New Tires ! 29r MAXXIS

Waynehans

I am a Maxxis Fan!!!!  14000km and no punctures on my Maxxis.

2 punctures....  1st on a Schwalbe Rocket Ron  500-700km on tire Sidewall - almost 2.5yrs ago

.....  2nd on a Conti Race King 600-1000km on tire Sidewall - Today

I done the Isuzu Ride the rock, and 7 races including the Magalies monster twice on one set of Maxxis Crossmarks.  (Got a dedicated wheelset just for races)

I want to dump the Contis for Maxxis.... (Contis were on the new bike!!!)  What do you guys suggest other than the Crossmarks.....  MAXXIS ONLY!!!

Ardent Race. Try a set and you'll find out why. 

My day-to-day tyre combo is a Spez Ground Control 29X2.3 (front) and a Maxxis Ardent 29X2.25 LUST/UST. The Ardent's sidewall crazy strong and I can seat the tyre with a floorpump. It's the best rear tyre I've ever had. 

For races, I swop out the Ardent for an Ardent Race 29X2.20 3C/EXO/TR and the 2.3 GC for a 2.1. I'm yet to use the Ardent/Race as a front tyre, so can't comment on that. 

Try a set of Ardent 29X2.25 LUST/UST - if you're happy with the Crossmarks, you'll love the Ardent. 

My cheapskate option - Crossmark in front & Ikon at the back. (as I cannot afford Ardent Race & I would be having it at the back with the Ikon in front)

Guest notmyname

Wish I can get the Ikon 29er in the 2.4

That will be such a sweet tire!

I think Extreme cycles in knysna has. I chose to go with Vittoria Barzo 29er. 2.25 for a read after I took a root as big as my pinkie through the sidewall of a crossmark on Tuesday.

My cheapskate option - Crossmark in front & Ikon at the back. (as I cannot afford Ardent Race & I would be having it at the back with the Ikon in front)

CWC has Ardent Race for R450. Pretty good price in comparison to many other tires out there.

I'm extremely fussy when it comes to what I run on the front. Been running a Crossmark at the back on my training bike (it seems to last for ever and ever), and just put an Ardent Race on the front (CWC special). I can confidently recommend it to you. Plenty of traction, even in dry, loose corners, and very predictable. Warns you before it starts letting go (totally opposite to a Crossmark at the front). Both are quite heavy tyres, but that's the penalty you pay for incredible durability. Ikon's are THEE crappest tyres I've ever used, front or back.

I'm a huge Conti fan, particularly the X-Kings. I've always run the Tubeless on my 26" bikes, and then the Protections on my 29ers. Thought I'd slap a set of the Pure Grips on my race bike, and they're pure sh1it. The money saving over the Protections is in the less reinforced sidewalls. They're ridiculously flexy and seem to fold under the rim when pushed through corners (not even that hard through the turn either). They're better at a higher pressure, but what's the point then...?

Ardent front and back for me. They just stick. Crazy strong. I currenely run 2.25's on both, but own 2.4's for the front. Just waiting for a tyre to die first.... It's going to be a long wait.

was after a crossmark, but the lbs only had ardent race,so have both front and back ,

These tyres are so good that I bought a spare one today.

From my experience, the ardent hold up better than the crossmark. Better grip, less punctures (I suspect that the crossmarks tread patterns are the problem here), and when I've had to repair punctures the ardents have been better at accepting a plug and holding air.

I was a little surprised at this difference, and quite frankly it may well just be luck, but it's been three dead crossmarks in 6 months, and then the same 4 ardents on 2 bikes for the next 8 months (I commute).

Im using the Ardent Race in front & ikon at the back and havnt had any issues with them, good combo. If ur not doing enduro riding rather go for ardent race, faster, lighter & just as strong

I am using Crossmark on the rear and Ikon on the front, I am happy with them, I ran the Ikon on 1bar for the 24hour and on a little jump track, the traction is next level! Never had a puncture with them ever.

Icon!! About a third lighter than Crossmarks and great puncture protection. I have about 800 puncture free kilos on mine. I had a bubble or pimple once on one of the tires and the LBS exchanged the tire for a brand new one. No questions asked. Great all round traction as well. You wont go wrong with them

OK, so for the price R450 from CWC.  the Ardent Lust or Ardent Race.  I want a good reliable wheelset for the Magalies monster in 3 weeks time.....

I see they don't like Stans Sealant...  Maxxis

OK, so for the price R450 from CWC.  the Ardent Lust or Ardent Race.  I want a good reliable wheelset for the Magalies monster in 3 weeks time.....

I see they don't like Stans Sealant...  Maxxis

For XC type riding I'd go with Ardent Race. I have the Ardent LUST (also CWC special) and it weighs a tonne. Sticks like s#it though. Weight not so much of an issue for me as my bike is more trail orientated.

Have had Maxxis ( Crossmark and Ikon mostly) for 5 years and no issues with Stan's. Very few punctures as well.

Archived