Serviceing Look Pedals

supavan

I'm in need of some help.

I have a set of Look 206 pedals (see picture below)

Look%20PP%20206%20pedal

I've had them for about 3 years now and I'm very happy with them. The don't look as pretty as the one above any more but they still work well enough.

Recently I opened them up (for the first time ever) to clean and re-grease them. Pre Argus preperations...

I then dicovered that the bearing on the right pedal is not rolling smoothly any more.

So, are there agents for Look in Johannesburg that can service the pedals?

You have already opened those pedals, why not just complete the job and forget about sending it to an agent? It'll take you 20 mins max to do both sides.

Have a good look at the naughty bearing and determine why it is not rolling smoothly anymore. If the cone is too tight, loosen it up a little. If the bearings are corroded, replace the balls. If the lube is dry, just wash them thoroughly in a little bit of paraffin, using a paintbrush to get all the gunk out. Then relube and refit. You may need a combination of the above tactics but it's a very, very simply job indeed.

JB, by the way, when's your next DIY bike maintenance course?  And do you cover stuff like this in it or is it more on how to set gears, etc?

JB' date=' by the way, when's your next DIY bike maintenance course?  And do you cover stuff like this in it or is it more on how to set gears, etc?[/quote']

Hi Ettienne.

My next course is early in April, when my new studio in Northcliff will be finished. The builder promised me an end-January 2008 finish but that doesn't look feasible anymore. I don't have a fixed date, I want to be absolutely sure the studio is finished first.

Yes I do cover pedal maintenance. Problem with pedals is that most of them require a special, proprietary tool to get the bearing out and most people chuck that away when they buy their pedals, not knowing what that strange plastic thing is for.

The only things I don't cover in my basic course are:

1) Hydraulic brakes (special course)

2) Suspension forms (special course)

3) Framebuilding (obsolete course).

JB' date=' by the way, when's your next DIY bike maintenance course?  And do you cover stuff like this in it or is it more on how to set gears, etc?[/quote']

Hi Ettienne.

My next course is early in April, when my new studio in Northcliff will be finished. The builder promised me an end-January 2008 finish but that doesn't look feasible anymore. I don't have a fixed date, I want to be absolutely sure the studio is finished first.

Yes I do cover pedal maintenance. Problem with pedals is that most of them require a special, proprietary tool to get the bearing out and most people chuck that away when they buy their pedals, not knowing what that strange plastic thing is for.

The only things I don't cover in my basic course are:

1) Hydraulic brakes (special course)

2) Suspension forms (special course)

3) Framebuilding (obsolete course).

OK, sounds cool.  Will you mention it on the Hub again?

Hi Johan

The bearings are sealed units that are fitted onto the pedal axle.

If it was a case of cones and balls I wouldn't have had a problem.

Be sure to let us know as soon as that sudio is finished. I'd be interrested in attending and I'm pretty sure my dad will also join in.

I do most of my own maintenance. Even wheel trueing if it's a slight enough wobble. Trueing stands are expensive though, so the serious stuff is sent to my LBS.

If they're sealed bearings, or rather, cartridge bearings, it is a case of removing them and replacing the bearing with something you get from Bearing Man for a few rands. Don't buy Indian or Chinese bearings. Go for Japanese or Swedish. I am sure both those countries can make good bearings if they try, but the local importers seem to only buy the dregs from those countries.

Usually you'll need a small flat spanner or socket to remove the bearing from the tip if the axle. The one towards the crank-side of the axle is press-fit on and may need some gentle tapping - one tap per 180 degree orientation of the bearing until it slides off.

Take a photo and most of the techies here can give you exact advice. Unlike bike mechanics I don't see the variety of components they do so I can only advise on general principles.

Johan Bornman2008-03-27 09:51:52

I'm currenlty trying to decide what to do.

I have a good offer to buy a new pair of Look Keo pedals. Replacing the bearing sounds easy enough.

It's heart vs head Ermm