Fork seal kits?

JXV

Kelly Johnson who played a big part in designing and producing the Lockheed SR-71 also commissioned the development of a special fuel for the plane called JP7. I heard he is not really dead and this team is now developing suspension oils for MTB brands including the golden magic Fox 20W. I also heard that they test the viscosity using MJ to moonwalk on it and that Elvis ons tried helping, slipped and broke his hip and was overheard saying  "I'm all shook up"

Its raining and I cannot go riding :P

Try get the Fox stuff, apparently contains loads of magic ingredients like molybdenum and tackifiers to make your fork feel slippier than Zuma at a Nkandla hearing. 

Ive ordered then seal kit and just need the oil.

According to the fox site, my fork needs their Gold 20w oil. What is the alternative? What about synthetic oils?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've used Bel Ray suspension fluid in the past in my Fox Float 32, think it was 5wt, and 85wt gear oil for a blue float fluid substitute. Bel Ray is available from most motorbike store, like Trac Mac

My fork seal kit has arrived :clap:

I know what to do with the seals, foam rings and washer from what I have read and videos watched. The oil should arrive sometime later this week.

The kit came with a U-slide and a U-grease that I am not sure what to do with. Presume the U-slide is for the stantion? Someone in the know please guide me.

Thanks.

post-57045-0-60368800-1483952468_thumb.jpg

Do not know the U2NR products. If I had to take a guess I would think the U-Slide is below the seals for the stanchions and the grease is for assembly, o-rings etc. 

Where do you gents get your float fluid?

LBS normally always have a sachet laying around that you can use. They will normally give them to you, if they do charge don't pay more than like R30.00.

You can also buy a bottle of the float fluid, but it is a bit of a waste as you can probably do 200 services with it.

Got some feedback from Robbie. U-slide for the foam rings and the grease us for the seals on the inside. What a great guy, so helpful.

Got some feedback from Robbie. U-slide for the foam rings and the grease us for the seals on the inside. What a great guy, so helpful.

Hi Alan. The lube you are going to put in your lowers is normally used to soak the foam rings as well. But use the sachet if you want to. IIRC Fox 34 takes 20ml in the lowers each side - I use Gold 20wt.

The grease can be used on the rubber seal lip. There is a hollow space between the inner and outer seals. Pack it in there. OEM seals from RS come with this grease already applied. Again, for the Fox you don't really need the grease for a lowers service. You can just use the same lube oil you will put in the lowers .

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hi Alan. The lube you are going to put in your lowers is normally used to soak the foam rings as well. But use the sachet if you want to. IIRC Fox 34 takes 20ml in the lowers each side - I use Gold 20wt.

The grease can be used on the rubber seal lip. There is a hollow space between the inner and outer seals. Pack it in there. OEM seals from RS come with this grease already applied. Again, for the Fox you don't really need the grease for a lowers service. You can just use the same lube oil you will put in the lowers .

Thanks JXV. I am getting the Gold 20wt but will use the sachet for the foam rings.

For the grease, I put in the new seals then add the grease on the inside of the seals?

Thanks JXV. I am getting the Gold 20wt but will use the sachet for the foam rings.

For the grease, I put in the new seals then add the grease on the inside of the seals?

Yes the replacement seal has an upper (outer) lip which wipes dirt off the stanchion and a lower (inner) lip that keeps the oil in. Between the two is a space where the grease can be added. This helps to reassemble the stanchion into the lowers without damaging the seals. It also helps to reduce 'stiction' when the fork cycles under load. It needs to be a VERY soft thixotropic (shear thinning) grease like SRAM butter otherwise better to just rely on the same oil that you use for the lowers and foam rings.

Yes the replacement seal has an upper (outer) lip which wipes dirt off the stanchion and a lower (inner) lip that keeps the oil in. Between the two is a space where the grease can be added. This helps to reassemble the stanchion into the lowers without damaging the seals. It also helps to reduce 'stiction' when the fork cycles under load. It needs to be a VERY soft thixotropic (shear thinning) grease like SRAM butter otherwise better to just rely on the same oil that you use for the lowers and foam rings.

Ok cool. Last question: what is the amount of grease needed? Does it just need to coat the inside or should there be a fair amount?