained? Just right

4) What was your own realistic goal that you set for yourself (Not the one you told people in the hope you would smash it) vs the time you achieved? My first full IM, beat my goal by 40 min.  Surprised myself on the run.

5) With hind sight, how would you change your last few weeks before race day if you could? Cannot really think of anything.  Worry less?

1) 2/3 week taper 1st week 5hr- had some commitments that interrupted training 2nd week- 7hr and race week- 3hr

2) mind was fresh and well rested- the body followed suit

3) training was just right- could have increased the intensity slightly

4)  was hoping for sub 12- would have been dissapointed if i did +13- achieved 12h50 had still juice left in the tank to run more....

5) rest & stretch more and worry less as Sparkles put it to you..

Hi there Ironmen & Women

1) Amount of training done in Taper week?

2) Race Day - Was your body tired or fresh as a daisy?

3) On race day did you feel over or under trained?

4) What was your own realistic goal that you set for yourself (Not the one you told people in the hope you would smash it) vs the time you achieved?

5) With hind sight, how would you change your last few weeks before race day if you could?

Great question, looking forward to the replies.

1. I only tapered in the last week. My intention was to put in about 6 hours or so, reality checked me and lad was ill and and and I ended up on around 2 hours but this had no effect on my race, prolly a blessing.

2. I had to much going on around me, so was not fresh as I should of been.

3. I felt in the groove, neither over or under trained but I guess I could of and should of done more high intensity training.

4. I had realistic expectations of 14 hours, was on track til a a previous injury resurfaced. Ended on 16:25. Haha was cool though. Next year 14.

5. Stress less...have a jol an enjoy the time chilling. Easy to say difficult to do at yr first iron man.

Great question

Cheers