Blairgowrie / Victory Park

nellie

Hi...

So i've moved to Blairgowrie and looking for places to ride - both road and mtb.

Drove past Delta park, down past Victory Park shopping centre and up towards Cresta today and saw a lot of people on their mtb's all around...

So i'm wondering if anyone knows / have any info on these areas and possible trails to ride? Delta Park seems to be fenced off with a lot of people heading there with bikes, dogs and picnic baskets, so i'm guessing / hoping it's a good option for a nice ride?

Also - on googlemaps it looks like there's a Braamfontein Spruit trail that goes all the way from Emmerentia dam to Witkoppen - how's that? Anyone ever rode there?

Thanks

Guest notmyname

Ride(not race) the spruit. There are many start points but fratelli on Conrad road is lekker close to your new hood.

Dude..it's the spruit..you have trails for ks along there..just slow down and alert and smile at dogs walkers runners old age pensioners

Ahhh, this is such awesome news!! And Fratelli is just down the road from me...can't wait to go try these routes out!

Completely new to the area, so trying to figure out where to get some safe riding done... How safe is it for a girl to ride the Spruit alone? Or must i rather try bribe someone to tag along?

Nellie, you're also welcome to come and ride Northern Farms with us if you want , we usually ride on Saturdays or Sundays.

Ahhh, this is such awesome news!! And Fratelli is just down the road from me...can't wait to go try these routes out!

Completely new to the area, so trying to figure out where to get some safe riding done... How safe is it for a girl to ride the Spruit alone? Or must i rather try bribe someone to tag along?

Just go to Fratelli's around 7am on Saturdays...there is always people leaving from there. Between 7 and 10 is fairly busy on weekends, so you'll be fine on your own. If you do everything from Emerentia park to Witkoppen you're looking at about 40km of which 95% is single track. Check out Swamp dogs , Jozi Spruit friends and Johannesburg Social Mtb group on Facebook. Just post on any/all of these groups, it's fairly easy to find ride buddies for most days of the week. Enjoy!

hahah this is pretty funny I have heard of people who put being near the spruit as part of there must haves when looking for new properties in JHB and here Nellie is who just happens to stumble upon it right near her new home

Welcome neighbour, you could not have picked a better spot. You have easily 50kms or more you can ride up and down the spruit completely off road. Go and speak to the guys at The Trailhead bike shop by Fratellis, very friendly, and they will help you out with the routes and trails and probably introduce you to other riders you can hook up with. Always plenty of people riding the spruit everyday and millions at the weekend. Enjoy, see you out there.

You guys have absoutely made my week!! And here i thought i'd have to drive far and wide with the bikes in the back of my car to find safe places to ride! Sheesh...i'm going to have so much fun there! Thank you all!

I'll definitely see all of you who frequent these routes there sometime from next month onwards...i really can't wait to try them out (feeling like a kid with a new toy)

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

You guys have absoutely made my week!! And here i thought i'd have to drive far and wide with the bikes in the back of my car to find safe places to ride! Sheesh...i'm going to have so much fun there! Thank you all!

I'll definitely see all of you who frequent these routes there sometime from next month onwards...i really can't wait to try them out (feeling like a kid with a new toy)

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Lots of us live in the area and will be happy to show you around the places to ride - I often ride around lunchtime in the area, so if you want a guided tour I am happy to oblige - just drop me a pm and we can make a plan.

If you wanna train on uphills,there is also Northcliff Hills which is quite close to you as well.Some really steep hills there and alot of riders so pretty safe.If you like you can stop over at the water-tower on Northcliff Hill ,which has a beautiful view of Johannesburg. :)

• 2 weeks later...

So - the boyfriend and I checked out the Spruit over the weekend...pretty cool! will definitely be playing around there a lot from next month onwards!

How far do you guys usually go up towards Witkoppen? Because the route on Google maps suggest that it goes all the way up there, but the actual trail gets to be a bit dodge a little bit before passing under the N1?

Delta park etc looks awesome though!

BBN - we did the Fratelli start, thanx! And V12man and Franco2015 - will definitely see you guys around once I'm properly settled there

Also - on googlemaps it looks like there's a Braamfontein Spruit trail that goes all the way from Emmerentia dam to Witkoppen - how's that? Anyone ever rode there?

I must say Nellie, you did make me chuckle just a bit  :)

4755 posts on the Hub and you've never once heard of the Braamfontein Spruit  :D  :D

"Anyone ever rode there?"   :lol:

I must say Nellie, you did make me chuckle just a bit  :) 4755 posts on the Hub and you've never once heard of the Braamfontein Spruit  :D  :D "Anyone ever rode there?"   :lol:

Haha, SAGecko...glad that i at least amused someone...

My excuse though - i was on the Hub A LOT about 9 years ago - mostly talking absolute nonsense on the chitchat feeds. Lived in the Western Cape then, been in Bloem for the past 6 years during which i did the odd cycle around here, but lost allcontact with the outside cycling world..

So only recently properly getting back into cycling, back on the hub after 6-7 years..and only moving to Gauteng now...never cycled there before - closest i got was Hartebeespoort-area a few times in the past year.

But i promise i'll try to pay better attention from now on ;)