Fat bike - what's it like? Will I manage?

Runbikeswim

I back up the Silverback double scoop. Great value for money. It's a bit heavier than my dual sus but I enjoy riding her so much more. It's a great training partner.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seen guys riding these on N Farm and the Spruit lately. 

So I like the idea of a fat bike. IN the snow. Or in the desert. Or on the beach. Or as the latest trendy cycling gizmo to show your mates and tell them "yes they ride like normal bikes" or "good as a training partner".

In fact I was trying to import them when they were almost non -existent as an option, but logic stepped in and I thought some more about a toy I will play with for 6 months and discard and lose money on.

So if you want the cool factor (cause they are dope and the latest thing - I even stop; and look at them) then go for it. But you will lose a lot of money on it - resale ? Non existent. In 6 months time the fad will have passed and you will be tired of the toy.

And riding them up the spruit and around N. Farm?

No mate you look like you are trying to ride a Harley round a motocross course - "cause you can"

Bought a Spez Fatboy Expert to commute. Weighs in at 13.7kg with bottle cages and pedals, tubeless conversion. It's like riding a tractor with that big wheel sticking out at the front. 

I plan on riding the Kalahari Challenge with it this weekend, obviously not going for a podium.

It is definitely more hard work than my 29er and I wouldn't do Van Gaalens or Hakahana or Rooiberg on it, that's what the duellie is for.

You will manage, try it...

I have ridden mine everywhere (including smooth singletrack). It IS great training (hard work to keep those wheels turning) and fun. I feel it is in the same category as a S/S - niche and for fun. 

sooooo....this morning was interesting, how many of you have inflated a 4.7" tyre with a mini pump before?

Let's just say I feel "ripped and beach body ready" after the experience

Priceless.

Hope you told him to go plus size so it's not such a strain next time...