XT clutch - why?

Spirog

Is there a "danger" in leaving it off?

No danger but totally pointless

Esp. seeing you paid a large premium for it.

No danger but totally pointless

Esp. seeing you paid a large premium for it.

So why don't they just make it with the "on" setting as standard without the option to switch it "off"?

So why don't they just make it with the "on" setting as standard without the option to switch it "off"?

On is standard - you only turn it off to take the wheel off.

Clutch derailleur is one of the best inventions cycling related in the last few years. No chain slap and constant tension is awesome, like having singlespeed silence, but with gears.

Will probably become the norm, after the "new feature" money making part has worn off.

It also shifts quicker / easier when its off. Or am I mistaken? :unsure:

Yes shifting effort on my XT system is slightly easier when the clutch is off but the difference is small. Since I now run a 1x10 system with no FD, the clutch is even more important because it helps to prevent the chain coming off. To date no chain drops with my NW34 ring. Maybe I just don't ride hard enough [emoji12]

Yes shifting effort on my XT system is slightly easier when the clutch is off but the difference is small. Since I now run a 1x10 system with no FD, the clutch is even more important because it helps to prevent the chain coming off. To date no chain drops with my NW34 ring. Maybe I just don't ride hard enough [emoji12]

I keep losing the chain on my XTR clutch system. Getting a MRP 2X now. 

Reasons for chain drop could include chain too long, chainline incorrect or severe suspension-induced chain growth on rough ground.....or you are jumping the hell out of it!!! What bike?

Chain tension setup correctly? Sounds odd. I run a Zee shortcage, with no chainguides. Only do jumps, light DH and trails. never had a hint of chain dropping

Clutch is awesome. Leaving it off turns derailleur into a normal one. Turning it on might have a slight effect on shifting. This is mainly due to the engagement of the clutch plates adding a little extra resistance. This is why the clutch is adjustable. If the system is too tight think about adjusting the clutch.

Chain tension setup correctly? Sounds odd. I run a Zee shortcage, with no chainguides. Only do jumps, light DH and trails. never had a hint of chain dropping

If he's riding a giant, that's why. Large amount if chain growth. Needs a guide.

Archived