Advice needed: 2nd hand or new road wheelset

cobus3000

Hi hubbers!

I need some advice!  ^_^

I am relatively new to road cycling - only been doing it for just over a year and I want to upgrade my wheelset from the crap Alex ones that I currently have.

I have seen some (what appears to be...) good deals here on the hub for Mavic's and Easton wheelsets.

My questions:

- Is it still OK to buy a really well looked after, older model wheelset than a lower spec new wheelset?

- What should one look for?

Any advice will be much appreciated!

Thanks

Howzit drop CCD(you'll find in the members) from Concept a line. I've had a set of his carbon wheels for 3 years now. Used mainly for racing( about 4000km) in that time I've hit a few potholes and some cats eyes. No need to true them yet. Oh I weigh 115kg, no issues. They are light, spin up well and brake well. Best of all Leonards service is 2nd to none.

I don't see too much of a risk. Just be a bit more weary of carbon, recent buyer got duped.

I would recommend a lightweight aluminium set. Relatively cheap to service and maintain.

Hi Cobus,

Nothing wrong with 2nd hand.

If you know where they come from, all good and well. Otherwise take them to a good wheel builder for a service and checkup before you use them.

Regards

Sarge

I don't see too much of a risk. Just be a bit more weary of carbon, recent buyer got duped.

I would recommend a lightweight aluminium set. Relatively cheap to service and maintain.

Thanks man! I see there is a pair of Mavic Ksyrium Elites (2005- 2006) model for sale on thehub. Looks pretty clean and well looked after. Would that be an option?

There is also a set of Easton EA90SLX for sale (not sure of year model).

Ja, also not that keen on carbon just yet...

Thanks man! I see there is a pair of Mavic Ksyrium Elites (2005- 2006) model for sale on thehub. Looks pretty clean and well looked after. Would that be an option?

You cant go wrong with those EA90SLX's, truely a brilliant wheelset!! and @R4500 these are a steel

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/123950-easton-ea90slx-wheelset/

The newer( black spokes) Ksyrium Elites are awesome for racing and training if youre on a bit of a budget and maybe not a 43kg pro racer. They're good value, strong and with the right hub the go-to rim out there IMHO

I bought Easton Tempest 2 Tubbies , second hand about 4 years ago .

What great wheels ... use them for racing .

No problems at all ....

Can highly recommend them , and there is a set for sale under classified's .

I'LL go with that set of Zonda's if they still available. ...I bought Campi Eurus secondhand. ..according to my LBS...Campi makes the best wheels...☺

I'd avoid older Ksyrium's. all the parts are proprietary and Mavic don't make spares anymore AFAIK so the wheel actually can't be repaired easily, if at all. 

I have a set gathering dust in the garage - just needs a new hub, but all the fancy aluminium spokes have corroded into the rim and need to be drilled out...no point really.

I'd get a new-ish Easton's any day.

6000kms on my easton ea90slx, still true and smooooth

Thanks man! Gonna have a look at the ones in the classifieds  :whistling:

Let's not tell the wife!

Thanks man! Gonna have a look at the ones in the classifieds  :whistling:

Let's not tell the wife!

I am so keen on a new set of wheels, but I'd waking up a storm at home if I bought them now.

Hope you can keep them under the radar... :ph34r:

6000kms on my easton ea90slx, still true and smooooth

Sooo, should I believe any of the typical internet reviewers who say they are breaking spokes on these wheels the whole time?

Archived