Ironman 70.3 Durban

JScottP

Well so happy to have finished considering my itb started giving me trouble half way through the cycle and I had to walk most of the run. Swim was okay except for coming back in. But good race otherwise

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What were the sea conditions like...?

I found it fine going out, but got hammered on the way in, wrong place wrong time... A big wave landed on me, and I just rolled for what seemed like ages. Otherwise not too bad.

post-49286-0-75679900-1438585002_thumb.jpg

If anything their arrival has made the 70.3 East London bags and medals look worse...

Old post but glad someone mentioned the medals. Compared to my Slanghoek medal the 70.3 medal is a shocker!!

Hey... that was awesome!!.. my first IM 70.3 and first of that distance. .. did two sprints this year, new to triathlons.. goal was to finish and I managed a very happy 6h56....

Who's the guy in the 65 - 69 category? He did close on 5hrs. Pretty fekken remarkable.

That's Tim

Can run and bike with the best of them

If i'm not mistaken he won his age group at Kona

Must say big up to everyone in the field, the swim coming in at Bike & Bean must have been tough for a lot of people as the waves were fair sized and breaking hard on the bank. Never thought to snap some pics.

See there were only 2206 finishers out of 3000 entries. Hundreds of non starters and lots of non finishers. That must be highest attrition rate for any SA Ironman event.

I know of a few people who pulled out of cycle/run due to injury/illness, and also saw many people give up on the swim... the current was apparently quite hectic trying to get out past the back line of waves, kept pushing people back in.. A few friends compared GPS data and the swim ended up being about 2.1km

ya i can believe that, when they were coming in it was like a diagonal line. Not straight in because of sidewash

Something tells me this one could've hurt...

In waves like that I would have beaten everyone coming back in.

It was awesome growing up as a surfer.

Archived