Injured!! Aggeneeeeeee

JoToast

I was playing some touch rugby on Saturday and when I reached to catch a high pass, I heard a loud pop and it felt like someone kicked me in the back of my lower leg. I knew immediately that I'm in big trouble. Achilles tendon snapped clean off!  :(

I had surgery on Monday evening to repair and now begins the extremely looooong rehab process.

And my mountain biking was going so well; I've entered the TransBaviaans and I was planning to do quite a couple of races this year. Very disappointing.

But I'm positive and I'm getting all the stuff ready for rehab.

If anyone has an indoor trainer lying around for sale, please contact me.

Also looking for a 26" rear wheel to use on the trainer - so nothing fancy needed.

Stuff needs to be in Cape Town or Jeffreys Bay.

Thanks guys!

post-62271-0-88548700-1424353526_thumb.jpg

Sorry to hear mate.... Been there - except mine was only a broken collar bone. All i can advise is have patience. Perhaps while the leg heals you can focus on upper body work and try keep core strong which will help a lot.

If you selling Transbaviaans entry let me know

Best of luck

Yoh that sucks.... Good luck with the recovery, hope it goes quick and well..

Will teach you ride instead of playing rugby...  :w00t:

That is such bad news. I can imagine how disappointed you are.

I also had a big setback a few years ago and a few things I learned was :

Take it slow

Do not want to try and take short cuts in order to speed up the healing process. 

There is no shortcuts

The only shortcut is listen exactly what your doctor say. And then do exactly that. 

I you do that you will also cut your chances for complications afterwards drastically.

If you are impatient you will end up hurting yourself again and actually slow the healing process.

Good luck

Out of interest sake, how old are you?

Friend of mine, and also my stepbrother snapped theirs as well.

Friend was playing squash and my Brother was a SA kickboxing champ at the time

Why I ask is that the (different) doctors told both of them that the most common age for that injury is just below and above 40. That age when you think you still can do what you did when you were ten years younger

Just put a cleat on that white boot and go ride. :ph34r:

He will have quite a non flexible sole, almost like carbon. Jokes aside hope the rehab goes well

Sorry to hear that JoToast! It does make me count my blessings though! I should be back on my bike in April after being off the bike since 13 December last year. How long do you expect to be off?

Thanks for the support guys.

I'm looking at 6 months rehab! Apparently it takes a full 12 months to get back to where to were before the injury. It's 6 weeks on crutches with the cast, then another 6 weeks on crutches without the cast. Extensive physio to get the tendon back to full strength. It's a very slow process because there is minimal blood flow to the tendon.

But the ortho said there are two things you can start doing after 6 weeks. swimming and slowly riding a training bike. That's why I'm looking for an indoor trainer.

@Rabubi: I'm 36, turning 37 next week. I read on the internet that the average age for this injury is 36.4 years old. Guess that makes me almost exactly average!

And I am fit and not overweight at all. Bummer.

JoToast, welcome to the Number 10 club!!! Lucky I am not part of it.

We have two guys that we ride with, they have both done their left Achilles, both left calves are considerably smaller than the right. When you ride behind them their legs look like a number 10.

Word of advice, be VERY patient with this injury.

I would suggest a lot of swimming over indoor trainer.

Archived