Tandem MTB

AndrewH

Hi Guys

looking for a tandem mountain bike to ride with the family maybe ride one or two events K2C or the odd Argus.

I am mainly going to ride with my older daughter don't really want to spend more than R20k but then I also don't want to buy a complete entry level stead that sits in the bike shop more than the track.

I had a 29er in mind?

Unfortunately our back yard play ground took a major hit last week with the fire so we will probably have to travel to ride on tracks and trails.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by AndrewH

AndrewH

I had a Ventana full suspension mtb tandem, what a joll, but it was a 26'er and the guy I bought it from upgraded to a 29'er, he nearly swop me his new 29'er Ventana for his older 26'er afterwards, the 29'er climbs a bit more difficult than his 26'er brother and handles more difficult in the single tracks than the 26'er.

For open roads the 29'er will maybe be better, but then make sure the gear ratio is right whenever there are steep climbs.

We rode all the single tracks in Jonkershoek with our full suspension, the only places we had to get off was the odd switch back here and there.

Enjoy!!

We also have an Envi. I would not take it on a Sani2C or Wines2Whales, but K2C might be a lekker jol, provided that you are willing to do that much climbing on a tandem. 

I also have a Envy.  Good tandem, the only problem I have is that the rims are very soft.  If you go the Envy option, maybe opt for stronger wheels.  You can use the original wheels with slicks for the on road stuff

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone know of someone harbouring a white elephant full sus mtb tandem (xl/s) in a garage somewhere?

DirtyDan tells me you're considering the Mercer option. Please keep us posted on the final decision/custom build outcome.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! Seeing your replies now. I'm trying out a msc zion first. Got it second hand. Not the exact fit we want. Bit high for the stoker right now. If the bug bites... Mercer will be the first one I contact.

AndrewH

I had a Ventana full suspension mtb tandem, what a joll, but it was a 26'er and the guy I bought it from upgraded to a 29'er, he nearly swop me his new 29'er Ventana for his older 26'er afterwards, the 29'er climbs a bit more difficult than his 26'er brother and handles more difficult in the single tracks than the 26'er.

For open roads the 29'er will maybe be better, but then make sure the gear ratio is right whenever there are steep climbs.

We rode all the single tracks in Jonkershoek with our full suspension, the only places we had to get off was the odd switch back here and there.

Enjoy!!

I would love to see 2 x buffoons riding down the Plumber on a tandem.... 

I know the late and great Johan Rissik had a Mercer tandem. I'm not sure if that is collecting dust or if it was passed on.

Maybe someone else could shed some light on that?

I would love to see 2 x buffoons riding down the Plumber on a tandem.... 

I know the late and great Johan Rissik had a Mercer tandem. I'm not sure if that is collecting dust or if it was passed on.

Maybe someone else could shed some light on that?

His wife is keeping it for the time being