Best Choice Mountain Bike Pedals

Craig8252

Hi All

Made the decision on the Cannondale Scalpel 1, now I need to decide on the pedals!

What is the better choice between the Shimano XTR pedal and the Time-atac-xc-12-titanium-carbon-bike-pedals?

Anyone out there have experience or reviews on the time pedals? I always rode with XT pedals in the past.

What would you guys recommend?

Thanks

Also consider the Look mtb pedals. They are very good. Eggbeaters need a lot of TLC so be prepared to constantly maintain them.

Also consider the Look mtb pedals. They are very good. Eggbeaters need a lot of TLC so be prepared to constantly maintain them.

other that a hose pipe and water. what tlc could they possibly require?

other that a hose pipe and water. what tlc could they possibly require?

Their bearings aren't the greatest. They don't last forever. I have bought many bearing kits to replace the bearings. Normally last about a year and a half, but I guess that depends on the amount of riding and conditions.

I still love them. Slightly prefer the Candys to the pure eggbeaters because of the more stable platform. 

And even the bottom of the range eggbeaters are lighter than the xtrs and shed mud brilliantly. So overall, I accept the maintenance because they perform really well otherwise.

I'm using Xt Trail pedals & they are bombproof.

I am not an eggbeater fan, so my opinion is biased.

My vote will be XTR.

Even X is a very good option for the price!

Their bearings aren't the greatest. They don't last forever. I have bought many bearing kits to replace the bearings. Normally last about a year and a half, but I guess that depends on the amount of riding and conditions.

I still love them. Slightly prefer the Candys to the pure eggbeaters because of the more stable platform. 

And even the bottom of the range eggbeaters are lighter than the xtrs and shed mud brilliantly. So overall, I accept the maintenance because they perform really well otherwise.

ok since we derailing. I was considering the switch from spd to crankbrothers.

I really thought they were low maintenance pedals which is why I'm considered the switch.

At least that's what I read. I got 2 used sets of pedals in good condition from friends.

Mallets and Candys. So I tried them out and hated them.

They just didn't feel as secure as the spd's. I liked the quicker and 'easier to find' engagment. But once I start pedalling I just don't feel as secure. Also clipped out a few times too. I'm assuming that the cleats are too worn so will get a new set before I try them out again. But even badly worn spd's still felt better than these. 

I know there are pros and cons of both.

But do crank brother cleats wear quicker than spd's?

ok since we derailing. I was considering the switch from spd to crankbrothers.

I really thought they were low maintenance pedals which is why I'm considered the switch.

At least that's what I read. I got 2 used sets of pedals in good condition from friends.

Mallets and Candys. So I tried them out and hated them.

They just didn't feel as secure as the spd's. I liked the quicker and 'easier to find' engagment. But once I start pedalling I just don't feel as secure. Also clipped out a few times too. I'm assuming that the cleats are too worn so will get a new set before I try them out again. But even badly worn spd's still felt better than these. 

I know there are pros and cons of both.

But do crank brother cleats wear quicker than spd's?

No. I have changed cleats once in many years of riding CB's. Yours definitely sound worn.

I think the feeling is personal preference. I found that SPD's pull out too easily (unintentionally) unless you tighten them and then they feel too tight. CB's have the feeling of easy in and never come out unintentionally, no adjustment required ever. 

I tried XTR and Look Quartz. XTR does not last long and requires very regular service. Looks also did not last long and had a few accidental unclippings on high speed downhills. I will only use XT pedals from now on.

I have had the following pedals:

Egbeater Candy

They tend to wear very quickly.  They are lowest price point so replacing them yearly won't be an issue.  LOTS of float in general.  Very easy to engage the cleat.  I would say a very nice option for your entry level MTBer

Look

I had an issue with mine - broke the spring.  Look agent replaced it for me free of charge and it was very easy to do.  Solid pedal - Decent click in and out.  Not a lot of float so they feel quite secure underneath your feet.  Bearings did not last that long and when opened it seems they tried to save weight by not using grease.

Time Atac Carbon

Currently on the MTB.  I like them.  They do have a lot of float though.  More than Look.  Easy cleat engage but getting feet out sometimes requires quit a bit of attention.  Once you get used to it, it is 100% fine.

I have heard a LOT of good things about Shimano pedals.  My hate for Shimano prohibits me from spending $$$ on it though.  :ph34r:

My 2 C

XT.

Best-selling, everybody uses them, bomb-proof & idiot-proof, ALL shops stock them & their parts, not too expensive, weight penalty over xtr minimal...

I got fed up with the bearings in the XT's that needed replacement every 6 months.  Did a bit of research and recently bought a pair of Exustar PM215.  They are very light at 280 grams a pair and I believe will outlast XT's.  They also work with Shimano cleats.

http://cycling.exustar.com/index.php/products/categories/pedals/e-pm215-detail

Should not need replacing, just a service and not every 6 months. Cup n cone is supposed to be an advantage in pedals. If you can service XTs yourself I think they will outlast any pedals except maybe for other non-XT cheaper Shimano pedals.

Archived