Riding to Walkerville MTB 2015 and back

mecheng89

Hi Hubbers,

I will be attempting a quasi-suicide ride the day of the Walkerville MTB Classic. I will be heading to the race (on my MTB) via Vereeniging Rd, racing the 35km, and riding back. It gives a round trip of ~105km.

Anyone who is keen to join, starting point is in Potgieter Street, Alrode, by the BP (currently being revamped). Will be going through Alrode, Mayberry Park, down the Steps, along the railway up to Circus. Will be taking the same route back.

Reason: TITS (time in the saddle).

All the best to those who are taking part in the race.

• 2 weeks later...

What time are you looking at leaving?

I am planning to ride from Randhart

Howzit. My race (35km) starts at 8h15, I'd like to be there an between 45min to 1 hour before. Guessing it'll take me/us anything between 1-1.5hr to get there. So the latest we can leave the BP is 6am.

I am doing the 80, but will join you for the ride there and then we can ride back on our own, I will probably finish much later than you

I am doing the 80, but will join you for the ride there and then we can ride back on our own, I will probably finish much later than you

I cant find the event thread, so sorry about mini jack. What time does the 80km start? I got peer pressured inot entering later last night, know fokol about the route, race ect.

Is it technical?

I cant find the event thread, so sorry about mini jack. What time does the 80km start? I got peer pressured inot entering later last night, know fokol about the route, race ect.

Is it technical?

PRE-ENTRIES ARE NOW CLOSED.

LATE ENTRIES ACCEPTED AT THE FOLLOWING REGISTRATION VENUES:

Thursday 21 May: Cycle Lab Fourways (10h00 - 17h00)

Friday 22 May: Boswell Wilkie Circus (10h00 - 17h00) 

The Bestmed Walkerville MTB Classic is putting on a new (warmer) jacket this year, but not just with a calendar move from the death of winter to the autumn slot of 23 May 2015, but also featuring a new venue, new routes and an Ultra distance.

The race moves to a warmer timeslot, although it’s still likely to be chilly at the start line, and the start and finish moves to the Boswell Wilkie Circus just off the R59 in Walkerville.

Distances this year are 35km and... wait for it, an ultra distance of 80km.

Entries are limited to 1400 cyclists.

New route director Darren Herbst (still with the ever present guiding hand from now retired route chief Ken Davies) has devised a route which is aimed at providing riders who would like to tackle an ultra distance for the first time with a do-able challenge.

The infamous Platberg no longer features in the event and the 80km ride boasts vertical climbing of 800 metres – it’s been designed to be rideable throughout with lots of variety.

With the 35km distance the idea is to cater to riders who did the 60km last year, but feel that 80km might be a few pedal strokes too far. The 35km distance still presents a substantial challenge for them, while not being out of the ballpark for riders who have traditionally taken part in the 30km.

Due to large scale development in the area over the past four years, and constant changes, we have been forced to look at fresh routes to keep this special race alive. Together with a number of locals and land owners in the area who are passionate about the event, we have spent months negotiating and exploring in the area to secure trails for the event.

And so, we are pleased to introduce a fresh, new and exciting Bestmed Walkerville Classic.

Bestmed Walkerville MTB Classic

Date: 23 May 2015

Venue: Boswell Wilkie Circus, Randvaal (just off the R28)

Distances: 80km, 35km, 5km kids (6-8 year-olds), 10km (newbies and kids)

Starting times:

80km (08h00), 35km (08h15), 10km (08h30), 5km (08h40)

Entries: www.asgevents.co.za

Entry fees: 80km: R250, 35km: R180, 10km: R100, 5km Kids: R50

Timed by: Great Time (www.great-time.co.za)

Seeding: Great-Time

Entries close: Sunday 17 May at 23:59

Thursday 21 May: Cycle Lab Fourways (10h00 - 17h00)

Friday 22 May: Boswell Wilkie Circus (10h00 - 17h00)

Venue:

The new Host Venue is the Boswell Wilkie Circus grounds in Walkerville. It boasts ample parking, a great restaurant and the perfect place for entire family to enjoy relaxing day after doing their stint on the mountain bike.

For directions to the venue go to www.circus.co.za

80km ultra distance

Every year at Walkerville we’ve have had requests for extra distance, and with the route changes it gave us the ideal opportunity to add in a manageable ultra distance ride. The new 80km route has a mixture of everything, long climbs, fast descents, lots of single track, enough provincial dirt roads to recover and ample windy jeep track. With winter not having set in just quite yet, the landscape is decidedly prettier than in past editions of the event and the whole route offers tons of great views.

With 800m ascent it should prove to be a fast race and the ideal opportunity for those wanting to try out a longer distance.

Due to development and restricted access in the area the infamous Platberg mountain will no longer feature in the event, but we are confident the added distance and great new trails will lead the event sustainably into a new era.

Is it technical?

Website says it starts @ 8am.

Technical, I think so, not a whole lot of climbing. 

Is it technical?

The new 80km route from the circus is not technical at all. It will be a fast race.

I am keen to ride to circus for the 80km then back home aswell. I live up past meyersdal

Archived