First Ascent Pro Elite Cycling Shorts

Dru

So I recently got my bike, and busy putting my kit together. Obviously didn't want to pick the first thing off the shelves, so doing research on everything I buy.

So I had decided on picking up the First Ascent 8 Panel Domestique shortshttp://www.firstascent.co.za/shop/mens-8-panel-domestique-short/(R699)

But when I popped in to Cycle Lab, sales guy convinced me that the Men's Pro Elite shorts http://www.firstascent.co.za/shop/mns-pro-elite-short/ (R1,100)were better because they use Gel padding as opposed to the standard padding. My question therefore is, despite the price tag and the "gel" will it make that much of a difference for a beginner? Any other brands I should consider?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First ascent not great in my opinion. Spend the extra cash and buy some proper bibs. They are worth every penny

First ascent not great in my opinion. Spend the extra cash and buy some proper bibs. They are worth every penny

Thanks. Noted.

First ascent is fine'.

Have had the gel padded ones for about 4 months and the gel padding is better than the foam ones.

BIBS - will NEVER catch me in one - may as well get a mankini - can't see the benefit.

Let me tell you a story.

I started cycling and insisted that a 2500 rand pair of shorts was for people with far too much money and far too little sense. Or no spouse.

So, like most newbies, I bought some cheapie bibs, convincing myself I was being "smart" and "economically brilliant". I used to tell myself things like, "the pad is just as good" , and "who cares that the Lycra doesn't feel the same". I would even laugh as a rider would creep past me and I could spot that little assos rubber Stamp emblazoned on his gluteus Maximus, thinking he was a tool for having spent a monthly grocery bill on some cycle shorts.

However, after spending many more hours in te saddle as my fitness progressed, I would curse my tender gooch after every ride. I blamed the saddle, and my bike fit, and the terrible roads we have in Jhb.

Then, Solomon's had a special on some Assos brand bibs. This, strangely coincided with my tax return. So, before I spent that on some stupid home improvements, I blindly purchased a set of Mille bibs. I couldn't believe that the needed a special baggy when you wash them. I was like, WTF, I just spent 2 grand on these bastards and they're more fragile than justin beibers fan base. But then i took them on their first ride.

Dear god.

All of a sudden I was sitting on a plush cushion of incredible comfort. 4 hours into a ride, and I was no longer cursing my tender gooch, no, only would I curse my fat ass and the fact that my lungs were burning.

But in short, I spent 800 bucks the first time, and hated myself for it. Then I spent 2000 bucks later and loved it. So, I would advise you to save the first round of 800 bucks and start your cycling life in comfort.

Let me tell you a story.

I started cycling and insisted that a 2500 rand pair of shorts was for people with far too much money and far too little sense. Or no spouse.

So, like most newbies, I bought some cheapie bibs, convincing myself I was being "smart" and "economically brilliant". I used to tell myself things like, "the pad is just as good" , and "who cares that the Lycra doesn't feel the same". I would even laugh as a rider would creep past me and I could spot that little assos rubber Stamp emblazoned on his gluteus Maximus, thinking he was a tool for having spent a monthly grocery bill on some cycle shorts.

However, after spending many more hours in te saddle as my fitness progressed, I would curse my tender gooch after every ride. I blamed the saddle, and my bike fit, and the terrible roads we have in Jhb.

Then, Solomon's had a special on some Assos brand bibs. This, strangely coincided with my tax return. So, before I spent that on some stupid home improvements, I blindly purchased a set of Mille bibs. I couldn't believe that the needed a special baggy when you wash them. I was like, WTF, I just spent 2 grand on these bastards and they're more fragile than justin beibers fan base. But then i took them on their first ride.

Dear god.

All of a sudden I was sitting on a plush cushion of incredible comfort. 4 hours into a ride, and I was no longer cursing my tender gooch, no, only would I curse my fat ass and the fact that my lungs were burning.

But in short, I spent 800 bucks the first time, and hated myself for it. Then I spent 2000 bucks later and loved it. So, I would advise you to save the first round of 800 bucks and start your cycling life in comfort.

Hahahaha, Brilliant story, hahaha, and very well put. Thinking I'll suck up and throw in the extra 400 bucks and get the gel ones. I'd hate something as small as cycling short choice, to put me off biking. Thanks!

Am in the same shoes on selection.....but decided not to get a sexy bib :)

I must say, I'm not keen on the bibs either, think I'll save those for when I go elite, hahaha. Gel it is.

DragoRosso's story ... is one of a million.

I went trough the same, but it is something you need to experience on your own, to believe it.

Depending on how serious you take up the cycling.

You should tell as your story, next year ... same time ... same thread?

Never know, you may end up, with bibs and chamois cream?

First Ascent Pro Elite with gel pad, is a good start. :thumbup:

DragoRosso's story ... is one of a million.

I went trough the same, but it is something you need to experience on your own, to believe it.

Depending on how serious you take up the cycling.

You should tell as your story, next year ... same time ... same thread?

Never know, you may end up, with bibs and chamois cream?

First Ascent Pro Elite with gel pad, is a good start. :thumbup:

Hahaha, true. I will tell the story. Actually wanted to start a blog to record my journey into MTB. Lol. 

Will go for the Pro Elite, actually saw that Sportsmans Warehouse can save me 100 Bucks  ;) . Same pants for 1000 bucks. Hahaha. Thanks!

Hahaha, true. I will tell the story. Actually wanted to start a blog to record my journey into MTB. Lol.

Will go for the Pro Elite, actually saw that Sportsmans Warehouse can save me 100 Bucks ;) . Same pants for 1000 bucks. Hahaha. Thanks!

Go back to Cyclelab and show them the sportsmans price. They have to beat it, so you'll save more than 100 bucks.

Contact points are very integral to performance on the bike

The bum bum being one of the biggest, if not the most important.

What Drago' posted.

Go back to Cyclelab and show them the sportsmans price. They have to beat it, so you'll save more than 100 bucks.

Good plan!  :thumbup:

Hey, just one word of caution. I went for the First Ascent pro elites and loved them as I found the pad was very comfortable compared to their other pads and shorts that I have always ridden in. However, for me, they were not very durable and lasted somewhere between 6 to 12 months before getting holes in the area around the pad... I have a number of bibs/shorts and so did not wear the First Ascents all the time so I don't think overuse was the reason for the rapid deterioration. However, I also have a pair of Craft performance "the hub" bib shorts purchased just after the First Ascents that have lasted much longer and are still going strong... Therefore, maybe consider Craft as a viable alternative??? Or perhaps these which I also have a pair of and seem to be of excellent quality so far (had them for about 3 months now): http://www.sportsworld.co.za/product.php?id_product=758

However, again, the First Ascents were very comfortable while they lasted so it is up to you :-).

Cheers.

Hey, just one word of caution. I went for the First Ascent pro elites and loved them as I found the pad was very comfortable compared to their other pads and shorts that I have always ridden in. However, for me, they were not very durable and lasted somewhere between 6 to 12 months before getting holes in the area around the pad... I have a number of bibs/shorts and so did not wear the First Ascents all the time so I don't think overuse was the reason for the rapid deterioration. However, I also have a pair of Craft performance "the hub" bib shorts purchased just after the First Ascents that have lasted much longer and are still going strong... Therefore, maybe consider Craft as a viable alternative??? Or perhaps these which I also have a pair of and seem to be of excellent quality so far (had them for about 3 months now): http://www.sportsworld.co.za/product.php?id_product=758

However, again, the First Ascents were very comfortable while they lasted so it is up to you :-).

Cheers.

Thanks Gary. Actually also wanna pick up a few Craft Performance cycling tops from Solomons as I see they're running a special (http://www.solomonsonline.co.za/CYCLING-EQUIPMENT/CLOTHING/CRAFT-CLOTHING) , so will also have a look at their shorts.

Does the sports world website actually work? Been trying to get a hold of them for a while but no luck. Also have a nasty habit of getting wary of websites that aren't updated regularly (Copyright 2013?) Haha. But shot for the advice.

Archived