Going Tubeless on Road Bike

Links MTB

I am thinking of converting my road bike to running tubeless and am puzzled why this topic (for road bikes) seems to be getting so little attention on The Hub (unless I am using the wrong keywords to search). Given what an overwhelming success tubeless has been for MTB, I would have thought that more people would be looking into it for road bikes. Am I missing something?

Gcn does a good video on road tubeless... In summary :

With sealant it's heavier.

You have less road feel.

It's only an advantage if you prone to many pinch flats and punctures.

I saw the video, but I think the reviewer forgot that the sealant is not static, so whilst I agree that it adds to the static weight of the bike, I disagree that it adds additional rolling resistance (unless you are using too much sealant)

I'm running a set Easton EA90 RT's with tubes and Conti Gator Skins. I have only had one puncture in the last year which I quickly fixed on a training ride.
So why do it? Unless you plan on racing through a thorn field on your road bike.

Jakkals I hear you. I am merely trying to get as much info and opinions from chaps who have been doing this for a lot longer than I have. At the end of the day my main objective for me and more importantly for my wife is to lower the risk of punctures and in doing so saving a lot of frustration. You and I may be able to fix a flat in just a few minutes, but for most lady riders it is a major issue, especially in races.

Edited by Links MTB

I have been running Easton ea90rt rims for about 2 years now with Hutchinson fusion 3 tyres and 30ml of Stans have never had a puncher. Will never ride a tube ever again. If you are thinking of converting a normal rim use 21mm Stans rim tape and tubeless valve with removable core. Lots of soapy water to seat the bead and only use tubeless tyres. Also use a perfectly clean rim with ruffed up the inside of the rim with a scotch pad so that the rim tape sits. Also a word of warning do not use tyre levers to mount the tyres. Roll them on with your hands. Good luck with the conversion.

The issue is cost. You need special rims and tyres (theoretically).

I have been using it for more than 2 years now. No flats. One sidewall cut that sealed at 3.5 bar. I finished the race without stopping. I don't carry a tube anymore on races (just a plug and a bomb).

Schwalbe did a lot of research. Lower pressure gives LESS rolling resistance. I use 50ml of Stans or Doc Blue per tyre.

I just bought another set of tubeless wheels.

Edited by TALUS

Jakkals I hear you. I am merely trying to get as much info and opinions from chaps who has been doing this for a lot longer than I have. At the end of the day my main objective for me and more importantly for my wife is to lower the risk of punctures and in doing so saving a lot of frustration. You and I may be able to fix a flat in just a few minutes, but for most lady riders it is a major issue, especially in races.

Agreed! Even I struggle to change a flat in a hurry without blistering my thumbs while popping the tyre back on.

Gcn does a good video on road tubeless... In summary :

With sealant it's heavier.

You have less road feel.

It's only an advantage if you prone to many pinch flats and punctures.

Not true about road feel I think. They run at lower pressure. Many benefits.

I am also riding Easton tubeless. I love them. They weigh less than my tubed Racing 3's. I also ride Hutcinson tires and have not had a flat yet.

Next set of tires will Schwalbe One 25. But these will last for a long time yet.

I have easton ea90slx (tubeless ready). I had entry mavics before.

I put 7000kms on my entry vittaros with no punctures.  Infact, 7000kms without punctures until last week when I rode my bike over a field after 99er with thousands of thorns (I didnt know).

By that rationale, going tubes gives you 7000kms on tire life with zero punctures? Not quite.

Its down to luck, where you ride.

As mentioned before, if you someone that gets pinch flats, then do it.

My logic, go 8bar or go home. best remedy. I did switch to 25mm, That seems to be the it thing to do these days wheels wise.

Edited by nazmo