Fork seal kits?

JXV

Since you're the pro,is it normal for fox 40s that where serviced 4 months ago to ooze gunk and shock fluid onto the stanchions after heavy use?Someone said its self lubricating. New seals or just normal?

You may have got an older set of seals, which did leak a fair bit of oil. Post a photo so I can have a look at how much is coming out though - a certain amount is normal but I'm guessing from your comment that it's a bit more than it should be.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're not doing the damper, don't bother with the air sleeve seals. They'll last you about as long as the damper oil. Clean out and relube the air sleeve in between services, but those seals will be fine.

20W Gold will be fine as a lube in there, Fox used it for a while from the factory. Float Fluid is better though.

Ok great, thanks. Probably due soon for a damper service.

High quality synthetic ATF fluid also works well

Castrol synthetic Atf is R90 a bottle and works like a charm, used it on my revelation and Rp23 services.

You may have got an older set of seals, which did leak a fair bit of oil. Post a photo so I can have a look at how much is coming out though - a certain amount is normal but I'm guessing from your comment that it's a bit more than it should be.

I'm riding it this afternoon will get pics,only reason I noticed is because chris nixons fox 40s which are a year newer didn't do it

Castrol synthetic Atf is R90 a bottle and works like a charm, used it on my revelation and Rp23 services.

where in the revelation didi you use it ?

where in the revelation didi you use it ?

Wherever float fluid or similar weight lube would have been used, think in the dual air side some gets put on the orings etc

It stopped doing it, gunk was in seals and made them open up so it leaked, I found a nice fat scratch on the stanchions tho :-(

It stopped doing it, gunk was in seals and made them open up so it leaked, I found a nice fat scratch on the stanchions tho :-(

Gunk in the seals? Were they replaced when the fork was serviced? If not I suggest you get to it before the stanchions start wearing...

Gunk in the seals? Were they replaced when the fork was serviced? If not I suggest you get to it before the stanchions start wearing...

Stuff got lodged in my seals,I picked it out and held the seals open and compressed fork a few times and now all of it's out,clint checked and said seals are fine luckily

Scratch on the stanchion makes a channel that allows oil out and dirt in. It will also wear the seal lips over time.

If its a shallow scratch there are tricks you can pull like fill it with nail varnish and VERY gently remove the excess with a razor blade and 1000 grit or finer sand paper. Extreme care required to not make things worse if you do this.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Scratch on the stanchion makes a channel that allows oil out and dirt in. It will also wear the seal lips over time.

If its a shallow scratch there are tricks you can pull like fill it with nail varnish and VERY gently remove the excess with a razor blade and 1000 grit or finer sand paper. Extreme care required to not make things worse if you do this.

I wouldn't say its a light scratch

Fox 40 vs rockgarden....

Stuff got lodged in my seals,I picked it out and held the seals open and compressed fork a few times and now all of it's out,clint checked and said seals are fine luckily

If there's stuff lodged in your seals they're worn.

Seals are expensive, but trust me when I tell you that stanchions are a lot more so.

I wouldn't say its a light scratch

Fox 40 vs rockgarden....

Eish - sorry Bud.

• 3 years later...