Another supplement company. . .

Matchstix

I'm not any kind of technologist but I do know that if I pull the leaves off the head of lettuce they go brown but if I buy the Woolies lettuce in the sealed packet they are not brown. Not sure what they do but I suspect there is some sort of gas injected to keep it from going brown. Similarly for other prepared veg.

That is a pretty big claim meneer and is your opinion rather than fact. I did some work in that industry a while a go and like I said before, cold chain is ubber alles in the fresh produce game. from plant/animal to shelves they have got waxed, things dont sit in baking in the sun / storeroom before packaging. Also should this happen, they dont use it. I have seen it with my own eyes, and can guarantee you if they do start dropping the ball they won't be able to charge what they do, their customers don't mind paying if they get quality.

This is also the reason you pay more for their fresh produce

Fair enough, just my surmisations.

Its not irradiated....

I'm in the industry too (food technologist)....and regularly do work at the factories that supply woolworths......they are VERY VERY strict (read ...full of crap)

ANYTHING is south africa that is irradiated is governed by law....and HAS to be labelled as such (you'll see a little sticker/emblem on it with a design that looks like a flower....and states "radurised" on it

I'm not any kind of technologist but I do know that if I pull the leaves off the head of lettuce they go brown but if I buy the Woolies lettuce in the sealed packet they are not brown. Not sure what they do but I suspect there is some sort of gas injected to keep it from going brown. Similarly for other prepared veg.

MAP packaging (modified atmosphere pack)......do a gas flush.....remove the oxygen...spray it with nitrogen (or similar).....

lots of stuff (food) degrades in oxygen...change the surrounding conditions and extend/improve the shelf life

MAP packaging (modified atmosphere pack)......do a gas flush.....remove the oxygen...spray it with nitrogen (or similar).....

lots of stuff (food) degrades in oxygen...change the surrounding conditions and extend/improve the shelf life

boom this

also another step where $ are spent ito keeping stuff as fresh as possible. Of course they pass that onto us, but again...we dont mind considering what we get

The fresh stuff is all good.....

One MAJOR concern (and not many people know this) .....is something like chicken (as deanbean) said......if you're going to eat chicken....do freerange (it costs more...but heres why)

Standard battery chickens get fed a majority of fishmeal supplemented food to get them to grow faster/bulk up etc.....(fishmeal=high protein content)

Now fishmeal is made of "trash" fish and waste offcuts from the factories......so they chuck all the blood and bits into a huge 120ton pit......where ti lies for a "while". 

After a bit ....this stuff is basically liquid (sometimes comes off the boat that way too)......fishmeal is then made by cooking this...pressing it to remove oil....and drying the rest to a meal texture.

The only problem is....the screw augurs cant "bite" on a liquid mix......and thus they add formaldehyde to denature the protein and solidify it.....google formaldehyde/formalin and see just how bad it is (its a carcinogen...ie cancer causing).

they're allowed....BY LAW ...to add it...and they add 100's of liters of it to make fishmeal.....fishmeal then gets fed to chickens.....which u eat....etc etc

Archived