Cape Town Cycle Tour and the CSA Forbidden Races Rule

FrankB

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1) PPA won a court case for PPA organised events so that those events need not be sanctioned by CSA

2) CTCT organises  an event commonly referred to as "The Argus"

3) 3 of the EXCO of PPA serve on the CTCT board.

4) The court case was won in February 2014 (11 months ago).

5) CTCT never requested CSA to sanction the event.

6) CSA has the legal right to sanction events for South Africa.

Out of the above a host of questions have arisen.. the most important for me as a participant: Why did CTCT not request a sanction from CSA? surely the CTCT exco must have been aware of the requirement.

One thing is certain, and that is that they are not helping the promising talent to compete internationally. It is deplorable that one Hubber has the means to send Maroesjka Matthee to compete internationally and CSA does not. 

AMEN BROTHER!!!!!

Out of the above a host of questions have arisen.. the most important for me as a participant: Why did CTCT not request a sanction from CSA? surely the CTCT exco must have been aware of the requirement.

My understanding is that requirement was suspended by the UCI, until UCI changed their minds end of Jan and CSA informed CTCT early Feb (so CTCT exco was not aware of the requirement earlier)

Oh PLEASE. Tell me members are not getting value for their R310 a year?  As a member I know I am.

The money the PPA receives from the CTCT is a windfall and cannot be treated as an ongoing certainty with so many greedy parties wanting a share of it....  This thread is about just one of these.

I tend to pay my PPA membership with my Cape Town cycle tour entry (think  most people do). As I been a member of the association for 32 or 33 years - my original membership number was 147 i.e. the 147 member of the association along with serving on the EXCO for 18 years - I think I am in the position to say I seen a lot in terms of PPA! As a fully licenses ROAD rider with CSA / SACF which I have also been for 30 odd years - I suppose you will refer to me as a “racing snake."

So what do I current get for my R310 membership fee:

1. A discount on my Cape Town Cycle Tour entry - which may now mean nothing as I may not be allowed to start my 32 cycle tour.

2. A tiff between PPA and CSA / UCI / Sasscoc

3. Awarded a seeded number

4. An email once a week which I can honestly say I don’t really read!

5. A office staff of how many people?

6. The knowledge that PPA is finically better off each year

Right now I cannot think of much more and this is not worth R310!

So what have I in the past got for my membership which was less in years gone bye:

1. I could ride the Cycle tour.

2. In the post (the post office is not always on strike) I use to receive;

Life Cycle magazine - 6 times per year. I also use to be able to advertise in this magazine which I did.

My seeded number use to automatically came by post, in recent times I have to had to go to PPA to collect it.

A color calendar (A3) with all the event which could be put on the fridge - in later times color broachers for all the events.

3. The Giro Del capo - I personally did about 14 of these events. UCI sanctioned event including the final day the “Argus” on several occasions

4. Road funrides and normally in summer before the Cycle tour  2 per weekend and about half in the Southern Suburbs where I live. So much so you could become a member of a 2000km (2000km of road fun rides ridden in a season) club in a season and over a few season a member of the 10 000km club which I am / was a member off.

5. League races.

6. The office staff was about 4

7. The knowledge that PPA would invest in it’s reason for being i.e. cycling and not try an save save save for a “rainy day."

Right now I cannot think of much more but this was definitely worth the membership fee at the time - which was less than now!

So all that has been lost, has been predominately to save cost to PPA which has happened and thus a nice 20 million in the bank! But the members / cycling has lost. Imagine your DSTV subscription went up each year, yet each year they removed 10 channels eventually you would stop your subscription?

Now I appreciate Carbon29er you would like to take credit along with the current EXCO for the reason for PPA wealth but I believe you are 100% aware that this is mainly because of the "CTCT is a windfall.”

A history lesson and currently the only person on the EXCO who is apart of this history is David Bellairs. Back around 1995 the then EXCO (including David Bellairs and myself) lead by PPA chairman at the time Mr Lawrence Whittaker (the 1st winner of the cycle tour and who also later became the president of CSA - so I think we may also regard him as a racing snake) renegotiated PPA position which Claremont Rotary with regards to the Argus cycle tour. Prior to these negotiations PPA owned the cycle tour but only received 10% of the income and with this PPA could not take cycling further. The EXCO wanted to take cycling further and with some very hard negotiation - Rotary did not like us at all for this - we agreed on a 50% ownership / profit share on this event. Claremont Rotary would use their share for their project (I am sure Claremont Rotary does not have 20 million in the bank, but I maybe wrong) and PPA would use their share for cycling which we did for a number of years and thus the membership was worthwhile.

Today from my points above I am really not convinced the membership is worthwhile! Possibly I should be asking you to calculate what amount of the 20million (after all it is the members money as stead earlier in the thread) should be paid back to a member who has been a member for 32 year and say well please to take that portion and donate it to WPCA road cycling and I should terminate my membership of PPA. I will personally increase the donation to WPCA road cycling to make it a sizable donation similar to that what I have recently donated to wed Killarney and the Memorial track league meeting for Jeanne Nell.

.................. renegotiated PPA position which Claremont Rotary with regards to the Argus cycle tour. Prior to these negotiations PPA owned the cycle tour but only received 10% of the income and with this PPA could not take cycling further. The EXCO wanted to take cycling further ....................

.....and a bloody smart move that was :thumbup:  

Just as smart as building up a R20 million investment that might just make the organization viable to benefit generations of riders to come. I see it as possibly an amazing legacy that our generation could leave to our cycling children and grand children.

I tend to pay my PPA membership with my Cape Town cycle tour entry (think  most people do). As I been a member of the association for 32 or 33 years - my original membership number was 147 i.e. the 147 member of the association along with serving on the EXCO for 18 years - I think I am in the position to say I seen a lot in terms of PPA! As a fully licenses ROAD rider with CSA / SACF which I have also been for 30 odd years - I suppose you will refer to me as a “racing snake."

I don't think your credibility is in doubt.

I haven't done PPA events for a while, and have probably been a member in total for about 10 years with some gaps inbetween. i'm not a member currently(well i think i am, but didn't renew when entering this year for the argus).

I was not aware of how few events they run these days - just 6 on the calender

http://www.pedalpower.org.za/Events/

I think this question of R20m is simple, some money in the bank is good - R20m is way too much, should be using more of it to fund stuff now.

snip

Now I appreciate Carbon29er you would like to take credit along with the current EXCO for the reason for PPA wealth but I believe you are 100% aware that this is mainly because of the "CTCT is a windfall.”

I don't think one current member of Exco takes credit for the CTCT windfall but I know I try be a good custodian of the fruits of that windfall in the interests of advancing cycling in the community. Rather than wasting it on prize money for a select few competitive racers as you have long advocated. That is CSA's job.

snip

we agreed on a 50% ownership / profit share on this event. Claremont Rotary would use their share for their project (I am sure Claremont Rotary does not have 20 million in the bank, but I maybe wrong) and PPA would use their share for cycling which we did for a number of years and thus the membership was worthwhile.

snip

Well done, it was a smart move. And well done to David Bellairs for making the CTCT such a popular event.

Factually, the PPA has never rejected a proposal for funding due to a lack of funds or they can't afford it.  Every request that has been made in the recent past that has passed the criteria has been funded.  Including a number of CSA events. Bring a sound idea to the table for the advancement of cycling and chances are pretty good you'll get funding.  Not many public benefit organisations can say that.

Snip snip....

Factually, the PPA has never rejected a proposal for funding due to a lack of funds or they can't afford it.  Every request that has been made in the recent past that has passed the criteria has been funded.  Including a number of CSA events. Bring a sound idea to the table for the advancement of cycling and chances are pretty good you'll get funding.  Not many public benefit organisations can say that.

Did they supply funding for Maroesjka Matthee for any of her recent endeavours?

I know she did apply for funding.....

I don't think one current member of Exco takes credit for the CTCT windfall but I know I try be a good custodian of the fruits of that windfall in the interests of advancing cycling in the community. Rather than wasting it on prize money for a select few competitive racers as you have long advocated. That is CSA's job.

Well done, it was a smart move. And well done to David Bellairs for making the CTCT such a popular event.

Income of R8,391,313. eight million three hundred and ninety-one thousand three hundred and thirteen rand.

Direct Cycling expense as taken from financial statements.

Total Expense

Total Operating Expenses

Expense as I see for direct cyclists  / members.. There are lots of other expenses. I do appreciate the amount spent on Womens cycling .. :thumbdown:

Funrides

Marshals

MTB Projects

Timekeeping - Race Administration Expenses

Timekeeping - Transponder Expenses

Women's Cycling

PPA own events

I add to a total of R498,362 , so we can start the debate about the other expenses being for cycling ... but .. there are legal fees of R308,534.00 This is very close to total cycling expense.

If I take the above cycling expense and divide by the number of members. 19760 then R25.22 (twenty five rand and 22 cents ) was spent on each member. If I am geneorus and take total expenses R3.9mio and divide by number of members 19760, then R200.33 was spent per member out of a Subscription fee of R310.00. Therefore a third of my subscription was spent and the rest put into a trust fund ... I do not buy into the idea that a club / event organiser should be showing a profit.

Total Operating Expenses

I add to a total of R498,362 , so we can strat the debate about the other expenses being for cycling ... but .. there are legal fees of R308,534.00 This is very close to total cycling expense.

Thats about R800K of R4m - where does the other R3,2m of expenses go?

Thats about R800K of R4m - where does the other R3,2m of expenses go?

I am sure a good portion will be for:

If we're prepared to dissect the PPA balance sheet as we bring more info to this thread, please tell me we are going to do the exact some thing with CSA? I for one would love to gain a deeper understanding of the WHOLE picture and keep some consistency here whilst we do that too!

If we're prepared to dissect the PPA balance sheet as we bring more info to this thread, please tell me we are going to do the exact some thing with CSA? I for one would love to gain a deeper understanding of the WHOLE picture and keep some consistency here whilst we do that too!

Not from my side .. :clap:  , I am very happy with what WPCA do with their limited funding. As I stated in prior posts, they run quite a large amount of events during the year at a fraction of the cost that PPA does.

I am sure a good portion will be for:

I assume / sincerely hope Fly2High missed a few things because if only R500K of an R8m income goes towards direct cycling related expenses.... 

I assume / sincerely hope Fly2High missed a few things because if only R500K of an R8m income goes towards direct cycling related expenses.... 

http://www.pedalpower.org.za/agm/

Download the 2014 AGM reports and take a look ..  As I said, even if I am generous with the expenses and just took the membership number 19760 and divided into the expense number it is a bit concerning.

Archived