Sports photography :MTB

delko

Stick with that 50mm, it's worth it's weight in gold. 18-55mm is the biggest hondkak around, give it to a hobo as an ashtray.

The most foolproof lens configuration is 24/28-70mm and 70-200mm, on any setup.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have actually found a good use for the 18-55.

When I did club/event photography I kept going back to it. Its light and cheap to replace. Wide enough to get decent shots in a crowd.

I've found it to be consistently bad, poor aperture, soft focus on too many images and slow. It's performance isn't with the replacement. This is the general consensus by most as well, with few exceptions. In concerts and clubs it has been the most frustrating lens I've worked with for the lighting.

Rather put that money towards a better lens with a similar focal length like a 19-35mm, a much better representation of value.

Im also getting into this. I shoot with a 70D, great focus tracking, AF crosstype points and 7fps.  My weapons of choice are a 17-50mm F2.8, which is very sharp, a 50mm F1.4 and 85mm F1.8.  I have 4 speedlights and High speed sync trigger set, for stages shots.

Now I must just go out and do it!

Im getting a few friends to test with, all MTB. Just finalising a location. All for fun.

Im low budget, so no pocketwizzards :)  

http://www.studio22online.co.za/shop/phottix/phottix-strato-ttl-new-coming-soon/

I got the Phottix TTL with High speed sync. Its not as fancy as pocket wizards, but they ultra reliable, robust and works a charm.

I only shoot manual when using lighting, so TTL isnt something I am interested in.

The High speed sync is incredible! Im able to shoot at F1.8 in broad daylight using lighting, as i fire at 1/4000th of a second, underexpose the background and am able to go that wide with my aperteur.

Im yet to do a motion shoot using it, freezing an MTB ride doing a drift, kicking up dust with High Speed Sync... thats the plan :)

17-50mm F2.8, which is very sharp, a 50mm F1.4 and 85mm F1.8.  I have 4 speedlights and High speed sync trigger set, for stages shots.

Im low budget, so no pocketwizzards :)

Not low budget :) 

I know how expensive this stuff can get but that's some good spec lenses. 

Your body is not quite 7D territory but well worth it when it comes to crop sensors.

this is a very informative thread. i am a complete NOOB to this

i just purchased my first SLR , the Canon 70D ( as per my research better than the 7D but below the 7DII )

just bought the the kit 18 -55 STM lens to start off with. so no idea if its good or bad.

i do need to invest in a zoom type lens that can do it all.  again as per research , they recommend the 70 - 300 L series.  

would be using this as a go to camera and lens setup for just about anything -  i.e the family shots , the kids sport day shot , e.t.c ....... no wedding shoots or pro like paying things.

any advice would be appreciated.

Madone69, Dont know how the OP will feel about this mini hijack, but Im happy to give some advice :)

i just purchased my first SLR , the Canon 70D ( as per my research better than the 7D but below the 7DII ) - The 70D has a better processor and sensor, does better low light shooting, so yes, from an image quality perspective it beats the 7D MKI, but not by much.  7D MII wins hands down, but at a big cost increase. You cant really compare them.

just bought the the kit 18 -55 STM lens to start off with. so no idea if its good or bad.

Most people will shout bloody murder at kit lenses. But this modern crop of kit lenses are actually very good. Trust me, its not a waste. most importantly, its an STM (Silent motor), so you can film and focus without the mechanics making a noise. The 70D has great video filming capability with the touch to focus feature.  However, invest in a nice prime ASAP (50mm, 85mm etc..), teaches you good habits, framing and you have control over F-stop like never before.

i do need to invest in a zoom type lens that can do it all.  again as per research , they recommend the 70 - 300 L series. 

Why do you need a 70-300 Specifically? a 300mm zoom on a crop sensor is very long. Unless you plan on shooting birds, wildlife or plan on shooting zoomed out often, I think you must rethink this.

I had a 70-200mm F2.8 Tamron. amazing lens. But I actually didnt use it as often as I thought I would. I sold it and got an 85mm lens, which I now use 60% of the time.  

would be using this as a go to camera and lens setup for just about anything -  i.e the family shots , the kids sport day shot , e.t.c ....... no wedding shoots or pro like paying things.

One lens i really want is an ultra-wide zoom. the 17mm I have at the bottom end of my zoom range is not wide enough for epic landscapes. Spend some time with your kit lens, see what end of the focal range you enjoy. Its a personal thing. P.S.  I spent R2999 on takealot for my 17-50mm F2.8 Tamron, i reckon it was the bargain of the century for a constant F stop lens.

agreed.  70-300L will cost you upwards of 15k.  That's a lot to take pics of the kids. 

I've heard good things about the F2.8 Tamron that Nazmo mentions. and will be great for everyday.

A zoom like this one https://www.ormsdirect.co.za/canon-ef-75-300mm-f-4-5-6-usm-lens will be more than sufficient for sports days as you will be shooting in sunlight.

I enjoy photography...I really do.  For pure enjoyment you need a prime lens. 

Canon has a nice 40mm pancake https://www.ormsdirect.co.za/canon-ef-40mm-f-2-8-stm-pancake-lens which keeps your camera's profle nice and low.

Otherwise the F1.8 50mm is a cheapie that everyone loves.

Total cost 5k and you have money for a nice speedlight https://www.ormsdirect.co.za/canon-speedlite-430ex-ii-flash

Madone69, Dont know how the OP will feel about this mini hijack, but Im happy to give some advice :)

i just purchased my first SLR , the Canon 70D ( as per my research better than the 7D but below the 7DII ) - The 70D has a better processor and sensor, does better low light shooting, so yes, from an image quality perspective it beats the 7D MKI, but not by much.  7D MII wins hands down, but at a big cost increase. You cant really compare them.

Most people will shout bloody murder at kit lenses. But this modern crop of kit lenses are actually very good. Trust me, its not a waste. most importantly, its an STM (Silent motor), so you can film and focus without the mechanics making a noise. The 70D has great video filming capability with the touch to focus feature.  However, invest in a nice prime ASAP (50mm, 85mm etc..), teaches you good habits, framing and you have control over F-stop like never before.

Why do you need a 70-300 Specifically? a 300mm zoom on a crop sensor is very long. Unless you plan on shooting birds, wildlife or plan on shooting zoomed out often, I think you must rethink this.

I had a 70-200mm F2.8 Tamron. amazing lens. But I actually didnt use it as often as I thought I would. I sold it and got an 85mm lens, which I now use 60% of the time.  

One lens i really want is an ultra-wide zoom. the 17mm I have at the bottom end of my zoom range is not wide enough for epic landscapes. Spend some time with your kit lens, see what end of the focal range you enjoy. Its a personal thing. P.S.  I spent R2999 on takealot for my 17-50mm F2.8 Tamron, i reckon it was the bargain of the century for a constant F stop lens.

I hope its still on there for that price  :thumbup:

Robrider, those shots are better than most "I have had a dslr for 2 years now"

keep it up!  I recommend you learn some post processing, you can make lots of those images really special.

Robrider, those shots are better than most "I have had a dslr for 2 years now"

keep it up! I recommend you learn some post processing, you can make lots of those images really special.

Wow. Thanks for the kind words. That really means a lot. [emoji2]

I am trying some post processing using lightroom, but as I said I'm a beginner and still finding my way around.

Archived