Riding at Paternoster?

r0adrunner

We're going to Paternoster for the long weekend, middle of nowhere pretty much but wondering if anyone knows of any cool MTB trails around there?

I can also take my roadie, don't really think the road riding here would be great but maybe i'm wrong...

Was there last weekend . The tar road to Vredenburg is too narrow to ride in my view . I tried the dirt road to Stompneusbaai with the mtb but turned back after a kilo or two very very corrugated and sandy . At low tide I had a nice ride on the beach but only about 9 kms available sp 18 there and back . And then a short ride to Tietiesbaai road also corrugated . But well worth the effort imo .

Enjoy

Once, when we camped at Tietiesbaai, we rode from there, through Paternoster, and then further North along that endless beach. At spring low it was plenty hard and it was totally deserted. I have no idea how far we rode, but it sure was pretty and fun.

post-17716-0-39970600-1429811450_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-51272700-1429811491_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-49590200-1429811506_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

My mom has a place in St Helena Bay. Dirt road between Paternoster and St Helena is decent. Was not too corrugated when I was there in December. Regarding trails, doubt that there is much other than riding the dirt roads and on the beach. Stunning area non the less.

The Wife and I stayed there for a few days and did a ride through Cape Columbine reserve, its gravel road lots of spots that is very corrugated and lots of spots where soft sand catches you out. It was a nice ride though. Visited the lighthouse on the ride.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

In all the years that my parents had a beach house there I only took my bike with once. Not worth it sadly. Spend the weekend bulking up rather. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My experience was also that the roads are very corrugated. Once you are at the campsites it gets better and then you can just follow the road around the coast. But to get to that point will be a very unpleasant effort.

isnt that place just for writing books and drinking wine ?

yes.. it was before we started to ride bikes.;)

isnt that place just for writing books and drinking wine ?

Yes !,and a thief around every corner