Sir Bradley Wiggins set to attempt Hour Record on June 7

HeyYou

Some food (music) for thought related to the current hour record attempts...

Courtesy of http://www.53x12.com/do/show?page=article&id=134

The Hour Record - 2014
By: Michele Ferrari
Published: 4 Jan 2015

After over 10 years of obtuse obscurantism that had decreed that the Hour Record had to "get back" to Eddy Merckx (49,431 km / h in 1972) and his bike, instantly erasing the performances that came after his attempt, from great athletes such as Moser, Obree, Boardman, Indurain , Rominger and Boardman again in 1996, the "pundits" at UCI decided in 2014 to retrace their steps, allowing the use of aerodynamic bikes again, in line with those authorized for pursuit racing on track.

The previous decision had in fact castrated every interest in this fascinating challenge, with only Chris Boardman (49,441 km/h in 2000) and an admirable Ondrey Sosenka (49,700 km/h in 2005) making serious attempts, which eventually resulted in them doing better than Eddy Merckx.
This however showed how utterly RIDICULOUS the UCI's demand to compare performance that were decades away was, although achieved with similar bikes: a result that showed Sosenka to be stronger than Merckx is at odds, to say the least, with the palmares of the two riders...

The back track decision of the UCI has immediately reignited the interest in the Record, with several athletes having (successfully) tried, or announcing attempts in the near future.

The UCI has canceled the performances achieved in the 80's and 90's, although obtained according to the UCI rules from back then.
Even though Obree's (51,596 km/h in 1993 and 52,713 km/h in 1994) and Boardman's (56,375 km h in 1996) aerodynamic positions would no longer be legal today and Indurain's (53,040 km/h in 1994) profile of the frame was also unauthorized according to today's standards, one cannot help but wonder why Boardman's performance in 1993 (52,270 km/h) has been struck out.
His position on the bike and the Corima frame are in fact no different from that adopted by Voigt and Brandle in their successful attempts in the last months, and even the wheels (both 28") would be admitted today.
Tony Rominger (53,832 km/h and 55.291Km/h in 1994) used a steel frame that would be embarrassing if compared to today's standards, but his front wheel was 26", with a 28" on the rear, and this is not allowed by current UCI's regulations, even though the fact that a smaller front wheel can give an advantage is yet to prove (in fact, even back then many track top athletes, including Boardman, chose 28" wheels in the front too).
Even Francesco Moser (50,808 km/h and 51,151 km/h in 1984) had used a front 26" wheel, but his frame and the position on the handlebars were much less aerodynamic than those accepted today: in particular the "triathlon position" (now allowed) enables a speed increase of 1-2 km/h compared to the famous "cow-horns handlebar" position that he adopted.

- TRACK LENGTH -

Back in the 80's we were convinced that longest tracks were the fastest, and that long straights could favor the speed of the cyclist.
As a matter of fact, it is truly the exact opposite.
The banked curves allow the center of gravity of the rider to travel a shorter distance than the measurement line followed by the wheels: in substance, the mass of the cyclist "cuts" the curves, saving about 2-3 meters per lap, depending on the velodrome.
In fact, the longer the curves compared to the straights, the faster the track.
This explains for example why Rominger gained 600m/h at the Manchester Velodrome over that in Bordeaux: both are 250m long, but the English one has longer curves than the French.
As a matter of fact, the UCI even then had forbidden the use of tracks shorter than 250m for Hour Record attempts.
Thus it is a bit surprising that the current Hour Record set by Mathias Brandle (51,852 km/h on October 30th 2014) has been achieved on the velodrome in Aigle (headquarters of the UCI), which measures only 200m and therefore provides an "illicit" advantage over longer tracks.

- MUSIC during the Attempt -

In the past, the regulation was forbidding the diffusion of music during the attempts and the use of all types of earphones was not admitted either, because it was believed (rightly so...) that the athlete could take advantage of this.
I remember that Francesco Moser, during one of his several attempts at sea level (Stuttgart 50,644 km/h in 1988) was approached by an individual who promised great advantages (1-2 km/h, according to him...) if Francesco had chosen to listen to the music that he advised, during the effort: of course it all came to nothing, because the regulation expressly forbade it.
Jens Voigt during his successful attempt on the 18th of September 2014 (51,115 km/h) was "accompanied" by music personally selected by him and played out loud in the velodrome in Grenchen...            

Music to Enhance Performance?
By: Michele Ferrari
Published: 4 Jan 2015

In 2008 the researcher Alexei Koudinov (Doping Journal, 2008, 5: 2-10) observed that Michael Phelps kept listening to music on the headphones up to a few seconds before entering the pool at the Olympics in Beijing, where he won 8 gold medals.

In his article Koudinov eventually accused Phelps of doping in accordance with the WADA Code, which prohibits "any artificial increase in the transport and transfer of oxygen".
Indeed, many scientific studies show that listening to music can modify the efficiency of breathing and increase Hb saturation, effectively improving the transport of oxygen to the muscles.

Listening to music before or during the effort has a relaxing effect on the musculature, reducing the consumption of O2 for those muscles not engaged in the action, therefore increasing the oxygenation of the muscles involved in the gesture. Even coordination and brain-muscles communication gets better, economizing energy expenditure, with a "mechanism of bio-chemical feedback derived from an external source": music, precisely.

A recent study (Pre-task Improves swimming music performances, J Sports Med Phys Fitness, 2014) demonstrated that listening to music 5min (self selected) up to 1min before the race (200m free-style) improves the performance time by about 2" (1.44%) in a group of swimmers of regional level, compared to the control group, which was to race in silent conditions.
Another 2014 study (Music Enhances performance and perceived enjoyment of sprint interval exercise, Med Sci Sports Exerc) detected an improvement in peak power and average power in 4 repetitions of 30sec "all-out" efforts on a cycle-ergometer, separated by 4 min recovery, in a group of moderately trained young adults.
Already in 1998 (Int J Sports Med, 19: 32-37) it was noticed that listening to music for 15min running at 70% of VO2max showed significant reductions in heart rate (from 152.9 to 145.9 beats/min), systolic blood pressure (from 158.1 to 151.7 mmHg) and lactic acid (from 2.75 to 2.13 mM/l in well trained men.

Another study on elite triathletes (J Sci Med Sport, 2012; 15: 52-57) engaged in running, shows an extension of the "time-to-exhaustion" by 19% when listening to music. Lactate also resulted lower and O2 consumption was reduced by 1% at the same speed. The gesture of running is more economical as well.
The authors conclude that "Music produces ergogenic benefits, psychological and physiological".

Personally, trying out myself while engaged on some cycle-ergometer training, and listening to songs from The Doors, always the same ones, I noticed a reduction in the feeling of fatigue as well as decreased lactate concentrations at a given heart rate. Probably those musical rhythms I am so keen on, induce those neuromuscular feedback mechanisms, sensibly improving my performance.            

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone see that guy who went for the hour record the other day? It was on a Raleigh Chopper! 

Think he managed 31kms on an unmodified bike and was togged out in 70's kit. Same guy who took on Ventoux on the same bike and apparently cruised past a good 15 roadies. :) 

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/660/media/images/83186000/jpg/_83186755_83186754.jpg

Count Down has begun to Sir Twiggys roll around the track for an hour on the 7th... and he's backing himself. 

A abnormally low pressure system is hitting the south of england just at the right time and according to twiggy the air pressure can mean a km either way in the attempt. 

"In an interview with Sky Sports, Wiggins has declared that although he will not underestimate Dowsett’s record he will aim to push himself towards 55.250km. He also refused to rule out aiming for Chris Boardman's Superman record of 56.375km that was set back in 1990s when the UCI rules were far more relaxed over bikes and rider position."

Anyone know if it's being broadcast locally? I'm guessing not. 

Count Down has begun to Sir Twiggys roll around the track for an hour on the 7th... and he's backing himself. 

A abnormally low pressure system is hitting the south of england just at the right time and according to twiggy the air pressure can mean a km either way in the attempt. 

"In an interview with Sky Sports, Wiggins has declared that although he will not underestimate Dowsett’s record he will aim to push himself towards 55.250km. He also refused to rule out aiming for Chris Boardman's Superman record of 56.375km that was set back in 1990s when the UCI rules were far more relaxed over bikes and rider position."

Anyone know if it's being broadcast locally? I'm guessing not. 

it will be on the internet for sure!

Wiggo is the BOSS !!!!

But that's just cos I like time trialing and the track pursuit both of which Brad, as I call him, is World and Olympic champion.

Mike, I can't agree. I too am TT and pursuit mad, as you know - but he's way too arrogant. My 2cents.

Hopefully the UCI will stream it as they have done before. 

See that Sir Twiggy has been issuing challenges to Big Dog Martin and Spartacus to step into the ring. :)

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/cycling-wiggins-hour-record-icing-cake-162916944--spt.html

apparently live:

http://www.cyclingfans.com/hour-record/live

or

Sir Bradley Wiggins will attempt to break the UCI Hour Record at the Lee Valley VeloPark in London on Sunday, June 7 - and everyone in the UK can watch thanks to live coverage from Sky Sports on television and online.

The attempt will take place from 6.30pm-7.30pm BST and we will screen every minute - uninterrupted by adverts - in no fewer than five places:

- Sky Sports 2HD

- www.skysports.com (live stream, UK only)

- The Sky Sports App (live stream, UK only)

Sky Sports' YouTube channel (www.youtube.com/user/SkySportsOfficial, live stream, UK only)

- Freeview channel PICK (replacing the regular programming)

Our programme will run from 6pm-8pm, with 30 minutes of build-up and 30 minutes of reaction afterwards.

We will have an exclusive interview with Wiggins, as well as expert studio guests Dame Sarah Storey and Rob Hayles giving their insight and opinion.

Wiggins will look to break the existing record of 52.937km, which was set by fellow Briton Alex Dowsett in May.

Wiggins said: “Seeing Chris Boardman take on the hour record as a kid inspired me to get on my bike and I want to do the same for the next generation. I know Sky will help make it a huge event because of their longstanding commitment to cycling.”

Robert Tansey, Brand Director for Sky, said: “Bradley is one of the few characters who transcends cycling and the fact that tickets to the event sold out in minutes shows just how popular his record attempt is going to be. Together Sky and Bradley have already shared in some historic moments and we hope people across the UK will enjoy this next one with us.”

Support for Sir Bradley Wiggins’ attempt to break the hour record is part of Sky’s long-standing commitment to cycling. Sky’s partnership with British Cycling has helped transform cycling at all levels in the UK and inspired over 1.7m more people in Britain to cycle regularly since 2008. 

Ready to rumble... Will Sir Twig add another defining achievement to an already pretty decent CV?

Ready to rumble... Will Sir Twig add another defining achievement to an already pretty decent CV?

He's gonna ride like a bat out of hell

I reckon 54.37

http://e1.365dm.com/15/06/16-9/20/sir-bradley-wiggins-uci-hour-record-hour-record_3311138.jpg?20150603103459

http://e2.365dm.com/15/06/16-9/20/sir-bradley-wiggins-uci-hour-record-pinarello-bolide-hr_3311814.jpg?20150605121556

http://e2.365dm.com/15/06/16-9/20/sir-bradley-wiggins-uci-hour-record-pinarello-bolide-hr_3311812.jpg?20150605121249

Archived