Where to MTB: Cape Town and Stellenbosch?

ByronH

Hi All!

So I'm driving down to Cape Town (Hout bay) on 18 April from JHB and will be there for two weeks. It is a family holz and wedding, so I'm not down there exclusively to MTB...

But I may have an hour or two here and there to jump on the bike.

Was really looking forward to Tokai and Jonkershoek... but I probably wont do those due to the fires (think they may even be closed as I have read on some other threads)

So, what would you recommend in the Cape Town and Stellenbosch area for me to try out?

Cheers

Meerendal, Contermanskloof and Hoogekraal are all great options. If you have some proper time on your hands then Paul Cluver (about 1hr out of Cape Town) is excellent.

Otherwise you can do the Table Mountain trail, not much single track but still a good ride. 

Helderberg Trails in Somerset West. The climb is a killer but the views spectacular and descend is my favorite after Jonkers firehut (currently closed). 

Oak Valley in Grabouw. Nice relaxing ride not as much technical riding but still great ride. 

And rest thats been mentioned. 

Did Bottealry Hills the past weekend...

Wow! Wow!

Liked it so much - i'm buying an annual membership...

I rate their ST as being up there (if not better) with Jonkers...AND there is plenty of ST!!

:thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Did Bottealry Hills the past weekend...

Wow! Wow!

Liked it so much - i'm buying an annual membership...

I rate their ST as being up there (if not better) with Jonkers...AND there is plenty of ST!!

:thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

How safe do you reckon it is to ride alone?  Looking to do a 4 hour ride this Saturday and I think this is one of a few trail networks that can accomodate that.

Hoogekraal and Meerendal are just a short ride from each other so if you like DH then I rate you try Hoogies for awesome single track. Also these are close to CT - within 25 min

Just please remember that rogue riding is frowned upon... :ph34r: Unless you are a member of trail clubs, make sure to buy the day permits and stick to designated trails only, if only to avoid the ire of the landowners, especially around Tygerberg MTB trails - (Meerendal, Hoogekraal and Contermans ). Bottelary also have trail marshals out checking permits, at least they were the last few times I rode there, the last being in November last year.

But all that aside, we are happy to host you Byron, and if you feel up to it, you can PM me to set up a ride in the Tygerberg MTB trails. I can show you some real fun ST as well as some stooopid climbs if that's your thing... :eek:

[Edit] - You must try the new Epic section built for the finale at Meerendal, as seen on TV, nogal...since I reckon that once wet season hits ( which is any day now ), that bit of ST is gonna turn to mush...

Happy trails either way...

Hi All

Thanks for all the replies.

I am definitely based on your recommendations going to do Bottelary on my return trip home, and Table Mountain.

For Bottelary, based on my research, I am going to do the Red Route, starting from the Radish restaurant, sound sensible?

Unfortunately the Durbanville MTB areas may be a bit far, but I'll see how my time goes...

Have heard some lekker things about Meerendal.

Just please remember that rogue riding is frowned upon... :ph34r: Unless you are a member of trail clubs, make sure to buy the day permits and stick to designated trails only, if only to avoid the ire of the landowners, especially around Tygerberg MTB trails - (Meerendal, Hoogekraal and Contermans ). Bottelary also have trail marshals out checking permits, at least they were the last few times I rode there, the last being in November last year.

But all that aside, we are happy to host you Byron, and if you feel up to it, you can PM me to set up a ride in the Tygerberg MTB trails. I can show you some real fun ST as well as some stooopid climbs if that's your thing... :eek:

[Edit] - You must try the new Epic section built for the finale at Meerendal, as seen on TV, nogal...since I reckon that once wet season hits ( which is any day now ), that bit of ST is gonna turn to mush...

Happy trails either way...

Thanks for the offer, will PM you about if and when I can ride Tygerberg.. Always nice to ride with company, as I'm often riding alone.

And yes... i strongly believe in paying trail fees so hopefully it wont be too much of a mission to find the ticket offices at the trails I try out.

Thanks for the offer, will PM you about if and when I can ride Tygerberg.. Always nice to ride with company, as I'm often riding alone.

And yes... i strongly believe in paying trail fees so hopefully it wont be too much of a mission to find the ticket offices at the trails I try out.

The problem with Tygerberg for non-members is you cannot link up the trails as the linking sections are only for members. So if you ride for instance Meerendal, Hoogekraal and Contermans you will have a longish tar road section between each trail. Also you will have to pay three individual trail fees (Total around R120 I think)

The problem with Tygerberg for non-members is you cannot link up the trails as the linking sections are only for members. So if you ride for instance Meerendal, Hoogekraal and Contermans you will have a longish tar road section between each trail. Also you will have to pay three individual trail fees (Total around R120 I think)

Oh I see... Thanks for the clarity

I am definitely based on your recommendations going to do Bottelary on my return trip home, and Table Mountain.

For Bottelary, based on my research, I am going to do the Red Route, starting from the Radish restaurant, sound sensible?

I would recommend that you include the optional "blue" single track section when you do the red route, as well as the yellow loop which has awesome single track as well - these  sections will add about 45 minutes to your ride, but is well worth it.  

If you have the legs as  well as time, why don't you do all the options?  Red, blue, yellow and green - around 55 km and 20 km of single track. Will take you about 4 hours if you are reasonably fit and have good climbing legs. 

Archived