KZN Enduro #1 - Karkloof

Mar

Hi

Any more info on the 1st race of the season. Camping at the Country club, stages, etc etc?

I would just like to start the planning.

I know it's fairly close to first race, but where can I do some proper Enduro training/riding?

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Mar, the enduro is still on for Saturday 7 Feb.

I'll confirm 100% regarding camping at the Karkloof Country Club, but the club was planning to allow it.

I'll get the necessary details and post them here in the next day or so.

Also, stick around and ride the DH event on the Sunday (8 Feb). All major obstacles on the track will have alternate lines so there will be otions available to suite all skill levels.

Thanks Super

The plan is to get there on Friday, setup, and practice and race on Sat. Then watch the DH event and leave on Monday. Not sure about doing the DH though.

Confirmed that camping will be allowed.

I'm just awaiting confirmation of cost per person per night and the contact persons details.

I'll post ASAP.

Is a Full Face lid recommended for this race?

Hey Mar

KZNMTB, CSA and International Ruling stipulates that for an Enduro event the following is required.

1. Any helmet - Open face (XC) or Fullface which needs to be worn at all times during the event.

For the Downhill event you need the following

1. Full face helmet with a peak

2. Long sleeve shirt or elbow guards with a short sleeve

3 Long pants or knee guards with shorts

4. Full finger gloves

--------------

For the Enduro I would suggest a set of light wight knee guards and an open face helmet as there is quite a bit of pedalling - but if you are to do the Downhill on the sunday then you will need a full face for that

Edited by nigelhicks

Oh and race routes will be posted closer to the time as the trail fairies still need to go and do a bit of prep. 

Is a Full Face lid recommended for this race?

Entirely up to you Mar. The trails that will be used for the event are ridden most weekends by people almost exclusively wearing XC lids. That said if you feel safer using a full face by all means go ahead. Feel free to wear whatever crash protection will make you feel comfortable.

That said the temperature on the day of the event may help to dictate just how much additional kit you can wear. Nige & I (and a couple others) rode some of the trails the other day and we cooked in XC lids.

Thanks Nigel

I use the IXS Trail RS Helmet and some 661 Knee Pads. I'm not doing the DH though.

Saving up for a Dropper.

Edited by Mar

Thanks Nigel

I use the IXS Trail RS Helmet and some 661 Knee Pads. I'm not doing the DH though.

Saving up for a Dropper.

Why not....it is double the fun! You get dropped off at the top even..haha..only reason I do it of course.

Oh and race routes will be posted closer to the time as the trail fairies still need to go and do a bit of prep. 

Any idea if shuttles will be running on the Saturday for DH practice? Would like to get a few practice runs in after the enduro.

Any idea if shuttles will be running on the Saturday for DH practice? Would like to get a few practice runs in after the enduro.

AFAIK there will be no organized shuttles on the Saturday. That said people may shuttle privately BUT MAY NOT SHUTTLE ANY OF THE SAPPI ACCESS ROADS. This will also be in effect on the Sunday, so DH riders will be dropped off at the top of the Demagtenberg road and have a 5 minute (mostly downhill) roll to the start of the track. The roll to the start of the track will be marked and riders will be suitably briefed before the event.

Unfortunately there is just too much red tape to organize shuttles along the SAPPI access roads. 

Also, I have not forgotten about the camping prices... Just formalizing everything so there are no mis-communications. I will have the details available tomorrow.