Cycle Lab Fourways

Very strange story. Firstly, to service you bb and headset so often seems totally unnecessary. Done over 3000 km on my road bike, never serviced either headset or bb, still as smooth as silk. Admittedly I avoid riding in rain 'cos I hate being wet.

Secondly, no part of any of the five bikes I own have ever rusted, primarily because they are made from a combo of carbon, aluminium and stainless steel, none of which rust,

So the conclusions I come to is that you either ride a piece of shite with mild steel BB and headset components which is why there are gaping holes in your headset that lets dirt and water in, and why you need to service it so often, or that you abuse your bike immensely and ride through waste high muddy rivers and water filled potholes with it.

Neither of the above two conclusions are a fault of the bike shop!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sorry about this one Bigjmeister, but you are in the wrong here and if I had a shop I'd never want to do business with you anyway.  its not cool to name & shame a shop all out on the interweb without even trying to resolve with the store manager, especially not if you do that on your first post.

CL fourways is really not a bad shop and not saying that they cant make mistakes or that they cannot be unreasonable, but to come out here flaming and blaming from a single incident is just poor class dude...  I hope that when you have an off-day and screw up (something equivalent to tightening a bolt) in your day job that somebody won't smear dirt all over you for all to see on the internet.

PS welcome to the Hub.  Its really not too bad a site if you don't just use it as a naming and shaming platform.

To be honest, the Service Manager, as he introduced himself, I spoke to did tell me that he had already consulted with "top management."  I saw no point in trying twice.  There were a few things he said that were not consistent but I took it at face value and that was what I experienced and wrote in the original post.  The fact that the technician had "resigned," might actually be better for Cycle Lab to not have an incompetent staff member working for them and trashing their reputation.  I just reported what I experienced from someone who was a happy customer, until I found out that the service I paid for was not carried out. 

Hi Bigjmeister, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Please would you kindly message your contact info and we will be in touch to understand the precise nature of this incident.

We have indeed received complaints for bad service in the past and will of course be ready and willing to assist our fellow cyclists who are our customers in improving constantly and learning how we can best meet their needs as understood by reasonable expectation.

We would welcome a sit down with you at Cycle Lab Fourways, should you wish to get some closure.

We look forward to hearing from you directly and understandably hope you will afford us, again if you like, the opportunity to rectify this situation.

Yours, Cycle Lab

I will PM you.  Thanks for the response.

Maybe do the repairs and servicing yourself, buy the tools, lubes, parts and you good to go. Best way to get to know the ins and outs and makes things interesting.

Whenever a dude starts a thread a bout crappy service form an LBS, this pearl invariably crops up, and I have a good laugh at it.

If I start a thread about poor service rendered by a vet, nobody would suggest that I buy the tools, and  tie my cats tubes myself. So, why assume that everyone has the skill, desire, time and aptitude to work on their latest 130K F8?

If I start a thread about poor service rendered by a vet, nobody would suggest that I buy the tools, and  tie my cats tubes myself. So, why assume that everyone has the skill, desire, time and aptitude to work on their latest 130K F8?

Indeed. And pertaining to your area of expertise, I was told that anybody who represents himself in litigation has a fool for a client. So I am always happy to pay an expert.

Has anybody else had bad service from the Service Department at Cycle Lab Fourways?  I can't believe how shoddy their workmanship is.  I took my bike in for a headset and BB service on 25 November 2014.  One week later the crank arm moved off the spline as it wasn't torqued to spec.  I had to cycle about 20km home with one crank as I was alone and it was during office hours.  I complained about it at the shop and the technician on duty at the time informed me that he has heard similar complaints about this technician in the past...  If that wasn't bad enough, this week I felt that my headset was loose and took it to my local bike shop, Johnson's Cycles in Edenvale.  Ken told me that there was dirt and corrosion in the headset and had to do a full clean and relube.  Basically I had to pay another bike shop for something I already paid Cycle Lab to do.  I then called Cycle Lab to ask them for a refund for the work that I paid them for but was not done adequately.  Apparently a decision was taken by top management that it was too late for a refund as 5 months is far too long for a headset and BB service to last.  The best that they could offer was a bike wash and lube...as if I would ever take my bike to their workshop again!  They also said that if I brought the matter to their attention so that they could see the issues, they would have redone/refunded me immediately; just a warning to everyone out there.  It seems that this is a really unprofessional outfit and that they have much to learn in the way of customer service; I gave the workshop manager, "Ido," ample opportunity to restore my situation or compensate me in some meaningful way, but he refused to play ball.  Cycle Lab have lost a customer and I will inform my local club and my friends not to support this business.

Almost 6 months later..... Absolute bollocks chum.

Take the free wash and lube and run (if, indeed, you can do this without a leg to stand on).

PS welcome to the Hub.  Its really not too bad a site if you don't just use it as a naming and shaming platform.

Although, if you'd been coy about the name of the store you'd have had all and sundry here demanding that you name and shame   :devil:

We have had terrible experience of late from that shop on Cedar! And Cycle lab actually sorted stuff out when 2 other shops could not! I hate to be a sell out but they can also be very good, can you imagine how many bikes they do! 1 complaint in this amount of time is pretty danm good if you ask me! People dig to be against them because they are the biggest but they got some good systems going on! Can not believe how bad some of the other guys are!

I hate to be a sell out 

Having your own opinions about something, anything really, is no bad thing. 

To be a sell-out, you would have had to have bought-in in the first place.

Welcome to intellectual emancipation.

The best place to service your bike is by a guy called Tom.

Search Facebook for . N+1 cycle works .

Message Tom and he will have your beast running smoother than ever. Hands down the best in gauteng

Bigj he's in edwnvale too! Johnsons is awful!

I am in Edenvale, so looked N+1 up. 1.5 hours from me.

Where in Edenvale are they?

My wife and I are pretty new to MTB'ing. Last weekend my wife wanted me to get her a pair of MTB shoes. Being clueless where to go, we did a quick Google. Found Cyclelab Fourways, and decided to go there because they are so flipping big (had to have a good variety of options).

We got there and I was blown away by the amount of bike goodness. Felt like I had landed in heaven.

An assistant named Gift introduced himself to us and spent the next 1.5 hours assisting and advising us. We ended up walking out with a R3.5k bill so a good assistant too.

Overall, we were very chuffed with these guys, and even though they are on the other side of JHB, they will be our go to store.

I am heading there on Sat to pick up a nice helmet I saw.

Funny how people often "hang around for a long time" without posting but suddenly have time to extensively name and shame. Nonsense complaint.

Nervous to post on this thread with my whopping total of previous contributions on the Forum but I have to say, the sweet chilli chicken wrap is awesome at CL :thumbup:  Use it - Don't use it, your choice.

Whenever a dude starts a thread a bout crappy service form an LBS, this pearl invariably crops up, and I have a good laugh at it.

If I start a thread about poor service rendered by a vet, nobody would suggest that I buy the tools, and tie my cats tubes myself. So, why assume that everyone has the skill, desire, time and aptitude to work on their latest 130K F8?

regreasing a headset is hardly comparable to neutering a cat. I get your drift, but for starters I don't think the vet equivalent of parktools would have a YouTube tutorial on fixing your feline friend.

It's bit for everyone, but you'll find many many people have been liberated by picking up the hobby of servicing their own bikes.

regreasing a headset is hardly comparable to neutering a cat. I get your drift, but for starters I don't think the vet equivalent of parktools would have a YouTube tutorial on fixing your feline friend.

Ah, but what about some amateur Gynecology? I am told there are lots of online tutorials available to those who seek........

Archived