Standard Bank Ironman 2016 (10 April)

Garfield2010

Was my First Ironman! What an experience!

PE crowd made the day. Those little kids who stood out there with the big orange high five glove really got me into the groove of the run.

Was aiming at sub 15 but managed a 13h53! Super chuffed considering  my swim was interrupted by vomiting fits and water filled goggles.

Will definitely be back in 2018. My wife enjoyed the vibe so much she has already said I MUST do it so she can go along to support. Finished at 20h45 and only left the finish line at 22h30 as she had "adopted" some athletes and was waiting for them to also come in.

Think it would be very different without the crowds!

Edited by DPG

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone in the know?

SO I was a little disappointed at the IM merchandise on sale - though the Merrel stuff was distinctly average.  I have therefore been looking at the online store but have two uncertainties:

1)  Size?  Based on chest size it suggest I should buy a small however I am 1.85m tall and have never worn a small anything.  Is this perhaps because it is an American small perhaps that is a South African Medium?  ANyone bought with experience

2)  Customs - am I correct to assume I am still going to be whacked a big one with customs and duties?

Anyone in the know?

SO I was a little disappointed at the IM merchandise on sale - though the Merrel stuff was distinctly average.  I have therefore been looking at the online store but have two uncertainties:

1)  Size?  Based on chest size it suggest I should buy a small however I am 1.85m tall and have never worn a small anything.  Is this perhaps because it is an American small perhaps that is a South African Medium?  ANyone bought with experience

2)  Customs - am I correct to assume I am still going to be whacked a big one with customs and duties?

not sure on sizing but you will pay 40% duties on clothing plus VAT

I went to support a mate of mine at the finish line and when he came in at 11:55:34 I then and there decided I wanted to do it next year. So I registered (not paid yet) and started asking around from some of my Tri-buds who's who in the zoo en hoe maak mens...moerdyk! I didn't realize how expensive this sport is. I'm mainly a mountie so don't have a roadbike, no wet suit and and an old pair of tekkies. I'm fast realizing I need to Google what Abalone looks like to afford this event.

It was a great event and as a spectator, just seeing people of all shapes, sizes and ages being dragged over the finish line by just sheer willpower is something I haven't been able to get out of my head.

Good job to everyone that finished and fantastic job by everyone involved....hopefully they keep the course the same next year and hopefully I'll be able to hear that iconic phrase over the microphone with my name in it....hoennervleise! 

DJ: It is a life changing experience.. the whole journey. The best decision EVER, thus far in my life.!!

Edited by DonP

Anyone in the know?

MK, Agree... I was there Friday afternoon, also a little bit disappointed. I had a chat with of the girls working there and she said that on Thursday they had a lot of stock. Luckily I got 3 super cool Tshirts and a bright yellow cap.

I'm 1.84m 86kg, tried on a few sizes, but L is definitely correct Merrel size for me (even the shirts from last year) I will happily order my "L" online, without any worries. Not sure about duties..

MK, Agree... I was there Friday afternoon, also a little bit disappointed. I had a chat with of the girls working there and she said that on Thursday they had a lot of stock. Luckily I got 3 super cool Tshirts and a bright yellow cap.

I'm 1.84m 86kg, tried on a few sizes, but L is definitely correct Merrel size for me (even the shirts from last year) I will happily order my "L" online, without any worries. Not sure about duties..

T%he thing is the stuff you ordering online isn't Merrel...  So not sure sizing is as comparable?

I was at the expo on Thursday, at the merrel/ironman stand there was not much when compared to other countries. Same ****, different city basically.

still ended up dropping some cash on crap, shirt, slops, running light, beanie, stickers warra warra.

My thinking is that at the back end of the field it is much more possible to improve a time by 10% as there is more time to play with. But at the front of the course the guys are going to the max and a 10% improvement is massive. The front guys can only go so fast no matter how hard they train.

It's the same in the argus. A guy doing 5hrs can improve his time by 30 minutes much easier that the front guys can improve their times by say 15min

I get yr point but 10% is 10% whether its over 40 minutes or 400 minutes its still 10%.

I reckon for the average joe the course was easier thus the average joe benefitted, for the top athletes the course being easier did not seem to make too much difference, I guess if you in the elite class whether there is 1800 metres of climb or 1000 metres of climb does not affect you as much.

My thinking is that at the back end of the field it is much more possible to improve a time by 10% as there is more time to play with. But at the front of the course the guys are going to the max and a 10% improvement is massive. The front guys can only go so fast no matter how hard they train.

It's the same in the argus. A guy doing 5hrs can improve his time by 30 minutes much easier that the front guys can improve their times by say 15min

I get yr point but 10% is 10% whether its over 40 minutes or 400 minutes its still 10%.

I reckon for the average joe the course was easier thus the average joe benefitted, for the top athletes the course being easier did not seem to make too much difference, I guess if you in the elite class whether there is 1800 metres of climb or 1000 metres of climb does not affect you as much.

I'll enter as soon as the nails on my big toes grow back. :D

haha, nail on my big left toe is threatening to jump ship. hoping not but we wait n see

How many of you are using a coach? Or you just training based on your experience?

Like ADe I used Joe Friel's Triathlon Bible for the full, in conjunction with Mark Jarvis' Strength and Conditioning for Triathlon. Before I made the decision to do it I also read Tim Noakes' Lore of Running and Friel's Triathlon Science, which both gave great background.

I considered coaching but the costs and possible bias made me hesitate. If I was going to do it for a third year in a row I would have seriously considered some sort of input from a coach to give myself the best chance of improving... 

I'll enter as soon as the nails on my big toes grow back. :D

:lol: Jeepers, I'm glad I'm not the only one. Lost my 4th toe nail a while back and didn't know what the hell that was all about. Luckily when it came of there was anew beneath. Now after the weekend I have two blue nails... :nuke:

haha, nail on my big left toe is threatening to jump ship. hoping not but we wait n see

Actually cheesed off a bit, because I made sure this year to keep my socks dry during the run, but nope, still gonna lose the nails. So not sure what else to do. Maybe try different socks?