MTB'ing through the USA

CatGirl

Anybody that has done this before?

Been thinking about doing this after I finish my degree.

There is the dear friend gooogle but just thought Ill ask here as well.

The idea is to, instead of backpack through USA, I will bike through(or do part of) the USA.

My trip will be about 2 months at the most.

it is going to involve alot of planning so would like to start looking at tours/trials etc, whatever is available to do 

The degree will be done end 2016 with admission exams in Feb 2017

I'll do the West Coast....Start in Whistler, BC and hit the following: Squamish, the North Shore, Oregon State, Downieville, Santa Cruz...many other trails I cannot remember now...then get away from the coast and go ride Moab, Utah...Porcipine Rim ect. Not really a "bikepaking" trip, but you'll ride some of the best trails on the planet. If you're set on a "bikepaking" type trip...The Great Divide as mentioned below.

If you're thinking of bike touring, check out www.crazyguyonabike.com or org. Lots of information there.

don't rule out Alaska.  I cycled through Alaska in 2010 and had the time of my life!

Maybe start in Alaska, take a ferry down to Vancouver, cross the border and then move down along the rocky mountains / west coast.  Central part of the USA and the south is cool but not all that spectacular.  East coast is nice but have mosquito's that will eat you alive and not not quite the rockies ito scenery.  Perhaps a few days in New England won't be a bad Idea, you can make your way from Niagra towards the coast, but don't cycle through the central states.

another thing, I'd get myself a bob trailer if you are planning on longer trips.  Trailers beat panniers any day of the week

Edit:  This would be my ultimate 2 month trip:

Start in Anchorage, take the train north to Denali.  Cycle the Denali Park Road.

Take the train down to Seward.  Cycle back up to Whittier / Valdez or one of those places where you can take the Ferry.  Ferry my way down through Sitka, Juneau, Haines etc. until I reach Vancouver.  Make my way to Whilstler and try not to break any bones or do something stupid that would cut my trip short...  Follow the route of the great divide and spend time mostly in California, Utah, Grand Canyon and Colorado.  Take a train to the great lakes / Chicago, hopefully you can find a route that passes by Yellowstone on the way.  Michigan, Wisconson and then into New York State.  Make my way up through the Adirondack mountains to the northern part of Vermont.  Train / bus back to NY, Washington DC, West Virginia (New River Gorge) and end it with a few days on the beach in Florida.

Edited by rudi-h

don't rule out Alaska.  I cycled through Alaska in 2010 and had the time of my life!

Maybe start in Alaska, take a ferry down to Vancouver, cross the border and then move down along the rocky mountains / west coast.  Central part of the USA and the south is cool but not all that spectacular.  East coast is nice but have mosquito's that will eat you alive and not not quite the rockies ito scenery.  Perhaps a few days in New England won't be a bad Idea, you can make your way from Niagra towards the coast, but don't cycle through the central states.

another thing, I'd get myself a bob trailer if you are planning on longer trips.  Trailers beat panniers any day of the week

Sounds amazing! 

The South has some incredible areas as well, I've done mountain biking in Arizona including the Grand Canyon area and that was quite sensational. Can also recommend California.

thanks yall, ja was thinking of Colorado, Arizona and Grand Canyon too

iets om na uit te sien na die verdomde graad! LOL

oja en ja gaan so bob trailer thingy kry just like on the link i posted :)

thanks yall, ja was thinking of Colorado, Arizona and Grand Canyon too

iets om na uit te sien na die verdomde graad! LOL

oja en ja gaan so bob trailer thingy kry just like on the link i posted :)

Koop liewers die extrawheel trailer. Veel beter offroad, en goedkoper ook.