Damage Steering Tube advice

Shann Spark 940

Beating it....gently :devil:  has come to mind but being a brand new bike I'm cautious but it's excellent to hear that you've replaced steerers as some have said it's an out and out no-no....

Yeah, like I said, we had to get a LBS to order them as its not something that you can just walk in and grab off the spare parts board. Any reasonable bike shop should be able to get one. The straight ones pressed out relatively easily (We do have an engineering background and used a hydraulic press to get it out.) Make sure that you support the crown properly as well or it will break. Once it's out, you need to make up a tool to press the new one in. An engineering shop should be able to help out if you don't have mates in the game. Might cost you a few rand or offer to pay in beer :thumbup:

Try Andy's suggestion first though. Just make sure that you don't flare the top or you'll have to file away material to get the stem to fit.

A thought - Did you have a spacer above the stem, and if not, how far below the top of the stem was the steerer tube?

If it's more than 2mm, there's the answer to how it happened.

When you cut your new steerer, leave enough room for a 5mm spacer between stem and topcap. More clamping area = better.

I'm not understanding how the steerer tube gets bent when its below the top of the stem, is it not supported by the body of the stem?

If the tube is cut to far below the top of the stem is it weakened to the point it can crumple/deform in a crash from the twisting force of the bolted on stem?

Try the insurance route first.

My suggestion may lead to problems with your bikes cover should you require it in the future.

Good point - will check in with Insurance

The damage is quite perculiar.

It's as if you've somehow managed to pop open the little yolk sachet without cracking open the egg. 

Yes, exactly, at a loss as to how it really happened

I can't see any way that the steerer could bend like that with a stem attached and the stem is undamaged?

Think perhaps the steerer was previously damaged and the wipeout just exposed the issue?

I honestly think you have a point.  When I opened up the box the stem was already on so I'd not have seen any damage.  Maybe the snap sound I heard was the stem coming lose under tension

A thought - Did you have a spacer above the stem, and if not, how far below the top of the stem was the steerer tube?

If it's more than 2mm, there's the answer to how it happened.

When you cut your new steerer, leave enough room for a 5mm spacer between stem and topcap. More clamping area = better.

Spacer was below the stem...can't seem to post a pic in this reply

I honestly think you have a point.  When I opened up the box the stem was already on so I'd not have seen any damage.  Maybe the snap sound I heard was the stem coming lose under tension

I'm going to go with that.  I reckon the dent was made while someone was cutting the tube down to length and it's purely by chance that you discovered it with the fall.  The more I look at the pics the more impossible it seems that any fall would have caused that without seriously damaging the stem and the topcap.  At the very least, the spider would have pulled up through the tube.

I'm going to go with that.  I reckon the dent was made while someone was cutting the tube down to length and it's purely by chance that you discovered it with the fall.  The more I look at the pics the more impossible it seems that any fall would have caused that without seriously damaging the stem and the topcap.  At the very least, the spider would have pulled up through the tube.

I'm guessing someone used one of those nice industrial pipe-cutters and screwed in the adjustment in way to much causing that dent.

Archived