Cape Town Cycle Tour and the CSA Forbidden Races Rule

FrankB

By the time CSA figured out which licensed riders did, or didn't do the CTCT, the 2015 Epic will be a thing of the past. Judging by their track record... 

UCI / CSA will focus on the best riders 1st - so the best rider will need to make the minds up if the ride the Cape Town Cycle Tour they cannot ride the ABSA Cape Epic for example. I suspect the best riders will probably not ride the Cape Town Cycle Tour. I would also advise Licensed rider not even to ride this weekend tour de PPA it is not a sanctioned event!

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pardon my ignorance, but could you not just ride it without your chip?

Is it absolutely compulsory to have one on your bike that day?

No "official" result equals no official capability of sanction.

I think that the "Licensed Rider" needs to be cleared up.  As far as I know this only applies to rider holding a "full CSA racing license" and not to "normal CSA membership".

Pardon my ignorance, but could you not just ride it without your chip?

Is it absolutely compulsory to have one on your bike that day?

No "official" result equals no official capability of sanction.

TV, photos etc why would the best riders risk it - those who are racing the ABSA Cape Epic I am sure put more value on the Epic versa a funride. International Pro probably see little on no value in riding a funride.

Amazingly, I see NOTHING of this entire debacle on PPA's website? and CSA was accused of having their heads in the sand...

TV, photos etc why would the best riders risk it - those who are racing the ABSA Cape Epic I am sure put more value on the Epic versa a funride. International Pro probably see little on no value in riding a funride.

Because maybe you have booked your whole family into a nice hotel to enjoy a much deserving holiday.

Because as a Licensed Vet I don't give a rats ass what CSA say I can or cannot ride purely because they have a beef about money and politics.

Because CSA can shove their license if they are going to spoil my enjoyment of my sport I do FOR FUN.

Because maybe you have booked your whole family into a nice hotel to enjoy a much deserving holiday.

Because as a Licensed Vet I don't give a rats ass what CSA say I can or cannot ride purely because they have a beef about money and politics.

Because CSA can shove their license if they are going to spoil my enjoyment of my sport I do FOR FUN.

Someone buy this man a Bells! Agree 100% bud! 

I like to know what will happen to the officials at the event as most of them are CSA officials who do duties at all the major races. They also UCI license holders as is the team managers.

This boils down to PPA not wanting to be sanctioned by CSA due to the rider levy charged for all races in the country. What other sporting code in the country has two bodies controlling a particular sporting code.

Why should CSA sanction only the racing cats not the whole event?

R6-00 per rider x 25000 riders. Makes you think

As stated it will be a personal decision - you know what CSA / UCI penalties are, if they choose to impose them!

Not much different to doping and been caught - speeding and getting a fine etc. Action / consequences - it will be the individual decision to decide if the consequences are worth the risk!

Having read this whole thread I think I must have missed something.

The way I understand it, it boils down to PPA paying CSA 210,000 rand? (6 rand x 35 000 riders)

The additional day licenses are paid directly by the affected cyclist, collected by CTCT on behalf of CSA?

So unless I am oversimplifying this, this looks like it's more about the history between these two organisations with PPA losing its status within CSA than about the actual money to get the event sanctioned. As sanctioning would cost 2.6% of the total revenue and by the look of their finances PPA can afford this no problem.

Someone please tell me am wrong about this. For me losing the front of the field is a loss and takes away from the staus of the event. Looks like PPA trying to cut off its nose the spite its face. (Apologies for the cliche)

At the end of the day cycling suffers and for an organisation that claim to have the interests of cyclists at its core, think they need to be the bigger person in this case.

PPA was given a small say in CSA affairs when cycling was unified. This was unusual because PPA is not a province of SA. It was allowed because PPA was by FAR the biggest representative of cyclists in the country. PPA was also by FAR the biggest contributor towards funds for CSA. 

Then CSA wrote PPA out of its constitution, effectively giving it zero say while still wanting the money from PPA.

PPA said it will not stand for that 

CSA gave PPA the finger

PPA went to court and WON

CSA now using the only stick it has to beat PPA with

Simple enough for y'all?.

In light of this, I am applying to be reseeded into the Elite group. Suddenly not having a CSA licence is paying off, and I stand a chance of winning the Argus in probably the slowest winning time ever. Fame & glory, podium girls, helicopter flights and the cover of Bicycling magazine await!

In light of this, I am applying to be reseeded into the Elite group. Suddenly not having a CSA licence is paying off, and I stand a chance of winning the Argus in probably the slowest winning time ever. Fame & glory, podium girls, helicopter flights and the cover of Bicycling magazine await!

....and champagne.....always wanted to spray the crowd like a F1 driver! :D

....and champagne.....always wanted to spray the crowd like a F1 driver! :D

And unlike the real race snakes, I'll actually drink whatever is left!

And unlike the real race snakes, I'll actually drink whatever is left!

tea and scone mix blur'in the screen.... pass me  a wet wipe...

As stated it will be a personal decision - you know what CSA / UCI penalties are, if they choose to impose them!

Not much different to doping and been caught - speeding and getting a fine etc. Action / consequences - it will be the individual decision to decide if the consequences are worth the risk!

Speeding.  Doping.  All BAD things.  Things that can KILL you.  Things that are inherently against the morals and standards of a society in general.

Explain again why riding the CTCT is not sanctioned?  Because off?  .....MONEY.

Archived